Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2023, 09:10 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times

Advertisements

I don't know whether RT's small town strategy will work, but at least it's a strategy. Other chains in the casual dining segment like Applebee's and Chili's are struggling and I can't see that they know what to do except die slowly. Chili's still has a lot of locations in the Triangle. Applebee's, less so. The Applebee's in my neighborhood was converted to an IHOP (which owns Applebee's). I don't think that has been very successful because of strong competition from local breakfast and lunch places like Brigs and First Watch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2023, 10:28 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,127,290 times
No one read that letter. Post on Twitter/X. That will get you that attention your after.

Old 08-08-2023, 02:08 PM

12,831 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
I don't know whether RT's small town strategy will work, but at least it's a strategy. Other chains in the casual dining segment like Applebee's and Chili's are struggling and I can't see that they know what to do except die slowly. Chili's still has a lot of locations in the Triangle. Applebee's, less so. The Applebee's in my neighborhood was converted to an IHOP (which owns Applebee's). I don't think that has been very successful because of strong competition from local breakfast and lunch places like Brigs and First Watch.
I doubt their strategy will work because they haven't fixed the main problem -- poor quality, overpriced food that doesn't fit any market demographic. Same applies to all of them in that category of restaurant. We have both an Applebee's and Ruby Tuesday across from each other and both have gone significantly downhill in quality and menu selection.

Who are they marketing too? We look at their menu's and none of us want anything on there. What's their theme or cuisine or demographic?
They all serve some type of steak, but they aren't a steakhouse.
They all have something with shrimp, salmon, or tilapia, but aren't a seafood restaurant.
They will have at least one pasta item (chicken parm or chicken Alfredo) but they aren't an Italian restaurant.
They will have some sort of southwestern and/or oriental type item but are neither a Mexican nor a Chinese restaurant.
They will some sort of hamburger, cheeseburger, bacon burger, chicken sandwich, and club sandwich, but they aren't a burger restaurant.
They will have a bar that doesn't draw the same as the food.

If they don't know what market they're in, and just serve crappy food, they will continue to go broke.

Old 08-08-2023, 02:58 PM

360 posts, read 223,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I doubt their strategy will work because they haven't fixed the main problem -- poor quality, overpriced food that doesn't fit any market demographic. Same applies to all of them in that category of restaurant. We have both an Applebee's and Ruby Tuesday across from each other and both have gone significantly downhill in quality and menu selection.

Who are they marketing too? We look at their menu's and none of us want anything on there. What's their theme or cuisine or demographic?
They all have something with shrimp, salmon, or tilapia, but aren't a seafood restaurant.
They will have at least one pasta item (chicken parm or chicken Alfredo) but they aren't an Italian restaurant.
They will have some sort of southwestern and/or oriental type item but are neither a Mexican nor a Chinese restaurant.
They will some sort of hamburger, cheeseburger, bacon burger, chicken sandwich, and club sandwich, but they aren't a burger restaurant.

If they don't know what market they're in, and just serve crappy food, they will continue to go broke.
Somehow that strategy works for Cheesecake Factory.

Old 08-08-2023, 05:40 PM

13,703 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
First Watch is about as local as McDonald's is.
In any case, I'd say they compete with Ihop about as much as Panera does.
I'm not in the restaurant business, but the Ihop near me seems pretty busy. If I had to guess...it does well with the after-church crowd, the families with kids crowd, possibly kids hanging out after the football game crowd...

Quote:
I doubt their strategy will work because they haven't fixed the main problem -- poor quality, overpriced food that doesn't fit any market demographic.
Same applies to all of them in that category of restaurant. We have both an Applebee's and Ruby Tuesday across from each other and both have gone significantly downhill in quality and menu selection.
I can't tell if Applebees has gone downhill over the years or my appetite has changed. It's been years since I was in one and it was severely underwhelming.
Quote:

There's nothing wrong with the menu, the problem is the food. The menu/food mix is very common and I could name two or three places I eat at regularly that have similar-ish menus. The difference is that they have good food and a better bar.

Old 08-09-2023, 05:53 AM

5,316 posts, read 3,204,475 times
Quote:

In reality, though, doesn't that describe every chain restaurant?

Old 08-09-2023, 12:52 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:

Ruby Tuesday is the only one with a salad bar which is a draw/advantage given how few such operations still exist.

Old 08-09-2023, 06:24 PM

281 posts, read 187,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Ruby Tuesday is the only one with a salad bar which is a draw/advantage given how few such operations still exist.
And those **deep fried pumpernickel croutons** were the bomb

Old 08-10-2023, 07:39 AM

5,158 posts, read 7,346,591 times
Ruby Tuesday used to be a nice restaurant with quality food, nice variety, and very good salad bar. Sorry to see it decline. Back in its heyday it originated inside shopping mall locations, expanded to suburban sites, and was owned by Morrison Cafeteria. Now owned by private investment, it has struggled in recent years and many primary locations have closed. Its competitors Friday's, Applebee's and Chili's seem to be doing a bit better.

Also sorry to see Shoney's decline. They were best back in the day as Shoney's Big Boy. Miss the Big Boy burger, breakfast bar, and hot fudge cake. I still enjoy Frisch's Big Boy when I visit Kentucky and Ohio, but some are starting to disappear as well. Hope they will hang in there.

Old 08-11-2023, 12:00 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,127,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Ruby Tuesday used to be a nice restaurant with quality food, nice variety, and very good salad bar. Sorry to see it decline. Back in its heyday it originated inside shopping mall locations, expanded to suburban sites, and was owned by Morrison Cafeteria. Now owned by private investment, it has struggled in recent years and many primary locations have closed. Its competitors Friday's, Applebee's and Chili's seem to be doing a bit better.

Also sorry to see Shoney's decline. They were best back in the day as Shoney's Big Boy. Miss the Big Boy burger, breakfast bar, and hot fudge cake. I still enjoy Frisch's Big Boy when I visit Kentucky and Ohio, but some are starting to disappear as well. Hope they will hang in there.
Young people are not interested in these types of chains. They consider them dated. Apple Bees, Ruby Tuesday, Shoney, Friday's, Buffalo Wild Wings, Chili's, etc.

There are many reasons but these are what I hear from the youth around me:
- They like fast-casual chains like Chipotle, Panera Bread, and Shake Shack.
- They prefer independent restaurants. Small and local. They don't like "over retailed".
- Grocery stores now offer ready-made meals even.
- They see the larger chains as being an unhealthier choice.
- They prefer craft beer and eclectic, locally grown food. Large chains typically don't offer that.

It doesn't matter what those casual dining chains do going forward. Their reputation is locked in. They can change to all of those bullet points but the stigma for the youth will remain. Olive Garden is about the only large chain that seems to be able to avoid the above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary