Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2022, 02:30 PM

179 posts, read 151,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I've never lived there, now or in the 70's. So please do tell me, what patterns are you talking about?
Patterns which would be observable if you had lived in both places but would take more time to try to explain than I care to invest.

However you can just look at the current state of LA and know that much of the county used to be a lot like the triangle is today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2022, 02:47 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skempter View Post
Patterns which would be observable if you had lived in both places but would take more time to try to explain than I care to invest.

However you can just look at the current state of LA and know that much of the county used to be a lot like the triangle is today.
what a cop out answer lmaooooo. You can't start a thread and then leave us hanging like that without knowing what you're even talking about (also haven't lived in LA)

Old 08-30-2022, 05:50 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,736,000 times
I realize that your climate is not as dry as ours in N. California. Good for you. One of the worst result of homeless camps in our part of the country is the frequent fires, in the range of 1-3 per day. As per our local media, 83 % of wildfires in California are started by humans, and more than half of that are started by the homeless. You can feel sympathy for with them or not, the danger is extreme.

By the way, we are among the lucky survivors of the Paradise megafire of November 2018, but that one was started when heavy winds broke a 100-year-old PG&E steel clamp on a high-voltage transmission line. 85 people died, we were fortunate to get away. Sitting in gridlock and watch the fires get closer on both sides of the road can make you paranoid for years.

Old 08-30-2022, 08:02 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,736,000 times
Huge wildfires like the Dixie fire here in 2021 are part of the climate change. It was another gift from PG&E Electric company, among other gifts like the $ 0.36 per KWH we paid last month, $ 399 gas and electric combined, small 2-bedroom house.

From Wikipedia:

The Dixie Fire was an enormous wildfire in Butte, Plumas, Lassen, Shasta, and Tehama Counties, California.[5] It was named after Dixie Road, near where the fire started in Butte County.[6] The fire began in the Feather River Canyon near Cresta Dam on July 13, 2021, and burned 963,309 acres (389,837 ha) before being 100% contained on October 25, 2021.[7]

I do hope no such tragedy ever comes near your state of N. Carolina. With us it is a daily routine constantly checking our phones and laptops for "where is the nearest fire today and which way is it heading?"

Last edited by Yac; 08-31-2022 at 10:12 PM..

Old 08-30-2022, 10:02 PM

6,373 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
The Triangle should decide whether it wants good New York pizza or good Chicago pizza - that's my "suggestion" of the day
I would have always voted NY style pizza.....until I got a coupon for Nancy's in North Raleigh and.....now I am glad we can have both coexist peacefully. I can drive less than 10 minutes in one direction and get delicious Chicago pizza at Nancy's....less than 10 minutes in the other direction to get delicious NY pizza at Slice of NY in Brier Creek. Win-win

Old 08-31-2022, 02:59 AM

55 posts, read 34,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
I realize that your climate is not as dry as ours in N. California. Good for you. One of the worst result of homeless camps in our part of the country is the frequent fires, in the range of 1-3 per day. As per our local media, 83 % of wildfires in California are started by humans, and more than half of that are started by the homeless. You can feel sympathy for with them or not, the danger is extreme.

By the way, we are among the lucky survivors of the Paradise megafire of November 2018, but that one was started when heavy winds broke a 100-year-old PG&E steel clamp on a high-voltage transmission line. 85 people died, we were fortunate to get away. Sitting in gridlock and watch the fires get closer on both sides of the road can make you paranoid for years.

Are you being serious?

Old 08-31-2022, 06:04 AM

13,703 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfreeUSA4life View Post
Are you being serious?
I would venture that in California she's as serious as can be.

Old 09-04-2022, 06:51 AM

236 posts, read 186,357 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CynYgP8PcWc

Old 09-04-2022, 05:28 PM

319 posts, read 255,735 times
I lived in the (formerly) Golden State for over 30 years and witnessed the social decline of which homelessness is a symptom.

First, a distinction has to be made, there are two main categories of "homeless":

1. Invisible: These have fallen on temporary hard times or financial problems. They may be living in vehicles, couch surfing with friends family, or some other emergency shelter arrangement.

2. Street: group is almost entirely composed of the chronically drug addicted and seriously mentally ill. Many of these, especially in milder climates with lax enforcement, actually prefer the streets to shelters due to strict rules (drugs, guests, curfews, etc).

Affordable housing can certainly help with type 1. But for the latter, it's money down the drain. Case in point:
https://www.dailynews.com/2022/03/02...-money-emerges

Unfortunately, the vast mast majority of the street homelessness need to be forcibly institutionalized.

You cannot save those who wish not be saved.

Old 09-04-2022, 07:39 PM

563 posts, read 955,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dariusxiv View Post
Affordable housing can certainly help with type 1. But for the latter, it's money down the drain. Case in point:
https://www.dailynews.com/2022/03/02...-money-emerges
That website is known for having right biased editorials and the article in that link is labeled an opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary