Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2022, 11:29 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skempter View Post
No, I don't want to complain. I want the residents of the area to make an informed decision.

Yes I successfully dodged your attempt to pull the thread I created into your own narrative... doing so was child's play honestly, you might want to try harder.
What narrative? I'm looking for suggestions. You've got nothing to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2022, 12:06 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,162,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
It's not an easy problem to fix because the "problem" is actually multiple problems.
  • Some homeless have addiction problems.
  • Some are veterans with PTSD.
  • Some have other forms of moderate to severe mental illness.
  • Some are basically asocial (not the same as antisocial).
  • Some are not actually homeless but are panhandling for income.
  • Some are felons that can't get a job because no one will employ them, so they are destitute.
  • Some are women escaping abusive situations.
  • Some are men on the run because a gang is hunting for them.
  • Some are men trying to quit the gang life.
  • Some are people whose lives have been impacted by grievous circumstances that were not their fault.
  • Some are... (fill in the blank).
Homelessness is one thing. Panhandling is something else. It's a Venn diagram.
And believe it or not, some are homeless because they choose to be (for whatever reason). These types have options, and they have people who love them, but for various reasons they find living on the streets as the option for them at that moment.

Old 08-29-2022, 01:36 PM

179 posts, read 151,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
What narrative? I'm looking for suggestions. You've got nothing to offer.
I offered a suggestion in my first post.. the triangle should decide what it wants.

I wasn't the suggestion you were hoping to argue, so you're looking the other way, but its there.

Old 08-29-2022, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Can you show me a heavily populated metro that doesn't have a homelessness problem? That'd be a better question. I don't think any metro area in the US has found the magic bullet on this issue just yet.
What's your definition of heavily populated? And would you consider the local homeless occurrences here a problem?

Old 08-29-2022, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
You've dodged the question and answered with a question.
I'll ask again. What commonalities does the triangle have with LA or SF?
As far as I can see, they are very, very different places.
Anyone who lived in LA in the 70's and also lived here should be able to recognize some repeatable patterns.

Old 08-29-2022, 01:51 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
I offered a suggestion in my first post.. the triangle should decide what it wants.

I wasn't the suggestion you were hoping to argue, so you're looking the other way, but its there.
That's not a suggestion. At all.

Old 08-29-2022, 01:55 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:

The Triangle should decide whether it wants good New York pizza or good Chicago pizza - that's my "suggestion" of the day

Old 08-29-2022, 02:05 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Anyone who lived in LA in the 70's and also lived here should be able to recognize some repeatable patterns.
I've never lived there, now or in the 70's. So please do tell me, what patterns are you talking about?

The only thing that I can think of is that there was O'Conor V Donaldson and Addington V Texas which greatly restricted the circumstances in which the state could confine the mentally ill as well as raising the bar that would be used to measure whether or not they could be committed.

Old 08-29-2022, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
The Triangle should decide whether it wants good New York pizza or good Chicago pizza - that's my "suggestion" of the day
Topic hijacking is your special purpose huh? Nice.

Old 08-29-2022, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
That's not a suggestion. At all.
It certainly wasn't a mandate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary