Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2008, 12:00 PM

277 posts, read 797,843 times

Advertisements

We are currently renting a house in Cary and are looking to buy something
with a bit of land (2+ acres). We also aren't big fans of the year round schools, so just outside of Wake Co. would be great. (Hubby works in Cary/Raleigh area)

We're in the 175k and below price range.

Any thoughts?

I appreciate your help everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 12:23 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC gal (aka Oregon gal) View Post
We are currently renting a house in Cary and are looking to buy something
with a bit of land (2+ acres). We also aren't big fans of the year round schools, so just outside of Wake Co. would be great. (Hubby works in Cary/Raleigh area)

We're in the 175k and below price range.

Any thoughts?

I appreciate your help everyone!
I'm sure you could find that much land at that price in parts of Durham and Johnston County, but it might put you out there and create a bit of a drive to work.

I did a quick online search and found a cool 1930's bungalow in Durham (on Stallings Road North of 98) with 2.66 acres , but it might be a hike to work from there. I also have no clue about the schools that serve that area.

Good Luck!

Old 05-30-2008, 12:27 PM

353 posts, read 996,232 times
Hi NC gal/Orgeon gal

When hubby and I first considered leaving Wake, we did a lot of research on the surounding areas. Hubby worked in Cary, also, so my "commute" calculations should work for you, too, given what you posted above.

1) Chatham: Didn't see anything too positive about the schools, and our research concluded that the only place worth trying to buy was Pittsboro -- but that it was pretty rare to find anything in that area (and we were looking to spend 200-225K)

2) Harnett: We checked out the part of Fuquay that is on the Harnett County side. It is growing nicely, one of hubby's former co-workers lived out there, and loved it. Commute was about 40min to Maynard/Kildaire Farm. The schools in the area seemed OK, too, though the ones closest to growth areas were crowded.

3) Johnston: This would have been the one we chose. Johnston county schools are good, and if you are willing to add just 10 minutes to your commute (~45 - 50 min) it's worth the trade of not having to deal with WCPSS. Hubby was willing to make the commute.

The only reason we left was that Hubby decided to open the options up, and found a MUCH better opportunity in the Charlotte area. We found a nice area in a neighboring county, with good schools, and decided it was worth the move, all around. But if he HAD stayed at the job in Cary, we'd most certainly be in Johnston county by now.

Good Luck!

Old 05-31-2008, 08:14 AM

Default Thanks UNC....

We're actually starting our search in northern Johnston County, so I appreciate your advice.
I haven't checked out how the schools compare but that's next on the list.

Take Care !

Old 05-31-2008, 09:06 AM

Default Thanks N.Raleigh Guy

I will check out the bungalow.
I appreciate your advice.
We're starting to look in Johnston Co. this week-end.

Take Care!

Old 05-31-2008, 09:21 AM

850 posts, read 3,626,235 times
We live in Johnston County. Clayton with a Wendell address for the time being. Our area is Archer Lodge and the area will most likely end up incorporating under that name. Its East Clayton basically (east of 70), amazing schools (we couldn't be more impressed), great family area with lots of volunteer stuff; community center, playground, local sports for boys and girls (all practices and games are right here). My dh commutes to the RTP and it takes him door to door 55 minutes but that also includes parking and taking a shuttle to his building. But we're just 20 minutes from some parts of Raleigh. We drive 30-35 minutes to the Costco in Raleigh.

When we were looking, after we also decided outside Wake....we looked down here, up in the Hillsborough area (which we loved but we would have wanted to build there and we were up against time restraints) and the Creedmoor area (which we didn't care for). Just sharing in case you haven't checked these areas out as well. I believe all our outside Wake.

Lauren

Old 05-31-2008, 11:53 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
How about Franklin County or Granville County? Wake Forest, Youngsville, Leesville, or Louisburg. Have you reserched those areas? Don't know what the commute time would be, but your other requests would be doable. Maybe someone out there can tell you how long it would take to get to work. Maybe your husband could take the back roads to work to avoid the traffic on Capitol.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:03 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC gal (aka Oregon gal) View Post
I will check out the bungalow.
I appreciate your advice.
We're starting to look in Johnston Co. this week-end.

Take Care!

Yeah, based on your criteria, I might focus on Johnston County.

Good Luck. Let us know how it turns out!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary