Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2022, 11:00 AM

6,662 posts, read 5,619,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I hope the dinner was REALLY good.

(sorry this happened, even if it was posted, it still seems pretty [sensored] to leave the gate open and then give stealth tickets. I'd probably pay it too, but....)
There are tons of pay lots around downtown Raleigh where there are no gates (it is shocking to see how many people actually park in those lots when there are ample discounted/free parking options downtown via the city/state garages/lots)

There's one next to my gym in the Glenwood South area where there isn't much signage at all but there is a parking machine in a corner of the lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2022, 11:24 AM

22,727 posts, read 36,942,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
This garage is run by SecureParking. I didn't look closely for any signs, as another person who drove there said that is where they park (and they did not get a ticket that night.) Lesson learned.

It was a very expensive night overall. Just a block before we parked, we were sitting at a light, when one of the worst storms I have seen suddenly blew up. The rain was going sideways through the intersection. There were a group of large blue trash cans on the sidewalk outside a restaurant. It looked like a giant invisible hand came down and started swirling the cans around, and threw one into my rear bumper. I thought I only had a crack, but $2000 later, I now have a new bumper.

June 16?

We were in Raleigh for a graduation dinner. That was some storm!

Old 08-11-2022, 11:30 AM

6,828 posts, read 9,091,555 times
Quote:
It was the N&O garage on South Salisbury. The letter is legitimate, from the company that operates the parking. They directed me to a web site where there are pictures of the car. There is a picture with an envelope or something on the windshield, but that was not there when we got back to the car.

I will probably suck it up and pay it, but will also send a note to the Raleigh Chamber of Commerce and the City, noting how this predatory practice does not make anyone want to come downtown to eat.
I don't like parking downtown but I would hesitate to call this a predatory practice. You assumed that all parking garages were free. Didn't look for a sign. And were upset when you had to pay. The predatory part is the $85 which is ridiculous amount for downtown parking.

Last time I went downtown I researched my options. And I chose to pay in a pay parking lot.

Old 08-11-2022, 12:14 PM

5,912 posts, read 7,019,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
June 16?

We were in Raleigh for a graduation dinner. That was some storm!
Yep, we saw a lot of folks dressed for graduation walking down the sidewalk when the storm hit. I felt sorry for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I don't like parking downtown but I would hesitate to call this a predatory practice. You assumed that all parking garages were free. Didn't look for a sign. And were upset when you had to pay. The predatory part is the $85 which is ridiculous amount for downtown parking.
Over the years, I have found plenty of places to park downtown, free and otherwise. Given the storm that was going on (see above), I wasn't going to spend time driving around looking.

I was not upset that I had to pay. I was upset they added $10 to the already excessive fee, saying I ignored the notice on the car. There was no notice on my car, nor the other party's car. I only learned about it two months later.

Old 08-11-2022, 12:51 PM

6,828 posts, read 9,091,555 times
Quote:
Yep, we saw a lot of folks dressed for graduation walking down the sidewalk when the storm hit. I felt sorry for them.

Over the years, I have found plenty of places to park downtown, free and otherwise. Given the storm that was going on (see above), I wasn't going to spend time driving around looking.

I was not upset that I had to pay. I was upset they added $10 to the already excessive fee, saying I ignored the notice on the car. There was no notice on my car, nor the other party's car. I only learned about it two months later.
You assumed the parking was free (your words), when it was not. There was a storm and you picked the first garage you saw. Maybe you should have complained about the lack of signs showing the cost to park. Or the lack of a ticket machine.

Old 08-15-2022, 10:34 AM

374 posts, read 239,140 times
I wouldn't pay it unless it were owned by the City of Raleigh or a government agency that might be able to impact your vehicle registration. Private lots normally boot and/or tow vehicles, which will necessitate payment.

Old 08-15-2022, 12:16 PM

5,912 posts, read 7,019,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
You assumed the parking was free (your words), when it was not. There was a storm and you picked the first garage you saw. Maybe you should have complained about the lack of signs showing the cost to park. Or the lack of a ticket machine.
I did assume it was free, and the other party that night said that is where they parked, but that is no excuse. I agree that I shoulda/coulda/woulda, but do feel the "$75 penalty" for not paying is excessive and I did not have anything on the windshield (the extra $10 fee).

Quote:
Originally Posted by codygreen View Post
I wouldn't pay it unless it were owned by the City of Raleigh or a government agency that might be able to impact your vehicle registration. Private lots normally boot and/or tow vehicles, which will necessitate payment.
The letter indicated they would be turning it over to a collection agency. That headache was not worth it to me, so I did pay it. Just to add insult at the end, they charged a $5.00 processing fee!

Lesson learned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary