Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2024, 07:00 AM

312 posts, read 300,006 times

Advertisements

I see a lot of anger at drugs and yet them Sacklers are still walking around free with pockets more full than I can spend in 10 lifetimes.

Main Street will continue to erode until we decouple certain social infrastructure from Wall St. Houselessness is a symptom of capitalism and those neo liberal market forces of a laissez faire economy being applied to your existence. This is the united snakes of exploitation. Winners take all I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2024, 09:52 AM

11,226 posts, read 8,315,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Your comments sound Hitler-ish or Stalinesque. What's the 'right' choice? They're probably already making it.

Our modern society sucks. A vacuous society of greed and duplicity. I think we're just seeing the beginning of what's to come.
They will never answer that question. They'll only tell you that "your policies" are wrong, and when you ask them to ID which policies and why they are wrong, they'll do as they did above in this discussion and deflect and come up with some hypothetical examples, or policies that were not enacted by "your people" but still blame you.

Homelessness is a messy but real problem and unfortunately solutions are not as simple as rehashing some DJT or MGT meme and blaming the victim.

The FACT is that there are litterally MILLIONS of homeless people in the USA, and other than exterminating them, there is no 'simple' way to fix the problem. We can arrest them for setting up camp, but then we pay the prison bill. We can send them somewhere else, but then we need to be prepared to accept "somewhere else's evictions". We can blame them, but it doesn't solve the problem.

I'm not sure if it's Hitler-ish, Stalinesque, or just MAGA-simplicity, but the problems they ID are real and valid, but the idea that you can just wish it away, or arrest everyone who has less fortune than "you" is simply not realistic.

Quote:
Of course it is. If you just let them camp, you maintain the status quo. You have to take that away as an option. They'll make the right choice after exhausting every other option.
There has to be a balance of compassion, hard truth, investment, and more. You can't just blame people and think they'll go away. It is beyond naive.

Old 04-29-2024, 10:26 AM

342 posts, read 298,852 times
Stick them on a bus and drop them off in DC

Old 04-29-2024, 01:26 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,292,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
There are a bunch of camps @ Umstead Park, you can see them from 40. I would be careful hiking the trails in there in case you get ambushed.
I’m confident we’d already have heard of these roving bands of homeless attackers if this was a likely scenario.

Old 04-29-2024, 01:27 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,292,246 times
Some of you have never known anyone who was homeless by no fault of their own and it shows.

Old 04-29-2024, 03:17 PM

8 posts, read 3,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I’m confident we’d already have heard of these roving bands of homeless attackers if this was a likely scenario.
Hmm, I remember mods quickly removing any threads about crime in the area a while back, so this may likely have happened in this instance…

Old 04-29-2024, 03:19 PM

43,342 posts, read 77,198,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris15440 View Post
Hmm, I remember mods quickly removing any threads about crime in the area a while back, so this may likely have happened in this instance…
LOLOLOL
And...

Pics or it didn't happen.

Old 04-29-2024, 03:26 PM

19,734 posts, read 20,281,285 times
Quote:

Well I'm not going in there to find out.

Old 04-29-2024, 03:35 PM

43,342 posts, read 77,198,405 times
Quote:
Some of you have never known anyone who was homeless by no fault of their own and it shows.
Knowledge is not a prerequisite for ignorance or hate.

Old 04-29-2024, 03:50 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,060,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
The problems isn't so much that they don't have anywhere to go, rather they don't want to go there. Removing the camps gives them a reason to find the help they need. When they clear these camps, they refer their inhabitants for services. It's unfair to allow some people to camp in public and not others, so it's important these camps be cleared to consistently enforce the law. In recent years, some well meaning people got the idea that it was progressive to turn a blind eye to these people and allow them to destroy themselves, even enable it by encouraging their addictions with money and safe places to use (so called harm reduction). We've been seeing the disastrous results of these wrong-headed policies and many more have died or seen their addictions and mental health be further harmed as a result of it.

I see some want to try to connect these camps with high housing costs, but that's not accurate. The people living in these camps have mental health and drug addiction issues that prevent them from availing themselves to public housing and homelessness programs. They choose to live outdoors rather than submit to the rules and structure of the voluntary programs that exist to help them. We've got to break ourselves of this libertarian heartlessness masquerading as progressive compassion.

If the results don't produce progress, the policies aren't progressive.
What services are they being referred to? Is there capacity within those services to serve those who are being educated of those services? How do those services help the homeless? Can they get the help needed right away? Are there any shortcomings to current services that you believe need to be expanded?

Referring to services that don't exist, don't have the capacity to help, or provide little/no benefit doesn't help anyone and is an empty gesture at best. It appears you're already acknowledging one gap in services (mental health and drug addiction) but don't convey any answers for 1) How to solve it and 2) What folks are supposed to do in the meantime.

If there are services with excess capacity to help more people, then more outreach needs to take place to get the folks who need them in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary