Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2022, 07:22 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times

Advertisements

OT - “Ladies and gentleman, an announcement.

Can the person who referred to GVoR as Karen and told him to go back to Nextdoor, Anonymously (FFS) please come to the C-D hostess station and kiss his grundle?

I repeat. Can the real anonymous hero who called GVoR Karen and told him to go back to Nextdoor, please report to the hostess station. A grundle is waiting for you there.

Everyone knows Nextdoor is for olds. Thank you for your attention.”
Attached Thumbnails
School ... not thriving in public "teach to test"-ce374486-6ffb-4e85-b052-26119c69dbb5.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2022, 07:26 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
OT - “Ladies and gentleman, an announcement.

Can the person who referred to GVoR as Karen and told him to go back to Nextdoor, Anonymously (FFS) please come to the C-D hostess station and kiss his grundle?

I repeat. Can the real anonymous hero who called GVoR Karen and told him to go back to Nextdoor, please report to the hostess station. A grundle is waiting for you there.

Everyone knows Nextdoor is for olds. Thank you for your attention.”
A bunch of people have gotten these including myself. Not just recently either.

Old 09-06-2022, 07:27 PM

563 posts, read 955,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
I had the same thing happen on a different post with the exact same wording.

Old 09-06-2022, 07:27 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
A bunch of people have gotten these including myself. Not just recently either.
Like monkeys throwing **** at the zoo.

Old 09-06-2022, 07:46 PM

805 posts, read 523,514 times
Quote:
It says it right there in the abstract:

The back and forth in this thread started in response to someone who claimed magnet schools exist to make sure that everyone gets an "equitable" education. Low SES students don't need higher SES students to receive an "equitable" education. Sure, magnet schools help to increase school diversity and raise test scores in a specific schools, but again, it does very little to help boost the students that live in that base zone and need the help. Nothing can fix that - except the parents.

I'm not against magnet schools. I think it's fine to create diversity via voluntary programs. But we shouldn't pretend that it helps lower SES students succeed.
Did you read beyond the abstract?

They found benefits, not costs.

Old 09-06-2022, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickandiron View Post

A slight benefit in only math doesn't really count for much in my opinion. Not enough that they'd mention it in the abstract.

Old 09-06-2022, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickandiron View Post

https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED407475.pdf

Quote:

Other studies show that students in choice programs may not fare any better than those in a
neighborhood school system. One study comparing
choice schools and comprehensive public schools
found that although the choice schools were more
racially diverse, there was no difference in achievement levels." In another study, a case study of the
Milwaukee program which provides parents vouchers to send children to certain private schools, the
author found that the students in the private
schools did no better on tests than a group of randomly selected public school students.° Recently,
however, both the procedure and the findings of the
Milwaukee study have been criticized." One recent
study asserted that the students in the voucher program for three and four years scored higher on
standardized tests than the students who had
applied for the program but were not accepted due
to space limitations."

Thus, while there is some evidence that magnet
school attendance brings benefits to minority and low-income students, more research is needed before
firm conclusions can be drawn.
In other words anyone can find a study that supports their opinion. My opinion is that parental involvement is the most important, and magnet schools, while beneficial mostly to the higher-SES children, are really about creating the diversity optic versus actually helping needy students.

Old 09-06-2022, 08:53 PM

563 posts, read 955,198 times
Quote:
One of the very few good things that came out of Covid, is that many more people started paying attention to schools, teachers, and school boards.
That is when much of the misinformation was promoted on social media and other websites, which certain people continue to push. Unfortunately, it will negatively affect teachers and students in the long run.

Old 09-06-2022, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieRTP View Post
That is when much of the misinformation was promoted on social media and other websites, which certain people continue to push. Unfortunately, it will negatively affect teachers and students in the long run.
Regardless of your opinions on topics on social media, the more people paying attention to the school board and voting in elections, the better. For example prior to Covid, we probably never would have known that the school board was blatantly lying to the public in order to insert their preferred candidate into district 4.

Old 09-07-2022, 04:04 AM

805 posts, read 523,514 times
Quote:
A slight benefit in only math doesn't really count for much in my opinion. Not enough that they'd mention it in the abstract.
I think you misunderstood the purpose of that research. The purpose was to investigate if the claims of harm are true. That’s why the abstract and title is that way. Instead of harm, they found benefits.

Feel free to do your own research through the decades of studies showing benefits. I chose the most recent one I came across that was applicable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary