Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2023, 09:25 AM

347 posts, read 521,726 times

Advertisements

There's only one solution for reducing gun violence and that's stricter gun regulation. We're the only country in the world who hasn't figured this out. I'm not willing to risk my kids safety so gun fetishists can cosplay as cowboys or vigilantes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2023, 06:45 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,581,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKlunk View Post
There's only one solution for reducing gun violence and that's stricter gun regulation. We're the only country in the world who hasn't figured this out. I'm not willing to risk my kids safety so gun fetishists can cosplay as cowboys or vigilantes.

I think you are conflating "hasn't figured this out" with not agreeing with you. You might try to mischaracterized the folks that don't share your opinion with various names, but that argument isn't winning me over at the very least.

I will share my perspective, there are other people who are believe that having the right to bear arms is worth the trade offs, whatever they objectively are. As you stated there are plenty of places around the world you can enjoy your gun free wish, but this isn't one of them. Doesn't make it wrong or right just makes it different.

The word AI is just becoming a buzz word to get people interested. I think it's going to a handful of companies money of gov't grants and corporate hand outs. I would rather 6 million bux go towards just about anything else.

Old 02-15-2023, 07:19 PM

563 posts, read 955,198 times
Quote:
There's only one solution for reducing gun violence and that's stricter gun regulation. We're the only country in the world who hasn't figured this out.
You are 100% correct.

Old 02-15-2023, 07:52 PM

313 posts, read 179,657 times
Quote:
California has some of the strictest gun laws in the country. It must be the safest place in the country...

oh wait.

Old 02-15-2023, 08:48 PM

563 posts, read 955,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepImpact View Post
oh wait.
In 2021, California was ranked as the #1 state for gun safety by Giffords Law Center, and the state saw a 37% lower gun death rate than the national average. According to the CDC, California’s gun death rate was the 44th lowest in the nation, with 8.5 gun deaths per 100,000 people – compared to 13.7 deaths per 100,000 nationally, 28.6 in Mississippi, 20.7 in Oklahoma, and 14.2 in Texas. California’s gun death rate for children is also lower than other states, and is 58% lower than the national average.

https://www.gov.ca.gov/2022/06/02/fa...ing-solutions/

Old 02-16-2023, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
I will share my perspective, there are other people who are believe that having the right to bear arms is worth the trade offs, whatever they objectively are. As you stated there are plenty of places around the world you can enjoy your gun free wish, but this isn't one of them. Doesn't make it wrong or right just makes it different.
The problem with guns in American is that these gun toting gravy seals aren’t the ones paying for the externalities of their ownership. Why should 6 million dollars of tax money be spent on AI weapon detection when instead it could be used for books, classroom tech, or salaries to reduce class sizes?

Guns in America are too cheap and too easy to purchase. If gun fetishists want to keep larping, they need to pay for the true cost of their guns. The second amendment does not guarantee gun ownership without restriction. Full stop.

1. Require registration and liability insurance for every firearm
2. Levy a tax on all firearms and ammunition sold to pay for medical treatment of victims of gun violence
3. Fix the boyfriend loophole for domestic abusers
4. Require universal background checks and waiting periods
5. End the gun show loophole, i.e. private sale exemption
6. Repeal the PLCAA which shields gun manufacturers from civil liability

Gun owners need to stop asking the rest of society to pay for the externalities of gun ownership with their lives and tax dollars. Meal Team Six needs to pony up and take some personal responsibility for decisions.

Old 02-16-2023, 05:52 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
The problem with guns in American is that these gun toting gravy seals aren’t the ones paying for the externalities of their ownership. Why should 6 million dollars of tax money be spent on AI weapon detection when instead it could be used for books, classroom tech, or salaries to reduce class sizes?

Guns in America are too cheap and too easy to purchase. If gun fetishists want to keep larping, they need to pay for the true cost of their guns. The second amendment does not guarantee gun ownership without restriction. Full stop.

1. Require registration and liability insurance for every firearm
2. Levy a tax on all firearms and ammunition sold to pay for medical treatment of victims of gun violence
3. Fix the boyfriend loophole for domestic abusers
4. Require universal background checks and waiting periods
5. End the gun show loophole, i.e. private sale exemption
6. Repeal the PLCAA which shields gun manufacturers from civil liability

Gun owners need to stop asking the rest of society to pay for the externalities of gun ownership with their lives and tax dollars. Meal Team Six needs to pony up and take some personal responsibility for decisions.

Somebody is gonna call you "Woke," I expect, for being burdened with common sense.

Old 02-16-2023, 07:25 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,581,431 times
You name calling basically has caused me to stop caring what you think have a nice day lashing out at the world with your talking points.

Old 02-16-2023, 09:18 AM

1,326 posts, read 722,717 times
Republicans in our state legislature are in the process of trying to loosen our already permissive gun laws and the legislature underfunds our schools year after year, but schools are being put in the position of having to pay for security to keep guns out??? This is just getting too absurd.

Old 02-16-2023, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
You name calling basically has caused me to stop caring what you think have a nice day lashing out at the world with your talking points.

Did I call you names? You can choose to wear whatever hat you want.

It's clear to me that the NRA and the people they've brainwashed no longer respond to rational, fact based arguments. The only tools we have left are shaming and ridicule. If you're a person who insists on living in a society whose people, regardless of their mental health status, have access to weapons of war, then don't expect everyone to "see your side" and accept you as an equal participant in civil society. 2A'ers are extremists and should made to feel like pariahs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary