Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2008, 02:36 PM

9 posts, read 17,951 times

Advertisements

I posted a few weeks ago about moving into the Raleigh/ Cary area and looking in the 500,000-600,000 range. I received lots of wonderful neighborhoods to research but have a few questions for those out there that know these areas. I want to stay as close in to city facilities yet be in a newer house which is why I am targeting east of 55 heading into downtown Cary. On the map it shows 2 sets of RR tracks along Bond Park and Preston CC - are these active tracks? We had a house once that was close to RR tracks and though it was a beautiful house the resale took a lot longer because of the tracks. Plus I would like to avoid the noise.

Noise is also my question concerning airport traffic and 55 or other main road. Are there some neighborhoods that are nice but that you would avoid if sensitive to the noise issue? If anyone has new comments on streets, neighborhoods to consider in my price range feel free to contribute if you haven't already. My husband and I are young 50's and just becoming empty nesters, moving from east coast but from midwest orginally. Need a big enough house for my college kids to come home and visit with friends and want to be in a place among mixed ages, not just new families with young children. Thanks again for all of your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 02:44 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,697,862 times
We lived off of High House just east of Cary Parkway. We occasionally heard the train whistle which didn't bother me (reminded me of my hometown in CT and when I knew my dad would be home in 5 minutes). The train we heard, though was crossing Old Apex Rd., I believe. I'm not sure about the track you're referring to. I know people claim that this part of Cary has a lot of airplane noise but that was absolutely not my experience. I never once had a conversation interrupted by airplane noise and we were always outside (at the pool, riding bikes, taking the dogs for a walk).

Old 08-13-2008, 02:47 PM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choco77 View Post
I posted a few weeks ago about moving into the Raleigh/ Cary area and looking in the 500,000-600,000 range. I received lots of wonderful neighborhoods to research but have a few questions for those out there that know these areas. I want to stay as close in to city facilities yet be in a newer house which is why I am targeting east of 55 heading into downtown Cary. On the map it shows 2 sets of RR tracks along Bond Park and Preston CC - are these active tracks? We had a house once that was close to RR tracks and though it was a beautiful house the resale took a lot longer because of the tracks. Plus I would like to avoid the noise.

Noise is also my question concerning airport traffic and 55 or other main road. Are there some neighborhoods that are nice but that you would avoid if sensitive to the noise issue? If anyone has new comments on streets, neighborhoods to consider in my price range feel free to contribute if you haven't already. My husband and I are young 50's and just becoming empty nesters, moving from east coast but from midwest orginally. Need a big enough house for my college kids to come home and visit with friends and want to be in a place among mixed ages, not just new families with young children. Thanks again for all of your help.
Tracks along Davis Drive and NC 55 do not really affect Preston much.
Tracks along Chapel Hill Road are near the Northeast side of Preston, and may impact some homes.
Tracks along Old Apex Road are about three miles from Preston.
All those three tracks are active.
Planes will be a bigger deal in Preston.
I would suggest you consider Highland Oaks, which SLS refers to, and will have minimal planes, and is far from the tracks. You may hear whistles, but they are in the distance.

It is hard to live in Cary and not hear train whistles. But there is a huge difference between hearing them in the distance and hearing them from 150 feet away.

Wessex comes to mind, if "newer" includes homes from the mid-1990's.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:54 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,816,202 times
The more eastern of the two sets of tracks (the ones that run thru downtown Cary and then parallel to Old Apex Road) are the Amtrak route and also a freight route. Not real busy, but there are trains every day.
The western tracks (closer to NC55) don't seem to get much if any use lately.

Here's a link to help with airplane noise-

www.rduairportnoise.com (broken link)

As far as the presence of airplane noise, there seems to be a pretty wide disparity as to what is an acceptable level of noise. Here is a general rule of thumb based on my personal observations-
The noise is generally less of an objection within neighborhoods West of NC55 than East. My mom lives in Carolina Preserve at Amberly and while they are aware of the presence of planes it doesn't bother them. I used to live in Cary Park and they never bothered me either with the exception of the daily FedEx 747 from Nashville around 6:45 am-a couple of times they came in fast and low and the house shook. We looked at homes in Carpenter Village and found it much noisier than Cary Park, to the point that we ruled out the neighborhood. The worst noise I ever noticed in a neighborhood was in Twin Lakes (KB/Martha Stewart)-I was on the little cul-de-sac where the model homes are grouped together and was shocked at the noise levels.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:55 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,697,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Tracks along Davis Drive and NC 55 do not really affect Preston much.
Tracks along Chapel Hill Road are near the Northeast side of Preston, and may impact some homes.
Tracks along Old Apex Road are about three miles from Preston.
All those three tracks are active.
Planes will be a bigger deal in Preston.
I would suggest you consider Highland Oaks, which SLS refers to, and will have minimal planes, and is far from the tracks. You may hear whistles, but they are in the distance.

It is hard to live in Cary and not hear train whistles. But there is a huge difference between hearing them in the distance and hearing them from 150 feet away.

Wessex comes to mind, if "newer" includes homes from the mid-1990's.
The problem with Highland Oaks is it's slim pickins right now--which is funny since there was a thread in the Spring about why there were so many homes for sale in Highland Oaks.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:33 PM

114 posts, read 373,355 times
FWIW, I live in Carramore which is just north of the Davis-High House intersection and east of 55. Plane noise is there but it's not bothersome to me. We are just outside of the airport noise bands. Sometimes there is a loud plane if you are outside but it's relatively rare. I have not had a plane wake me up. Further north and east might be more noisy.

I hear a train whistle once every few months but it's way off in the distance and would never bother you even if you are outside.

So my location:
RR is not an issue
Planes are only an issue if you are more sensitive than average IMO.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:09 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,425,505 times
A couple of neighborhoods we looked at which had major train noise:
Providence Place in Morrisville
Olde Carpenter in Cary

Old 08-13-2008, 04:51 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,773,458 times
ljd1010, I live near Olde Carpenter and the tracks near there are the same ones that go near you (iirc, you are at Stone Creek Village, correct?). I have only heard the train maybe 10 times in the 3 years I've been here, and then just the whistle and not the actual train. I can understand avoiding that neighborhood if you are sensitive to plane noise, but not trains.

I used to live near the Old Apex one, and could hear/feel the Amtrak.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:54 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,425,505 times
Dire Wolf, after I posted above, I realized that the train along Carpenter-Upchurch rarely is visible or heard. Sorry for the misinformation. You are absolutely correct that it is the same train that goes near me. I've only heard a whistle or two on rare occasion. The train that runs between Chapel Hill Rd and Church St is the one that goes near Providence Place. As far as planes, I've been wondering if they've changed any patterns as I'm now hearing more planes/noise overhead in Stone Creek. It's not bad but definitely more noticeable recently. I'm going to have to research the site.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:39 PM

147 posts, read 689,267 times
We live off of Cary Parkway between High House and Old Apex. We hear a train whistle occasionally. As far as airplane noise, there is noise but it's not too bad at all. Every so often there will be one noisy one. As a matter of fact, I wonder if it's the 6:45 a.m. flight that Funky Chicken was talking about -- it is an early morning flight. Then every so often there's one at night as well. But it's not an every day occurrence. Certainly nothing shaking the house and nothing to wake us up.

It's nothing compared to what we heard when we looked at houses in Morrisville -- Town Commons comes to mind in particular -- and in other parts of Cary, specifically Carpenter Village. A friend of mine looked at Twin Lakes and while we didn't hear much airplane noise there on the weekend during the week it seemed to be a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary