Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2022, 08:42 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I bet if you put pins in a map you'd find it skews heavily towards the far southeast (the Buck Jones-Tryon-Jones Franklin area) that buts up to a so-so part of Raleigh and the Northwest where it buts up to Durham. That's just a guess though.

Your missing my point (I think) to some extent. Take Cary. It's 60 square miles and 177K people. The towns you point out are much smaller. One could take entire subdivisions of Cary to compare more accurately. Or lump 5 towns in Mass.

Also, I don't know why you don't consider Brookline an appropriate comparison given its size and proximity to Boston proper.
I understand your point, but my point is if you took any of the towns I listed, and included 3 or 4 surrounding towns to get to a similar population, you'd still find the average crime rates per capita better in MA. I mentioned Woburn because it borders Winchester, the same goes for Medford, it has a similar crime rate as Cary. So even if you take the "worst" and "least desirable" surrounding towns, they have similar crime rates as Cary.

If you take Winchester, it's bordering towns and their associated crime indexes according to neighborhood scout are:

Medford 55
Stoneham 69
Woburn 54
Lexington 89
Arlington 89

Average (with Winchester at 83): 73

Cary Crime Index: 57

That's a pretty significant difference. Granted some of these towns have been gentrified to death over the years (Medford and Arlington especially), so maybe the Triangle is just behind on the gentrification front which may very well be the case.

I didn't consider Brookline because I was using 128 belt suburbs because I felt they were the fairest comparison to Cary. Brookline butts right up to urban Boston, which would be more similar to ITB in the Triangle, in my opinion.

Last edited by m378; 11-01-2022 at 08:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2022, 09:51 AM

1,326 posts, read 722,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I didn't consider Brookline because I was using 128 belt suburbs because I felt they were the fairest comparison to Cary. Brookline butts right up to urban Boston, which would be more similar to ITB in the Triangle, in my opinion.
I don't think Brookline is comparable to ITB since that's the core of Raleigh (unless you just mean specific parts of ITB), but I don't think Brookline is comparable to Cary either fwiw. It's more like a Boston neighborhood to me than a suburb pe se.

Old 11-01-2022, 10:51 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Less crime in MA and MA also has stricter gun laws. Not hard to draw a correlation.

Decent article on it in Reader's Digest of all places https://www.rd.com/article/gun-violence-statistics/

If you're a data nerd you might enjoy wading through this: https://towardsdatascience.com/what-...s-da01d9fb7413

Last edited by poppydog; 11-01-2022 at 11:04 AM..

Old 12-12-2022, 02:45 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Anyone seen any updates on this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary