Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2023, 07:29 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times

Advertisements

perhaps time Limits should begin when you are served, not when you arrive or when you are seated. Otherwise, you might wait f o r e v e r for your food, then told you have to leave a few minutes later.

I could definitely see time limits enforced at high turnover restaurants with limited seating, like fast food places at lunchtime. Or perhaps just have time limits for busy periods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2023, 07:40 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,000,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I know Asian service is different, and sometimes not well recieved by Americans. I could imagine the restaurant owner being concerned about people 'camping out'.
Or eating way more than a regular person. Reminds me of this classic comedy bit from a very overweight John Pinette. "SOB still here! You go now! You here four hour!"

https://youtu.be/51rHWly7sHA?si=E_yz-P2mnVY-HOp3&t=154

Old 08-31-2023, 03:40 AM

816 posts, read 443,347 times
Great restaurant near me in Wilson (I think) called The Beef Mastor Inn. You get seated at a very basic table, place only holds maybe 10-12 tables. You get one choice... Ribeye (you choose size and how much it's cooked), baked potato, and a large slice of bread. There is also a salad bar if you choose. No appetizers, no dessert. You get served, you eat, you pay, you leave.

This has been their business model for years. People tailgate while they wait to get in and it's packed every night. They have a small bar to serve patrons who are waiting. Great night out, so unique. They will let you know it's time to leave when you're done because there is no reason to linger and people are waiting outside.

So it works for them, and it has a following. As usual, it depends on how good the food is, but I agree lingering just hurts the restaurant because they loose revenue. Some people are just rude about it. Not at Beef Mastor Inn.

Old 08-31-2023, 06:41 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
I especially get the concept in smaller restaurants with limited seating, but as stated it's how they go about "enforcing" it. Allowing them to move your party to the bar or other space with the offer of a comped drink or dessert goes a long way and would guess few if any ruffled feathers.

Old 08-31-2023, 07:16 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Some restaurants are now implementing a time limit on how long you can occupy a table
This used to be accomplished well by using lower quality chairs (eg the bentwood cafe sort).
After the 30 minutes their light meal takes to almost be finished ... most customers are ready to move on.

Old 08-31-2023, 07:40 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,031,411 times
We are fast diners, we don't have drinks, sometimes have an appetizer then have a dinner.
Recently had a hard time getting a reservation between 6:30-7:00 probably because the restaurant is scheduling 1.5 hours per table. We are in and done under an hour.

But here's the thing--they make more money on the people that have drinks to start and a bottle of wine with dinner, that takes time.

Here in Charlotte NC I haven't seen "early bird" offers by restaurants for 5:30ish. That would get some people in earlier and free up tables for later arrivals.

Old 08-31-2023, 10:36 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,898,571 times
I've seen the 30 minute time limit signs at Jack-in-the-Box and McDonalds.

I can't imagine a minimum wage employee facing down a recalcitrant customer. Probably relies on people complying with, or close to, the limit.

They also have locked rest rooms that have to be opened with a key or code.

Old 08-31-2023, 11:05 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,875,097 times
Just because this is new to you doesn't mean it's new. I've seen restaurants like this for years and years.

In Europe (as an example) it's quite common - when you book your reservation online, you pick a slot - that's yours - when it's over, it's over. Get out. They tell you on the website, at the door, on the menu, and before taking your order. And then when your time is up.

This is common enough that some restaurants already have an "hourglass" type gizmo or other clock-thing so you know how it's going.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO EAT THERE. Don't. Just don't. But if the food is grand and the prices are right - SOMEONE will. and evidently - it works - cuz lots of places do it. Sorry it seems new to you.

Old 08-31-2023, 11:13 AM

5,882 posts, read 6,950,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
They also have locked rest rooms that have to be opened with a key or code.
The only locked restroom I have encountered at a McD's was in a sketchy section of Las Vegas.

Old 08-31-2023, 12:36 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,875,097 times
perhaps time Limits should begin when you are served

It doesn't work that way. usually it's 90 minutes or two hours. Very - very - few dining experiences take longer than two hours. AFTER two hours - even with slow service, you are mainly just taking up table space. Hardly anyone hits the limit. People DO - but mainly on purpose. If I have reservations for a place at 8 - I am usually gone by 10 - or wish I was. Sure, sometimes it goes a bit longer...but mostly, it doesn't.

The strategy here is NOT to chase away good diners - but to discourage the NON good diners from ordering coffee for 4 hours (free refills) when that table (at a busy place) could be generating revenue.

Also - this concept is in play at some upscale places - where the ONLY menu is the chef's tasting menu - and it WILL be served promptly, if the server wants to keep the job. A schedule. After about 60 minutes - all courses are done - you still have time for an after-dinner drink - but then, hit the road, because we can sell another $150 meal at your table, or give you free coffee instead. Nope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary