Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 08:03 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,870 times

Advertisements

We are preparing to rent until we find a house. We need to register our kids in Wake county schools before we can apply for magnets. So...we're trying to figure out which area to rent in (and eventually buy) to be able to apply for a magnet we'd like to be in. I figure if we don't get in to either a magnet or a charter, we'll buy in an area that has good base schools (understanding the redistricting challenge, of course).

I've read and re-read so many school related posts, but I can't seem to find many that have people actually saying that they have kids in magnet schools and which schools/programs are wonderful. We like North Raleigh a lot, and saw that one neighborhood we liked had Millbrook Elementary for IB (my kids are in an IB program now and we love it). But I love the *idea* of the other programs, like the Talented/Gifted ones, or the active learning and technology.

Does anyone have any first hand (or second hand) knowledge? Are there magnets to avoid like the plague?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 08:09 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
I think what you need to do when looking at magnets is to choose a program over a school. If you are interested in G&T, then apply for the ones in your area that are G&T first. The other thing to remember is that not ALL magnets are open to all areas. Which magnets you are able to apply for depends on where you live. Also keep in mind that some of them do not provide transportation or provide minimal transportation and some can be pretty far away which creates other challenges like having your child's friends live an hour away. It can make socializing with school friends difficult.

I do not currently have a child in magnet, but all of my neighbors do and they all like it. I also went to Wake magnet schools growing up here, so I do have some knowledge abou tthem. I really don't think there are any to "avoid like the plague" that I've ever heard of. You just have to be aware of some of the challenges that exist with magnets and be able to sacrafice certain things in order to take advantage of the programs they offer. We know kids in Washington, Wiley, Conn, Farmington Woods, Hunter and Underwood and have only gotten very positive feedback on these schools. Good luck! Hope you get in somewhere!

Last edited by lamishra; 02-11-2008 at 08:27 AM..

Old 02-11-2008, 08:23 AM

906 posts, read 2,382,037 times
We were in an IB/Spanish language magnet for 4 years. My oldest was there for K-3 and my youngest for K-1. We loved it but we had to provide our own transportation. I spent almost 2 hours a day driving my kids to and from school which was our primary motivation for leaving for our base school this year.

I loved that my kids got Spanish everyday but it just wasn't worth it anymore for us. It was a very difficult decision but its been a good one. Besides the transportation issue, it was harder for my kids to get to know their classmates outside of school. Now they see kids from school at their martial arts and ice skating lessons. We regularly see school families when we're out to eat or shopping. We NEVER saw anybody from our magnet school when we were living our everyday lives outside of school. I like having those connections for both my kids and myself.

That was my experience with the magnet. Other people have very different experiences. Also, our magnet had a fairly large, non-F&R base population that was very involved with the school. They were all wonderful families, but I always felt like the magnet families were an afterthought when it came to scheduling activities and fundraisers. It was a neighborhood school for them, not one that they were driving a long distance to get to. Some magnets are the opposite--a very small F&R base and the rest are magnet families coming a long distance.

I have not heard very good things about Millbrook Elementary but I think some of that is due to the high F&R%. If you want an IB program, I would recommend Joyner Elementary. That's where we were and it was a wonderful school. Great staff and administration. Its an IB, but its also a Spanish language magnet. Anybody in the county can apply for Joyner for the Spanish language magnet. So while your IB option in North Raleigh might be Millbrook, you can still apply for Joyner.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:46 AM

578 posts, read 3,081,572 times
Having to provide transportation for the kids was the deal killer for us.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:56 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Avoid East Millbrook ITB Middle School because of the high-crime Mini-City location.

We lived a block away but he had to ride a bus to be safe from marauding gangbangers living in the Dominion on Spring Forest Apts.

School is alive with racism. Son is Caucasian and 6 feet tall. His Indian friend was similarly bothered.

He also attended Washington GT Magnet elementary downtown. It was wonderful.

Be aware that he graduated Millbrook HS in 2000, so these are older experiences.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:42 PM

245 posts, read 809,334 times
Default Research, and check current bus routes!!

My daughter (the first of four kids) started kindergarten this year. We have been renting in Cary, and though we've heard nice things about our local, way overcrowded, Davis Drive Elementary, we wanted to pursue an international magnet program both for curriculum and to ensure continuity of school when we move. This is HUGE, especially as the area I currently live in is always being reassigned.

We applied and got in, probably b/c DDES is so overcrowded. I was prepared to drive my daughter until we bought a house closer to the school (in Raleigh) and/or on a bus route. Then I found out that there's more than four bus stops within five miles of my house! I drive her to the one 2 miles away, and if we're running late, we hit the one 2.5 miles away. She loves taking the bus, it's 40 minutes but she has made some great friends.

Many magnets have express busing or other options. Carpooling may also be feasible. As a renter, you have the luxury of registering for local school, applying for magnets, and then moving elsewhere if you need to be closer to school or transportation. Good luck!!!

Old 08-26-2009, 08:53 AM

1 posts, read 3,973 times
I must say that I did a tranfer to Joyner 2yrs ago, when my son was in kindergarten the first year in Joyner was a little rocky. But thanks to Joyners Principals and staff they let me know that they really care about the students and want to see them do there best. I LOVE it. I have nothing bad to say about this school. The drive can be rough since I am coming from Knightdale but it is worth it. Now that I have two kids in Joyner I am wanting to move back to raleigh and lose my tranfer. Does anyone know of any apartments/townhomes for rent that take the section 8 voucher in the range of $700-900 dollars. Any leads would be great. Thanks

Old 08-26-2009, 05:40 PM

646 posts, read 2,050,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
We are preparing to rent until we find a house. We need to register our kids in Wake county schools before we can apply for magnets. So...we're trying to figure out which area to rent in (and eventually buy) to be able to apply for a magnet we'd like to be in. I figure if we don't get in to either a magnet or a charter, we'll buy in an area that has good base schools (understanding the redistricting challenge, of course).

I've read and re-read so many school related posts, but I can't seem to find many that have people actually saying that they have kids in magnet schools and which schools/programs are wonderful. We like North Raleigh a lot, and saw that one neighborhood we liked had Millbrook Elementary for IB (my kids are in an IB program now and we love it). But I love the *idea* of the other programs, like the Talented/Gifted ones, or the active learning and technology.

Does anyone have any first hand (or second hand) knowledge? Are there magnets to avoid like the plague?
I've posted about my child being in magnet schools numerous times. She started at Wake Forest Elementary (they are losing their magnet status though), then Ligon for middle and just started Enloe two days ago (Enloe has an IB program - but it's not 'the' IB magnet).

Milbrook high school is getting the IB program from Broughton (that is also losing it's magnet status...you will have to forgive Saturnfan...he's living in the past).

Also, it's possible to get transportation in many areas to most magnet schools...but not all. Look closely at the program to see what it has for transportation options.

As for getting in....it's sort of the luck of the draw really, unless you buy in the base area, but it helps to be close to a bus route as that is considered.

We love the whole atmosphere of the magnets we've gone to......they are worth the hoops to get into. I've not spoken to another parent that has their children there willingly that has a bad thing to say. (I do know one mother who has a son at Enloe as a base student...and she doesn't like it...but....well....the reasons she doesn't like it are the reasons we do (AP classes, foreign language choices, variety of students).

Old 08-26-2009, 09:47 PM

4,168 posts, read 4,879,858 times
My son attended year round school since kindergarten. He recently started taking classes at a magnet high school and he loves it. The magnet schools are geared towards certain programs or specialized areas of study which is how you know which magnet school would be best for your child to attend based on their skills and interests.

Yes, he does ride a bus one hour each way that only makes stops at designated express locations, but he rides his bicycle to and from the bus stop unless it's raining. This arrangement has worked out better than I imagined and my son has developed more self-reliance and independence. The parents who drive their kids to school do so by personal choice in most cases.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:38 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,548,381 times
We are doing magnet. We get transportation - I can't say we would be doing it if I had to drive!

We were at Brassfield Elementary and had marvelous teachers every year. I can't say enough positive things about our base school. They were terrific. The 'specials' were okay if a bit uninspired (same programs year in/year out).

I was lucky enough to get my two children into Hunter GT/AG basics magnet for their 4&5th grades - so I have been there for the past 4 years. I was lucky x2 and got them in at the 4th grade level b/c our base school was overcrowded/capped at the time. I was encouraged to move them by the teachers at Brassfield because of Hunter's AG program, and because it would align them for Ligon/Enloe track.

Hunter AG program *was* marvelous and the electives offered wonderful and inspiring. Child 1 had all 4 core classes differentiated AG. But child 2, had his science (and social studies) mixed with non-AG which made the curriculum not as challenging for him and lessened the experience. This is why I say *was*. Hunter was really excellent when all classes were with AG students - it made my child actually attend to the classwork. With child 2, he was able to glide right through science without really paying attention b/c it didn't go fast enough and it was not at a high enough level as math/english. Hunter's principal has just moved up and over (to carnage middle) so they have a new principal -- no idea how the new principal has affected/changed things up.

Child 1 is now at Ligon and has had a marvelous experience. She is in the 8th grade now. Again, AG was completely differentiated at the time she entered - so all 4 core classes were with other AG students, even though Math and English are the only true 'AG' subjects. She has LOVED the electives and has taken some awesome ones. She also played soccer and did track so loves the sports program. She has learned study skills, has been challenged, and feels comfortable with her level of intelligence because she was surrounded by kids who were as smart and smarter than she is.

We opted *not* to send child 2 to Ligon because the electives he wanted could be obtained anywhere (band, foreign language) and they have chosen to ONLY differentiate AG so non-AG classes are taken with non-AG students.

To me, they have gutted the AG program at Ligon; 6th and 7th grade former AG only teachers have retired or chosen other positions within WCPSS so the quality of teachers has changed from the reputation they have built up over the years. Your AG teachers now teach regular and AG -- which supposedly the teachers love, but these folks also really don't have an idea of how to teach AG kids. The idea is to raise the level of the work, not to pile on more work. Not sure they are getting that.

Also, they now have to follow the wcpss pacing guidelines and they traditionally have been able to set their own pacing guidelines. In addition, due to budget issues, their vaunted electives have decreased in # of class offerings not that you will get admin to admit it. For example, the french teacher is p/t not f/t - so 3 classes are offered for french elective not 6 like last year; the band teacher dropped an entire band class b/c a p/t teacher was not rehired and is heavily relying on parent coordination for the year, and so on. Note: also a new principal at ligon although I really really like her - things will get changed up just because of that.

I'll hop on my 'differentiate kids' band wagon, but I think it is a real challenge to get kids to use their brains when they learn it is not 'cool' to be smart and often get teased/criticized for knowing the answers. IMHO, if not differentiated, these kids don't even have to crack a book to get an A. In what way does it benefit any of the kids to homogenize classes with AG/non-AG?

So, although the magnets have a lot to offer, they do change their programs so you can't really go by 'reputation' or what others have heard - the program they currently offer might be quite different.

I would move to an area with base schools that would work for you -- now they have a 3 year plan so you can get some sense of shifting in the 3 years ahead. also, if you are moving into a developing area, then you are more likely to get shifted than if you move into an area with less building going on. Although, that is no guarantee!

Best of Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary