Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2008, 08:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,826 times

Advertisements

Hi, has anyone here ever worked for IBM (Raleigh)? What are your thoughts? I recently applied for a position, do I need to know someone to get my foot in the door?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 09:22 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,356,657 times
I work for IBM (and have for 20 years), as do a few others on the board. I'm happy working here - I really wouldn't have stayed this long otherwise.

I have no advice on getting hired, other than to say it always helps when you have someone recommend you to the hiring manager.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:59 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,563,693 times
I moved to the Raleigh area 25+ years ago on an IBM move from the Kingston area of NY. Good Luck with getting the job.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:22 PM

551 posts, read 2,287,734 times
My husband does, as do three neighbors across the street. They've had a small layoff recently; it might be a particularly tough time to get in.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:48 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Didn't someone tell you that EVERYONE in Raleigh has either worked for IBM in the past or still does now. :-)
Just kidding, of course. But, it sure seemed that way in the early days of the rapid growth.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:33 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,034,535 times
my husband does as well, definitely experiencing some "downsizing" in his area. I think it depends on where you are trying to get in.......they definitely seem to look internally unless you are a new college grad and they can get your for cheaper than the seasoned veterans!

Leigh

Old 07-18-2008, 08:18 AM

502 posts, read 1,740,443 times
I have 25 years with IBM and just moved to Raleigh this year. I think it really depends on what position you are applying for. IBM has some job roles that they pay bounties to employees to find people for, and as others have said there are other job roles being downsized and layed off. It certainly wouldn't hurt if you knew someone that could make a recommendation, but I don't think that is required. I've done some recruiting work in the past and the main thing we looked at was how strong the candidate was... especially their work history or internships if they were coming out of college. By the way, if you noticed the IBM quarterly financial statement released after the market close yesterday, it was a very good report showing strength across the whole company and bucking the trend of many other companies in current times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary