Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2022, 02:14 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
I looked at the plans and they seem to make a lot of sense given the logistical issues with the bus. Our area isn't affected, but we stabilized our school assignments through high school by going to a magnet school.
You shouldn’t have to go to a school 30 minutes away to get stability for your children.

Reassignments are necessary but should only be done when absolutely necessary, not as a “let’s try this and hope for the best” type of deal. Also the caps should be enforced instead of reassigning out established residents to make room for new residents.

Last edited by m378; 09-22-2022 at 02:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2022, 02:52 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
I am beginning to wonder if any of the leaders in this space here have any background at all in logistics. Freaking computer models can do a bang up job drawing up districts (shh, don't tell the politicians, they'll lose their wooby, Jerry Mander). How does a "transportation district" that in part covers a town with the population of ~45K (which itself has 3.5 HS, 3 MS and 3 ES plus whatever else gets transportation services) take buses 25 mins out? I mean when I moved here, the locals (both here and in real life) made it sound like a drive of 20 mins in this metro was akin to moving heaven and earth "20 Mins! That's like driving to the end of the Earth here!"....yet here we are. LOL.

This all reminds of the Snowmagedan winter we had in MA back in 2013-2014. The MBTA Commuter Rail was brought to its knees....because cold. Technicians were out with blow torches manually warming up rails to get trains running.

Thats right, a nearly 200 year old invention was stopped dead....by cold. Not North Dakota cold. Not Frozen Tundra of Siberia cold. Just your run of the mill sub 32 degree day.

I will say, I have been on the other side of this general discussion (WCPSS) than you and m378 typically are (for different reasons obviously). But the "how it's supported logistically" stuff is like they went down to the local street corner and hired the first three people who didn't wave their arms and scream out loud to figure this ish out.

"Hey, you have a pulse and four firing synapses!? You're hired! Sign here"
Same with the Long Island RailRoad. My dad commuted for 30 years and I don't remember him having any issues getting home. Now it's just as you describe.

Old 09-22-2022, 02:54 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
You shouldn’t have to go to a school 30 minutes away to get stability for your children.

Reassignments are necessary but should only be done when absolutely necessary, not as a “let’s try this and hope for the best” type of deal. Also the caps should be enforced instead of reassigning out established residents to make room for new residents.
Some of the proposed reassignments make sense - like sending Brookstone to Green Hope instead of Apex. But some are typical WCPSS - they reassigned Dogwood Ridge from Apex to AFHS when it opened. Now they are assigning them back. But Dogwood Ridge is connected to Pearson Farms (they share pool/tennis etc) and Pearson Farms is staying at AFHS. Head scratcher.

Old 09-22-2022, 03:09 PM

The feedback “forum” they’re using this year is an absolute disaster as well. I don’t understand the point of it at all, there’s no way to interact with a human, nobody responding the comments. Wait, maybe that is the point…

Old 10-14-2022, 09:16 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,721,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Some of the proposed reassignments make sense - like sending Brookstone to Green Hope instead of Apex. But some are typical WCPSS - they reassigned Dogwood Ridge from Apex to AFHS when it opened. Now they are assigning them back. But Dogwood Ridge is connected to Pearson Farms (they share pool/tennis etc) and Pearson Farms is staying at AFHS. Head scratcher.

I need an explanation for this one then...

We're currently zoned for Neuse River MS (modified calendar) with Wendell as the traditional option. Under the new plan, there is no calendar option.

Old 08-03-2023, 09:15 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,741,311 times
Shortage of bus drivers creating no drivers for 17 bus routes. It says all options are being considered, including delaying the start of school by 1 hour so drivers and parents have time? What kind of ridiculous answer is that? Pay is still not being increased enough for someone to do the job.

Bus driver shortage crisis: Wake County Schools debate starting school 1 hour later, other options
https://abc11.com/nc-bus-driver-shor...ions/13588813/

Old 08-03-2023, 10:35 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
Pay has been increased more than 25% over the past few years and they still can't fill the jobs. It appears they can't raise wages further at the moment because there's no state budget. Wake County also gave them $5 million less toward their portion than WCPSS had requested.

But yes, it's unacceptable. This isn't a first-time issue and it's getting worse, not better. Figure out a way to get it done. The board recognizes it's unacceptable, but I don't know what their solution is unless money magically appears. They've already begged families to decline transportation, and they've begged retirees to pitch in, and they're still not where they need to be.

Old 08-03-2023, 10:45 AM

Re-allocating budget from non-essential programs would be a good start. I think buses should take priority over equity affairs for example, especially since the busing issue is literally an equity issue in itself.

Last edited by m378; 08-03-2023 at 11:13 AM..

Old 08-03-2023, 10:40 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,352,399 times
And here I thought providing sound basic education to everyone in NC was a state constitutional right. I don't see how you do that if you can't provide reliable transportation for students to their assigned schools. If the county can't pay sufficient wages and benefits to attract staff to drive buses (highly questionable IMO), then the only real alternative is to reduce the need for more bus drivers. That likely means minimizing the drive time for students as much as possible, which is not something the Wake County school board has been willing to do in the past.

Old 08-04-2023, 06:55 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
WCPSS transportation has been a problem for decades. They used to hire high school students as bus drivers for the elementary schools. That practice had to be abandoned and several years of disruption ensued.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary