Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2008, 06:00 PM

10 posts, read 20,791 times

Advertisements

Family and I are relocating around June/ July 2009 so our kids can finish up the school year. My husband's a Computer Programmer, Desktop Tech,It Analyst etc so with the experience we are hopeful finding a job even from another state should not be difficult. My quiestion is have any of you same field or other accepted contracting jobs? If so did the turn into perm ones or was it easy to find one (perm) after? DH and I discussed this and he would only accept it if it was aleast a year we have kids and need health care with me being in healthcare I will most likely cover the ins.

There seems to be alot of employement in his field setting everything up will be a challenge but hopefully with having almost a year to research we should be ok.

ETA: we though about relocating w/o a job but we are way too affraid to do that with kids we only have a good three months maybe four of expenses saved.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 06:28 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Contract companies are unstable employers and will let you go on 2 weeks notice if the client reduces the work order.

I came to a federal agency as contract in 1990. Finally snagged a career spot almost 10 years later.

Unless your skills are in heavy demand, watch out for contracting. My agency recently cut many contractors and some had to leave the area to find new slots.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:29 AM

259 posts, read 1,041,961 times
Default Jobs

I would strongly suggest you have a good job lined up. I came to Raleigh from CA and WISH I had never made the move. I did have a job lined up but it was not at all what I thought it would be. The job was actually making me sick. I had 4 months of money to live on, been here 2 months, and now I'm facing living in the street. I don't know a sole down here, but always vacationed in this area and thought the time was right for me to move. I've sent out over over 100 resumes only for positions I qualify for and NOT one of them have responed. On Craigslist as it turns out the actually company is not posting the job its an employment agency posting a well written fake job. I've mentioned before on this forum that I'm not a kid, I'm an older female adult who is scared to death of what is going to happen to me. Even Section 8, which I would hate to have to do won't let me because you need some kind of a job before they will accept you.

Please wait until the economy gets better before you make this move or at least have a good job lined up first. I wish I could be more upbeat, but I'm telling you exactly what the situation is in Wake County for many, many people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyear View Post
Family and I are relocating around June/ July 2009 so our kids can finish up the school year. My husband's a Computer Programmer, Desktop Tech,It Analyst etc so with the experience we are hopeful finding a job even from another state should not be difficult. My quiestion is have any of you same field or other accepted contracting jobs? If so did the turn into perm ones or was it easy to find one (perm) after? DH and I discussed this and he would only accept it if it was aleast a year we have kids and need health care with me being in healthcare I will most likely cover the ins.

There seems to be alot of employement in his field setting everything up will be a challenge but hopefully with having almost a year to research we should be ok.

ETA: we though about relocating w/o a job but we are way too affraid to do that with kids we only have a good three months maybe four of expenses saved.

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:50 AM

87 posts, read 237,448 times
Hermey I'm sorry to see this is impacting you in this way, can I ask if you have been calling into the HR dept at companies you are applying to? It's not as simple as sending in a resume, you really need to be aggressive and call in as well or you can also email management if you know the hiring manager's name? Just call in to state your interest in the role and to follow up on expressing that direct to the company, and to ensure they received your resume.

I would not recommend this without having done this myself in the past, I secured my current position in this way - it takes all the extra effort in today's job markets.

I wish you the best.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:53 AM

151 posts, read 462,818 times
Both my hubbie and I are in the computer field. We both quit our jobs in california and found jobs out here right away. We both took contracting jobs and were both hired on permanently after. He was hired on a 3 month contract, mine was 6 months. This was about 2 years ago.

I understand having a job before you move is a good idea, we just decided not to do it that way. I'd suggest getting a local phone number so recruiters will think you are local - or in the process of transitioning. I think the job market was a little better out here 2 years ago, but it is still pretty good for high tech.

Also, something to consider is that sometimes companies (like mine) only do contract to hire, so your hubbie might not be able to get a full time job right away.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:45 AM

33 posts, read 83,559 times
I do desktop support as well. My wife and I moved out here from california last year. I stuck my resume up on all the usual sites. I wasn't actively looking for a job at first, just trying to get settled in, but about 3 weeks after we arrived I got a call for an interview from a contracting agency. They had a one year contract position they were trying to fill for a company in RTP. I went to the interview the next day, got offered the job about two hours after the interview. I've now been at the company a little over a year, and was hired on as a regular employee earlier this month. So for me, the contracting thing worked out. Usually the longer contracts (6 months and more) give you a much better shot of being hired on full-time. (although I did parlay a 3 month contract into a full-time gig when I was still living in California).

Old 08-22-2008, 08:27 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmiv View Post
I do desktop support as well. My wife and I moved out here from california last year. I stuck my resume up on all the usual sites. I wasn't actively looking for a job at first, just trying to get settled in, but about 3 weeks after we arrived I got a call for an interview from a contracting agency. They had a one year contract position they were trying to fill for a company in RTP. I went to the interview the next day, got offered the job about two hours after the interview. I've now been at the company a little over a year, and was hired on as a regular employee earlier this month. So for me, the contracting thing worked out. Usually the longer contracts (6 months and more) give you a much better shot of being hired on full-time. (although I did parlay a 3 month contract into a full-time gig when I was still living in California).
You did well. I hear from a former contractor at my agency who had to move to PA when she was excessed. The employer hit hard times and never hired her when the 6 month contract expired.

She's now back here collecting jobless benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary