Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 08:23 PM

920 posts, read 2,812,577 times

Advertisements

I just moved in to an apartment in Raleigh today. It's a nice place in a newer building, which is why I was surprised to find several tiny brown bugs in the sink. I washed them down the drain, but more have appeared over the past few hours. There aren't many -- just one or two at a time. There were also a few under the sink.

A friend sprayed some Raid down the drain, but an hour later there's another bug in the sink. He's a NC native and doesn't know what these are. So now I'm stumped and frustrated.

This is the bathroom sink. I haven't seen any in the kitchen sink.

Would anyone know what these are? They're shaped like fleas but smaller than fleas and I haven't seen them jump (yet).

Otherwise, I like Raleigh a lot so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 08:28 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
if they are springtails or silverfish click here
//www.city-data.com/forum/charl...rain-bugs.html

or Tiny black winged ants in bathtub

Old 07-28-2008, 08:31 PM

546 posts, read 1,678,274 times
You might have Drain flies, which are fairly common.

Drain Flies [SIZE=2] may become abundant around bathroom or kitchen sinks. Their presence can become annoying enough to make control desirable. Insecticides provide some relief by killing adults. Infestations, however, can be eliminated only by removing the larval food source. The larvae usually breed in sink and bathroom drain traps, in spite of the hot water, soap and other debris that flow through them. Thorough cleaning of drain traps with Bac-A-Zap will remove hair and trapped debris. Also remove standing water in saucers or pans underneath hou[/SIZE][SIZE=2]se plant containers.

[/SIZE]Flies (http://www.almondpestcontrol.com/flies.htm - broken link)

Old 07-28-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I hope they're not springtails! I just now learned about those on a City Data search. Looks like there are so many types of these.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:51 PM

They don't have wings, though.

This is so frustrating! I'm feeling overwhelmed anyway, because I just moved to Raleigh *yesterday* from Oregon.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:56 PM
9/9

383 posts, read 565,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncat View Post
I hope they're not springtails! I just now learned about those on a City Data search. Looks like there are so many types of these.
I actually did my Master's work on springtails. If you do have them, they aren't dangerous or anything.

If you possibily could get a pic, I could confirm springtails one way or the other.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9/9 View Post
I actually did my Master's work on springtails. If you do have them, they aren't dangerous or anything.

If you possibily could get a pic, I could confirm springtails one way or the other.
Oh My God! How great is City Data? I knew there was a wide range of knowledge here, but to get someone who did a Master's thesis on springtails, within an hour of my questions? I'm amazed.

I'll try to get a picture tomorrow. I killed the one that appeared after the Raid, so there aren't any for now. I poured some Tabasco Sauce down the drain, and I have no idea if this will work.

What if my place gets infested with them? This is so disappointing. I really didn't expect this in a building that is supposed to be so nice.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:34 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
Suncat, WELCOME TO NC!!!! (Sorry, I'm no help on the bug thing.) Enjoy the sunshine and let me know when you start missing the OR rain.

PS... did you buy chance bring any extra Grand Central Como Bread or Moon Struck Chocolates with you? I'm paying top dollar for those.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:12 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Welcome to NC. You will find that the Carolinas have some of the weirdest bugs you've ever seen. I am a Raleigh native and the bugs here never cease to amaze me. After 37 years, you'd think I would have seen them all, but year after year, I see bugs that I have no idea what they are and can send me screaming to Dh like a little girl. As long as it isn't a dangerous spider, I just have to shrug them off for the most part. I don't know of any really dangerous bugs here except a few spiders, fire ants and wasps. Weird bugs are unfortunately a part of life here. A can of Raid will be your new best friend. I suggest a can in every room so you don't have to take your eyes off them while huntng down your can under the sink or in the laundry room. Once you take your eyes off them, they mutate and multiply.

If you live in an apartment, I'd be down there first thing in the morning talking to the onsite manager. If you lived in a house, I'd say fumigate, but since you're in an apartment, I would not suggest it until you've spoken with someone first.

Last edited by lamishra; 07-28-2008 at 10:54 PM..

Old 07-28-2008, 10:43 PM

128 posts, read 452,936 times
I'm not sure I know anyone without a pest contract on their home or a can or Raid in the cupboard. It doesn't necessarily have to do with cleanliness, so don't freak out. Just accept the bugs as a part of Southern "charm." Then kill them with your Raid!

And welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary