Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2023, 12:08 PM

230 posts, read 255,443 times

Advertisements

Hello, I got my first speeding ticket today in a school zone, going 39 in a 25. I actually went back to the area to double check the signs because I always adhere to school zone times, but could not see the times posted this morning. It ended up being from 6:45-9:45 and he got me at 8:45, so I am trying to figure out my best option.

I have been advised many things by multiple folks. People have told me to show up and use my prayer for judgement, show up and ask for a reduced speed of 34, don't show up but hire an attorney and said improper equipment, hire an attorney and ask for a reduced sentence... The ticket is for $441...this is a huge amount for us. What is my cheapest option while preventing my insurance from increasing? If it is dismissed using pjc, do you still pay court costs of $191 (what my paper says)?

Also, could I use e-courts for this? I was reading that this is being piloted in Wake County.

Last edited by fscottfitz; 03-20-2023 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: posted incorrectly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2023, 12:30 PM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
I know you said money is an issue, but if you can, get a lawyer. The system is sadly stacked against those who can't afford good legal advice. It's wrong, but it is what it is. People with Lawyers get better results. (Ugh!)

If you can't do that, then go in, show up with full respect (Dress respectfully, yes sir / no sir, etc.) and if you have an otherwise clean driving record, print it out.

I am pretty sure that if you get a PFJ, you still have to pay court costs, but others may know better....

Good luck.

Old 03-20-2023, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
but if you can, get a lawyer.

if you have an otherwise clean driving record, print it out.
Thank you. I should have mentioned I have a clean record. How do you print out your record? If I decide to hire an attorney, is that going to cost me the $441 plus attorney fees? Do you have a recommendation for an affordable attorney? I'm sure my mail box will be flooded with solicitations soon, but I'd rather have a legitimate referral.

Old 03-20-2023, 01:14 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
I'd say get a lawyer. Yes it will be an extra $100-150 but you have a much better chance of getting a better outcome that saves you , money over the next 3 years.

Also, as someone who recently got my first ticket in some time, e-courts is absolute trash. It has been just about 4 weeks since my lawyer settled the case and I still cannot pay my fine. I went to the public safety center last week (and e-courts says pay at the courthouse which is wrong) and they cannot do anything either until the feed comes over. My lawyer’s website said it was problematic and the clerk said it was terrible and they are right.

Old 03-20-2023, 01:33 PM

563 posts, read 955,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fscottfitz View Post
How do you print out your record?
At the bottom of this page under Forms, there is an official driver record request that you can mail in with payment. It also has an option for ordering it online.

https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/offices-se...g-records.aspx

Old 03-20-2023, 02:34 PM

Thank you, JackieRTP.

I just phoned one lawyer who was recommended online and he charges $175, said my only option is a prayer for judgement which would reduce it to court costs of $191 and I would most likely have to take a driving course $75 or volunteer work.

Old 03-20-2023, 03:37 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
e-courts is absolute trash
Seems to be the unanimous view. I wonder if they'll still implement it in Mecklenburg County in a few months, per the original plan, or if they will defer Mecklenburg until they've straightened out the bugs.

Old 03-20-2023, 05:20 PM

233 posts, read 236,386 times
You NEED a lawyer for this. School zone tickets are heavily stacked against your favor in Wake County. The “fast track” reduction to improper equipment that applies to speeding tickets does not apply to school or work zones. Same for the “freebie” 9 over reduction that you can get once every 3 years without counting against your insurance… that doesn’t apply to school zones either.

Chances are you will have to do community service and/or driving school. Your lawyer will advise you on your options there. Don’t cheap out on this or you can expect you insurance to rise 30-45% per month for the next THREE YEARS.

Good luck with everything.

Old 03-20-2023, 06:40 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
Do whatever you need to do so this does not show up on your driving records, I think it would be 3 years and your insurance will go up way more than the costs you are facing now. I think Driving school is for minor infractions such as seat belt, expired tags, etc. If you have an attorney, should be representing you in court. Best of luck.

Old 03-20-2023, 08:57 PM

Thanks to all. I do not have an attorney. I've never needed one before. I spoke with one, but I don't have any prices to compare him to yet. Does $175 sound like a reasonable attorney fee for this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: