Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2023, 05:21 PM

9,150 posts, read 14,788,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconologist View Post
false. check out louis stephens between kit creek and little.
I'll drive by there tomorrow and give it a look. I did go through there on Friday but it was night and I was heading from Davis to the shopping center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2023, 10:36 AM

4,268 posts, read 4,726,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codygreen View Post
Apple coming to the Triangle will (and already has) greatly accelerated the pace of gentrification and income inequality in our area.
Actually, on an apples-apples basis I'd say that Apple's arrival is not a strong direct factor in gentrification simply because of where Apple will be located. There aren't many lower income neighborhoods near RTP (e.g. north Raleigh, Cary, CH, Morrisville, Apex, Holly Springs, F-V, Hope Valley, etc) where many Apple newcomers are likely to settle simply because of the traffic situation. If Apple were locating in downtown Raleigh or downtown Durham, your argument would be stronger. Sure, in an indirect sense Apple's arrival contributes to gentrification but so does any form of economic growth. As for income inequality, I'm not sure what you would rather have. It wasn't that long ago, before RTP, when tobacco farming was the number one income producer in this part of NC. Income was more evenly distributed, but there was also less of it. The entire nation has problems with income equality, and I believe the problems should be addressed. But telling big business to go somewhere else doesn't solve the problem.

Old 07-20-2023, 11:26 AM

857 posts, read 423,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codygreen View Post
Apple coming to the Triangle will (and already has) greatly accelerated the pace of gentrification and income inequality in our area.
You've got a problem with 3000 jobs being created in North Carolina? At an average wage of $180,000 per year? Because of "income inequality" and "gentrification". Socioeconomic stratification is simply inherent in a capitalist society, do you have an alternative in mind?

Last edited by TunedIn; 07-20-2023 at 11:36 AM..

Old 07-20-2023, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Actually, on an apples-apples basis I'd say that Apple's arrival is not a strong direct factor in gentrification simply because of where Apple will be located. There aren't many lower income neighborhoods near RTP (e.g. north Raleigh, Cary, CH, Morrisville, Apex, Holly Springs, F-V, Hope Valley, etc) where many Apple newcomers are likely to settle simply because of the traffic situation. If Apple were locating in downtown Raleigh or downtown Durham, your argument would be stronger. Sure, in an indirect sense Apple's arrival contributes to gentrification but so does any form of economic growth. As for income inequality, I'm not sure what you would rather have. It wasn't that long ago, before RTP, when tobacco farming was the number one income producer in this part of NC. Income was more evenly distributed, but there was also less of it. The entire nation has problems with income equality, and I believe the problems should be addressed. But telling big business to go somewhere else doesn't solve the problem.
I'm far closer to the bottom of the economic ladder than the top and it isn't a function of government at any level to send an elevator down for me.

Old 07-20-2023, 07:13 PM

9,150 posts, read 14,788,124 times
I drove by. Someone near the blue circle, there is some excavation that seems to be to connect onto the reclaimed water lines (you can see the pink pipes). I can say that is definitely not related to Apple but doesn't seem like the first thing they would do.

On the other hand, on the latest google imagery, you can see a flat bed that had a soil boring truck on it as well as some cut survey lines in the tree canopy.
Attached Thumbnails
Apple about to get started?-img_9854.jpeg   Apple about to get started?-img_8508.jpeg  

Old 07-20-2023, 08:25 PM

70 posts, read 52,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
You've got a problem with 3000 jobs being created in North Carolina? At an average wage of $180,000 per year? Because of "income inequality" and "gentrification". Socioeconomic stratification is simply inherent in a capitalist society, do you have an alternative in mind?
Why yes, limits on CFO and top earners deferred compensation plans so they can pay their share. Majority of the folks who benefit from this garbage deal are those who relocate from Cali and the C-Suite. In case you have not noticed capitalism is an ideology that benefits few…creates unfair monopolies, division, etc., why do you think most Europeans take 3 weeks vacation at a time and here you take a day and drop dead by 65.

Top 1% own this country sold it to foreign interests and control the media so when you speak of capitalism know what you stand for and what damage that did and continues to do in this great USA….yes the alternative is a country who values law and order as well as worker rights not shareholder value an extreme religious views.

Old 07-20-2023, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northport70 View Post
Why yes, limits on CFO and top earners deferred compensation plans so they can pay their share. Majority of the folks who benefit from this garbage deal are those who relocate from Cali and the C-Suite. In case you have not noticed capitalism is an ideology that benefits few…creates unfair monopolies, division, etc., why do you think most Europeans take 3 weeks vacation at a time and here you take a day and drop dead by 65.

Top 1% own this country sold it to foreign interests and control the media so when you speak of capitalism know what you stand for and what damage that did and continues to do in this great USA….yes the alternative is a country who values law and order as well as worker rights not shareholder value an extreme religious views.
Did you present an alternative somewhere in this post? It's difficult to make sense of it. I'm 40 years emergency services and I don't know of one. I've worked my share of 40, 50 and 60 hour weeks. Not a problem, just suck it up. Nights, weekends, holidays? Goes with the territory. Work hard and stay humble. Got a daughter just out of nursing school. Works 12 hour overnights on a busy med-surg floor. Good money if you're not afraid of hard work. And she ain't. Life was never meant to be easy or fair, this I knew by 16. Europe? Dropping dead? I've got 4 weeks of vacation and I'm still killing triathlons at 65. Life on this Earth is what you make of it, my friend. Apple, a garbage deal? Extreme religious views? Law and order? Controlling the media? OK, I give up. What's your real agenda? And have you considered a new job?

Last edited by TunedIn; 07-20-2023 at 09:55 PM..

Old 07-20-2023, 10:12 PM

380 posts, read 209,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
Did you present an alternative somewhere in this post? It's difficult to make sense of it. I'm 40 years emergency services and I don't know of one. I've worked my share of 40, 50 and 60 hour weeks. Not a problem, just suck it up. Nights, weekends, holidays? Goes with the territory. Work hard and stay humble. Got a daughter just out of nursing school. Works 12 hour overnights on a busy med-surg floor. Good money if you're not afraid of hard work. And she ain't. Life was never meant to be easy or fair, this I knew by 16. Europe? Dropping dead? I've got 4 weeks of vacation and I'm still killing triathlons at 65. Life on this Earth is what you make of it, my friend. Apple, a garbage deal? Extreme religious views? Law and order? Controlling the media? OK, I give up. What's your real agenda? And have you considered a new job?
Bingo

Old 07-21-2023, 10:42 AM

4,268 posts, read 4,726,271 times
Quote:
Majority of the folks who benefit from this garbage deal are those who relocate from Cali and the C-Suite.
Hyperbole. But even if you restated your point more carefully, I suppose the same could have been said when IBM moved a few thousand down from NY state 1965-1985 and Nortel moved a few thousand down from Ontario 1970-1990. Those seemed to work out well, didn't they?
Quote:
why do you think most Europeans take 3 weeks vacation at a time and here you take a day and drop dead by 65.
Thanks but I'm still quite alive at 65+ after a 40-year career in capitalism. I don't know how much you have worked in Europe but I believe you'll find that the Germans, the Swiss, the Dutch, the Brits, and the Scandinavians are hard-working people. Southern Europe, less so but those national economies reflect the consequences.
Quote:
Top 1% own this country
True in 1776, by the way.
Quote:
sold it to foreign interests
People with money in other countries would rather invest it here than in their own countries because they get better returns and their investments are more safe. What's wrong with that?

Old 09-11-2023, 09:14 AM

643 posts, read 355,417 times
The hotel we talked about a while ago

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle...Pos=5#cxrecs_s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary