Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2022, 04:58 AM

129 posts, read 115,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by colete00 View Post
Yes it is early. We moved here 9 months ago and this school year has just started, so my post is more about having places to research this fall and if we decide to make a change have applications in on time this winter for the following year. I would love nothing more than for him to have a great year and stay at Joyner.
To answer your question, you can join ITB Recommendations on Facebook if you have. There is a current post asking about educational consultants. Just a peek at their websites will give you an idea of options and deadlines. Hope Joyner works out for you, it's early as you said, but definitely no harm in educating yourself on options even if it only reconfirms you are happy where you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2022, 05:10 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
OT - “Ladies and gentleman, an announcement.

Can the person who referred to GVoR as Karen and told him to go back to Nextdoor, Anonymously (FFS) please come to the C-D hostess station and kiss his grundle?

I repeat. Can the real anonymous hero who called GVoR Karen and told him to go back to Nextdoor, please report to the hostess station. A grundle is waiting for you there.

Everyone knows Nextdoor is for olds. Thank you for your attention.”
I feel privileged, I got one too.

Of course, they spelled my name wrong, it's Karyn and my neighbor has already returned to their Florida house for the winter so I have no way of going nextdoor.

Old 09-07-2022, 05:58 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Regardless of your opinions on topics on social media, the more people paying attention to the school board and voting in elections, the better. For example prior to Covid, we probably never would have known that the school board was blatantly lying to the public in order to insert their preferred candidate into district 4.
While I wholeheartedly agree that people should pay attention when it comes to elections; be it local, state or Federal, I think your point, that COVID, the longest running Pandemic in the history of the country and a once in a lifetime event, was the catalyst, is actually an indictment of our society you are skipping right past in your post.

It shouldn't take a catastrophic event for people to not be lazy and actually pay attention. You want a better school district, dog catcher, Local, State or Federal government...you need to be better citizens. This ish isn't magic, Representative Democracies just don't establish themselves using The Force. An engaged citizenry is the only bulwark against the form of government I grew up in; A Military Dictatorship/Junta combined with an Oligarchy.

It's really that simple. You want a better government, be a better citizen. Full Stop. Bad citizens enable bad policy and bad actors to represent them. Can't complain if you (the royal you) don't play the game.

As for social media, and I say this as a Millenial who was at one of the first colleges to get Facebook when it came out (had to have a .edu email address to join), it has done little positive for our society. It has killed our ability to engage with one another in an analog sense, its algorithms have reinforced the worst of us as a means to make more money through engagement and is an unregulated drug which has the same physiological effects on our brain that a gambling addiction does.

To make a play on a Buffalo Springfield line, Apathy strikes deep. Into your life it will creep.

Last edited by GVoR; 09-07-2022 at 06:13 AM..

Old 09-07-2022, 06:09 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
I feel privileged, I got one too.

Of course, they spelled my name wrong, it's Karyn and my neighbor has already returned to their Florida house for the winter so I have no way of going nextdoor.
Hopefully your neighbor knows what a coyote is and isn’t.

https://twitter.com/bestofnextdoor/s...3rR-X3OQZsVIyQ

Old 09-07-2022, 06:11 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:

https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED407475.pdf

In other words anyone can find a study that supports their opinion. My opinion is that parental involvement is the most important, and magnet schools, while beneficial mostly to the higher-SES children, are really about creating the diversity optic versus actually helping needy students.
Then why cite a study that contradicts your opinion? Basically it says, "it looks like there's a benefit, more research is needed."

Old 09-07-2022, 06:25 AM

Quote:
While I wholeheartedly agree that people should pay attention when it comes to election; be it local, state of Federal, I think your point, that COVID, the longest running Pandemic in the history of the country and a once in a lifetime event, was the catalyst, is actually an indictment of our society you are skipping right past in your post.

It shouldn't take a catastrophic event for people to not be lazy and actually pay attention. You want a better school district, dog catcher, Local, State or Federal government...you need to be better citizens. This ish isn't magic, Representative Democracies just don't establish themselves using The Force. An engaged citizenry is the only bulwark against the form of government I grew up in; A Military Dictatorship/Junta combined with an Oligarchy.

It's really that simple. You want a better government, be a better citizen. Full Stop. Bad citizens enable bad policy and bad actors to represent them. Can't complain if you (the royal you) don't play the game.

As for social media, and I say this as a Millenial who was at one of the first colleges to get Facebook when it came out, it has done little positive for our society. It has killed our ability to engage with one another in an analog sense, its algorithms have reinforced the worst of us as a means to make more money through engagement and is an unregulated drug which has the same physiological effects on our brain that a gambling addiction does.

To make a play on a Buffalo Springfield line, Apathy strikes deep. Into your life it will creep.
Nicely stated!!!

Old 09-07-2022, 06:27 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Then why cite a study that contradicts your opinion? Basically it says, "it looks like there's a benefit, more research is needed."
It also looks like it might rain tomorrow, but more research is needed.

Dude just let people have different opinions than you- not everyone needs to agree with you in life. You posted an article that leans toward your side, I posted an article that said otherwise. It’s ok. I respect your opinion, I wish you (and others in this forum) would do the same.

Old 09-07-2022, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Hopefully your neighbor knows what a coyote is and isn’t.

https://twitter.com/bestofnextdoor/s...3rR-X3OQZsVIyQ
HA, even I know that's a Jackalope........

Old 09-08-2022, 08:39 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colete00 View Post
We just moved to Raleigh (ITB) and my son is enrolled at Joyner. Its a cute school and beloved by our neighborhood, but my son is bored to tears and needs more on a "hands on" environment, where he can have more projects and more space to think about it ... he has an engineer brain like his dad and this "teach to test" world is just not a fit. My daughter does fine in it, but he is just not doing well.

We did not budget for private, so I am looking at charter or other options, but I would love to hear thoughts for Public, Private, Magnet and Charter. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
K-12 education has changed considerably over the last five decades. Teaching style and methodology is very different. Standards and standardized teaching methodology has helped some students at the detriment of others. Socrates would be found unsatisfactory in the modern public school system as frontal teaching is out of mode.

https://www.thinkimpact.com/how-many...ers-in-the-us/

Quote:
In 2019-2020, there were 3,808,920 public school instructional staff in the United States, overall.
The same year, there were 3,214,673 public school teachers in the U.S.
Name me one thing 3.2 million people do well or even competently? So standards become necessary but do the top 100k need to be treated the same as the lower 1/2?

So how to find the best and the appropriate for your child? Thats your mission! Have bucks to buy in the right school district or for private or a legitimate STEM academy with truly top students and teachers clustered in a ongoing process of real gifted education. Not all academies have the same real mission as opposed to a public statement.

Old 09-08-2022, 08:49 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
I'm not aware of any data outside of test scores, and test scores don't really help if it's just "look test scores went up when we brought in less-poor kids!" If there are studies on individual students, I'd like to see them, but your anecdotal experiences don't really mean a whole lot.

Can you provide any data to back up your assumption that bringing in "more well off" kids is helping kids succeed who otherwise would not? I just have a hard time believing that bringing in white, Indian, Asian kids from western Wake is going to make kids in these struggling base zones say "wow! I really want to succeed more in school now, even though I have very little help or motivation from my parents!".
Higher performing schools have better teacher retention and are usually more able to recruit top candidates. Central office can send candidates to the schools they want for interviews but the teacher will sign the contract to go where they want. Wealthier parents tend to fund raise more and be more involved. etc etc etc.

One thought to consider is the following and each will have to decide if they think it has merit.

Negative peer pressure is a dominant gene!
Positive peer pressure is a negative gene!

Do you want your kid eating lunch with non-motivated underachieving students or motivated achievers?

Do you really think African American teens aren't influenced and intimidated by negative African American Behavior?

Have you ever heard of successful Black folk being accused of acting White by other African Americans?

Which vibe do you think if dominant in school hallways will influence student success most?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary