Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2023, 02:10 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
Young people are not interested in these types of chains. They consider them dated. Apple Bees, Ruby Tuesday, Shoney, Friday's, Buffalo Wild Wings, Chili's, etc.

There are many reasons but these are what I hear from the youth around me:
- They like fast-casual chains like Chipotle, Panera Bread, and Shake Shack.
- They prefer independent restaurants. Small and local. They don't like "over retailed".
- Grocery stores now offer ready-made meals even.
- They see the larger chains as being an unhealthier choice.
- They prefer craft beer and eclectic, locally grown food. Large chains typically don't offer that.

It doesn't matter what those casual dining chains do going forward. Their reputation is locked in. They can change to all of those bullet points but the stigma for the youth will remain. Olive Garden is about the only large chain that seems to be able to avoid the above.
I generally agree with this - I personally don't mind the kind of food that is offered at these restaurants (not a health food snob), but if so I don't need a "dine-in" experience and just want a quick fast-casual experience. If I'm going to have to sit at a table and deal with a waiter and tip, I'd rather save up for something that's actually worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2023, 09:03 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times
Quote:
Young people are not interested in these types of chains. They consider them dated. Apple Bees, Ruby Tuesday, Shoney, Friday's, Buffalo Wild Wings, Chili's, etc.

- They prefer independent restaurants. Small and local. They don't like "over retailed".
- They prefer craft beer and eclectic, locally grown food. Large chains typically don't offer that.

It doesn't matter what those casual dining chains do going forward. Their reputation is locked in. They can change to all of those bullet points but the stigma for the youth will remain. Olive Garden is about the only large chain that seems to be able to avoid the above.
Well said, pretty much agree.

I think Olive Garden survives based on the humor of it all. When you're there, you're family.

Old 08-12-2023, 05:16 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Also sorry to see Shoney's decline.
Most of them in Raleigh closed in the early-mid 1990s. In north Raleigh alone, there were Shoneys on Glenwood, Creedmoor, and Falls of Neuse.

Old 08-14-2023, 11:34 AM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:

Rebranding CAN be done, but its not easy.

Anyhow, the problem is the food. The last time I was in a Applebees it was as if I took a bunch of stuff from the frozen aisle at the Food Lion and tossed it in my oven/air fryer. None of it was very good.

Anyway, everyone has craft beer now.

Old 08-18-2023, 08:13 PM

4,159 posts, read 4,872,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Ruby Tuesday used to be a nice restaurant with quality food, nice variety, and very good salad bar. Sorry to see it decline. Back in its heyday it originated inside shopping mall locations, expanded to suburban sites, and was owned by Morrison Cafeteria. Now owned by private investment, it has struggled in recent years and many primary locations have closed. Its competitors Friday's, Applebee's and Chili's seem to be doing a bit better.

Also sorry to see Shoney's decline. They were best back in the day as Shoney's Big Boy. Miss the Big Boy burger, breakfast bar, and hot fudge cake. I still enjoy Frisch's Big Boy when I visit Kentucky and Ohio, but some are starting to disappear as well. Hope they will hang in there.

I ate at Frisch's Big Boy last week when I was in Ohio. The food was okay but not as good as it used to be. Ruby Tuesday used to be one of my favorite spots to eat until they changed the menu and dropped my favorite meal off the menu so I stopped going there. Haven't been to a Chili's or Applebee's in years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary