Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2023, 09:47 PM

4,159 posts, read 4,872,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
You still haven’t explained why we have such a difference in shootings compared to other countries. Probably because your argument is as valid as your idea that every kid in an elementary school has eyes on them at all times. I’ve been a parent volunteer and an IA (they haven’t been called TAs in 10 years) and your knowledge is lacking. For starters second grades don’t have full time IAs. Nice pipe dream though. Heck tbere are schools still lacking classroom TEACHERS.

All of the things you mentioned are systemic school system administration related issues and are irrelevant to gun control. I really don't care how we compare to other countries which aren't my concern.

Old 09-13-2023, 03:28 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
I sincerely understand the concept of "self defense" and the survival instinct. This weapon has its use in that context. Children have zero understanding of that concept. Death is NOT in their natural self centered mindset.

Could be wrong yet its my understanding that "gifting" of firearms is completely within the guides of family members. Grandpa wants Little Ned to have a rifle to go hunting. So he gifts it. Mind you some guidelines is the "adult" must stay within a certain parameter when a Young person is utilizing that weapontry.

Aren't childrens' brains still forming, where consequences are mostly foreign to them?

I'm a full blown adult and CANNOT handle a weapon of this magnitude. How a kid can is beyond my scope of reasoning. Death is permanent. Having a kid make that choice is unfathomable.

Old 09-13-2023, 08:32 AM

851 posts, read 416,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
You still haven’t explained why we have such a difference in shootings compared to other countries. Probably because your argument is as valid as your idea that every kid in an elementary school has eyes on them at all times. I’ve been a parent volunteer and an IA (they haven’t been called TAs in 10 years) and your knowledge is lacking. For starters second grades don’t have full time IAs. Nice pipe dream though. Heck tbere are schools still lacking classroom TEACHERS.
Mmmmm......cultural differences? Unless of course you're putting forth that Japanese businessmen in Tokyo are able to suppress their homicidal mania only though a paucity of available handguns. In Massachusetts, my own state of primary residence, several cities stand out with egregiously high levels of gun violence even by national standards, in a state with one of the overall lowest levels. And prospective relocators in this very forum are often told to lower their risk of exposure to gun violence in North Carolina cities by avoiding "certain areas". This is all strong evidence of a cultural component to gun violence with variations not only between countries or between U.S. states, but between our cities and even neighborhoods within these cities. When in any segment of any society, gun violence becomes normalized as a means of settling differences, it's virtually impossible to create enough scarcity of guns to ameliorate the expected manifestations.

Last edited by TunedIn; 09-13-2023 at 09:09 AM..

Old 09-13-2023, 10:09 AM

360 posts, read 223,159 times
Ah another gun control argument that's going to convince no one on either side.

Where I grew up, guns were brought to school, but you had to leave them in your vehicle. Our high school principal was the leader of the shooters club. No one thought anything of it.

Schools are already "gun free zones". See how effective they are? How effective are prohibitions on possession of a firearm by a felon? Not very if you follow the news.

To eliminate the flow of illegal guns into our country (not to mention ghost guns made right here) would require a level of border security & law enforcement that gun control advocates don't support. Never mind the fact that it is a Constitutional right.

You have options:

Take your kids out of Public Schools and stop using them as a baby sitter.
Arm yourself
Take self-defense and learn situational awareness
Stay at home and have everything delivered

OR

Feign helplessness and beg the government to intervene.

Old 09-13-2023, 03:36 PM

180 posts, read 95,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
Mmmmm......cultural differences?
Canada? https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/05/22...pons-ban-ar15/

Australia? https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/wp-cont...pring_2011.pdf

New Zealand? https://www.ibanet.org/article/3e470...c-f59474f4a894

Old 09-13-2023, 03:48 PM

851 posts, read 416,141 times
Baltimore?......Chicago?......St. Louis?.......New Orleans?

Old 09-13-2023, 04:53 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieRTP View Post
Guns are the problem and they are the leading cause of death of children between 1-17 years in the US. No other developed country has the same issue due to stronger gun laws.

https://www.kff.org/mental-health/is...eer-countries/
The situation will only get worse. Until congress members' children get shot. You might get a modicum of action then.

Old 09-13-2023, 06:38 PM

4,159 posts, read 4,872,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
The situation will only get worse. Until congress members' children get shot. You might get a modicum of action then.
So you believe they have a magic wand that can stop it..?? Guess what....they don't.

Old 09-13-2023, 06:48 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
The vast majority of guns used in crimes are not obtained legally. Most are purchased from unlicensed dealers or stolen. Here’s a study done in Detroit that shows this:

https://detroitmi.gov/sites/detroitm...NS%20STUDY.pdf

Regulation is not the answer. It’s easy to place the blame on laws and politics but neither are the answer.

Old 09-13-2023, 07:16 PM

563 posts, read 955,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Here’s a study done in Detroit
The study only applies to Detroit and Michigan. Research and data has shown over and over that stronger gun laws work. We only need to look at other developed countries for ample evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: