Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2024, 06:04 PM

3,664 posts, read 3,949,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
What services are they being referred to? Is there capacity within those services to serve those who are being educated of those services? How do those services help the homeless? Can they get the help needed right away? Are there any shortcomings to current services that you believe need to be expanded?

Referring to services that don't exist, don't have the capacity to help, or provide little/no benefit doesn't help anyone and is an empty gesture at best. It appears you're already acknowledging one gap in services (mental health and drug addiction) but don't convey any answers for 1) How to solve it and 2) What folks are supposed to do in the meantime.

If there are services with excess capacity to help more people, then more outreach needs to take place to get the folks who need them in.
1) Surely, if you became homeless today, you could walk to a city's social services offices and be given information for immediate intake into a shelter system. If it was full, I'm sure a list of churches and outreach programs would be listed also. I did live in NYC homeless shelters two different times for about a month both times. It was quite awful, but I'm grateful for it.

2) Personally, I wouldn't care about them living in the woods if they didn't freakin' leave trash everywhere along with shopping carts, etc. They seem to want to exist surrounded by trash strewn all around them.

3) Last Thanksgiving weekend I spent hours picking up the trash at the Wake Forest Rd./I-440 interchange in Raleigh. Of course there were people out with signs asking for money. One young, able-bodied man thanked me for picking up trash all around him.

4) I don't know how NCDOT's litter sweep went that just wrapped up last weekend, but hopefully you are enjoying a difference for a short while.

5) They should interview some of these homeless folks and learn more about what they want, need, etc.

6) With the migrant surge that's ruining cities like NY, I've never seen a single one of them interviewed by local news reporters that would help all of us understand why they came, what they expect, or what they have to offer as far as work, what they think about overloading this country's safety net systems, and are they willing to contribute back to repay some of the costs they've imposed.

7) We could address the roots of the problems better if someone would just ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2024, 06:36 PM

334 posts, read 191,660 times
Those who feel sorry about the homeless should help them

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mother-...p-family-says/

Old 04-29-2024, 10:27 PM

380 posts, read 209,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
1) Surely, if you became homeless today, you could walk to a city's social services offices and be given information for immediate intake into a shelter system. If it was full, I'm sure a list of churches and outreach programs would be listed also. I did live in NYC homeless shelters two different times for about a month both times. It was quite awful, but I'm grateful for it.

2) Personally, I wouldn't care about them living in the woods if they didn't freakin' leave trash everywhere along with shopping carts, etc. They seem to want to exist surrounded by trash strewn all around them.

3) Last Thanksgiving weekend I spent hours picking up the trash at the Wake Forest Rd./I-440 interchange in Raleigh. Of course there were people out with signs asking for money. One young, able-bodied man thanked me for picking up trash all around him.

4) I don't know how NCDOT's litter sweep went that just wrapped up last weekend, but hopefully you are enjoying a difference for a short while.

5) They should interview some of these homeless folks and learn more about what they want, need, etc.

6) With the migrant surge that's ruining cities like NY, I've never seen a single one of them interviewed by local news reporters that would help all of us understand why they came, what they expect, or what they have to offer as far as work, what they think about overloading this country's safety net systems, and are they willing to contribute back to repay some of the costs they've imposed.

7) We could address the roots of the problems better if someone would just ask.
Mental Illness.

Old 04-30-2024, 05:36 AM

10 posts, read 4,517 times
It appears a few in this thread just got off the boat from California…

There, they ask homeowners to take in the “residentially challenged” as they call them, into their own home and give them free room and board. Perhaps some of you should follow this advice and put your money where your mouth is. What could possibly go wrong?

Any takers? Bueller? Bueller? Anyone? Anyone??

Old 04-30-2024, 08:23 AM

6,657 posts, read 5,605,036 times
And people ask why nobody goes on City Data anymore.......

Old 04-30-2024, 08:41 AM

8,316 posts, read 3,944,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codygreen View Post
No we shouldn't. It has been repeatedly demonstrated that giving out freebies only increases vagrancy. The folks living in these encampments have made the deliberate choice not to go to a homeless shelter. Their actions show me that, without an outside intervention, they will not change. If we incarcerate them at least we've broken the cycle of addiction. They may still fall back into their old habits but its the best shot we have. Drug addicted people and those with untreated mental illness are not in control of their actions. We shouldn't be enabling their drug addiction.
That all sounds plausible until you actually look at the statistics. About a third of homeless people have substance abuse issues. Two thirds don't. So the majority of homeless people won't be helped by your plan if the intent is to "break the cycle of addiction".

Old 04-30-2024, 12:59 PM

370 posts, read 232,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
That all sounds plausible until you actually look at the statistics. About a third of homeless people have substance abuse issues. Two thirds don't. So the majority of homeless people won't be helped by your plan if the intent is to "break the cycle of addiction".
Please don't bring up "statistics" unless you're willing to divulge the source and debate their merits. Statistics are worthless without context. Both President Trump and Biden have used statistical half-truths to lie about the state of the economy, pandemic response, approval rating, etc. I am much more inclined to believe the words of the homeless people I have seen interviewed for various documentaries. They have no reason to lie.

Old 04-30-2024, 06:36 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,308,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris15440 View Post
Hmm, I remember mods quickly removing any threads about crime in the area a while back, so this may likely have happened in this instance…
No, it didn’t. There is no rash of criminal bands of roving Umstead homeless people.

Old 04-30-2024, 07:01 PM

10 posts, read 4,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
No, it didn’t. There is no rash of criminal bands of roving Umstead homeless people.
I happened to live directly across the road from Umstead park and my residence was broken into twice over a 6-month period. They were never caught, so I can’t say for sure who it was. But to say there is no rash of criminal activity bands at Umstead is a bit presumptuous…

Old 04-30-2024, 09:14 PM

567 posts, read 959,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris15440 View Post
my residence was broken into twice over a 6-month period. They were never caught, so I can’t say for sure who it was.
There are organized small groups of people breaking into some residences in every single city and town in the Triangle. Unfortunately, the homeless are easy targets to blame and demonize even when they are not involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary