Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2023, 10:08 PM

245 posts, read 246,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fscottfitz View Post
Thanks to all. I do not have an attorney. I've never needed one before. I spoke with one, but I don't have any prices to compare him to yet. Does $175 sound like a reasonable attorney fee for this?

Last ticket I had I paid around $300 for everything to get 15+ reduced to improper equipment (non school zone). If this is $175 + court costs then it seems reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2023, 03:57 AM

9,156 posts, read 14,815,715 times
Quote:
Thanks to all. I do not have an attorney. I've never needed one before. I spoke with one, but I don't have any prices to compare him to yet. Does $175 sound like a reasonable attorney fee for this?
You'll get at least a dozen letters in the mail over the next few days from lawyers that specialize in traffic cases so you'll have plenty to compare with. I ended up going with https://www.iticket.law/partly because they make it easy to do online (though my case was more straightforward), but call a few and chat with them.

And considering there is zero ways to actually give feedback or get meaningful help on e-courts I assume they will of course roll it right out to Mecklenburg.

Old 03-21-2023, 06:28 AM

4,289 posts, read 4,743,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inner_outer_440 View Post
School zone tickets are heavily stacked against your favor in Wake County.
And it's been this way for decades.

Old 03-21-2023, 06:29 AM

11,242 posts, read 8,346,935 times
Quote:
Thank you. I should have mentioned I have a clean record. How do you print out your record? If I decide to hire an attorney, is that going to cost me the $441 plus attorney fees? Do you have a recommendation for an affordable attorney? I'm sure my mail box will be flooded with solicitations soon, but I'd rather have a legitimate referral.
I don't have a lawyer recommendation (last time I had to do this was over 20 years ago), but I would start by contacting your insurance company to get your driving record. Or maybe someone else knows.

Regarding the cost: Here's the thing. A good lawyer will probably cost a good bit more than $441. But getting the points for speeding in a school zone will cost you multiples of that for years to come in the form of increased insurance premiums.

It's a bad situation, I'm sorry for you in that regard, but if you eat the points, you'll be paying a lot more than a lawyer costs.

Just my advise, I don't have much more to offer you. Hope this helps.

Old 03-21-2023, 07:30 AM

5,356 posts, read 3,249,682 times
Quote:
Also, could I use e-courts for this? I was reading that this is being piloted in Wake County.
Personally, I wouldn't. My fear would be not saying something pertinent or saying the wrong thing in error that ends up costing me more in the long run.

Whatever amount your ticket is - expect to pay about that amount when all is said and done. The benefit is, a clean driving record which will save you in the long run. My teenager had a speeding ticket and going through the lawyer solicitations, they all seem to charge the same price. So it boils down to who is most responsive to your inquiries and/or recommendations from friends and family. We went with an attorney who was recommended. Wrote a check and the matter was done.

One thing I've learned, reading these threads over the years, is that you'll get a ton of free advice from this message board. Things like "you should have just done the speed limit". It's always welcome advice.

Old 03-21-2023, 08:50 AM

230 posts, read 256,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
One thing I've learned, reading these threads over the years, is that you'll get a ton of free advice from this message board. Things like "you should have just done the speed limit". It's always welcome advice.
I'm surprised everyone has actually been quite helpful! Today, my oldest son suggested I take Wakefield Plantation to Kelway to skip the school zone in front of the Wakefield schools to get to his camp at the Y.. I did, but I also noticed there isn't a school zone sign on Kelway as you approach the Wakefield schools. So it's okay to do 30ish there and cross through the school zone, but not on Wakefield Pines.

Old 03-21-2023, 01:19 PM

22,726 posts, read 36,937,776 times
Sounds like they did you a favor making it 14 over because more than that would be reckless driving.

Here's a tip - most school zones have flashing lights on the speed limit signs when the speed zone is in effect.

Old 03-21-2023, 06:19 PM

1,063 posts, read 924,286 times
in our past experience, judges are super-strict
regarding ANY school-related violation.
a lawyer will save you so much money.

Old 03-22-2023, 07:21 AM

230 posts, read 256,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post

Here's a tip - most school zones have flashing lights on the speed limit signs when the speed zone is in effect.
That's not a tip, and does not apply in this school zone in Raleigh which houses 3 schools on the same road. Great idea though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: