Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 11:33 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,968,785 times

Advertisements

In all fairness to the media, the hurricanes/trop storm tracks change at the last minute all the time, that's the nature of the beast.

However, I shut off WRAL today when I saw some idiot standing on a pier acting like the world was ending and making references to the Godfather - then the cameraman panned left and there was another cameraman sitting there looking totally bored. I've never seen such horrible hurricane/storm coverage in my life. People literally acting as if the winds were blowing them over. This is a major news market, it's not podunk so I don't know why they hire some of these people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 11:44 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,643,059 times
That's pretty much how Fay was when it came across the gulf coast. A tropical storm is nothing more than a bad thunderstorm. It takes at least a cat2 hurricane to do any real damage.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:47 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,387,020 times
It looks like Ike won't affect us either as it's headed towards the Gulf of Mexico.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:48 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,009,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
In all fairness to the media, the hurricanes/trop storm tracks change at the last minute all the time, that's the nature of the beast.
Yep, that's why the National Hurricane Center (NHC) issues storm updates every 3 hours. I think the problem arises when the broadcast media takes the NHC press releases and re-interprets the data provided. Leave the data collection, interpretation and commentary to pros.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:09 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,836,713 times
Quote:
Good-bye drought. Thank you Fay and Hanna.
Actually, the western part of the state is who really needed Hanna; they are still in the extreme category of drought after two summers. But all along, they have said "it will take a tropical storm to get rid of the drought". This probably still didn't do it, but will make a dent.

I guess I can get slightly less pissed off when I see guys at my gym gushing water down the drain while they shave/brush their teeth.

Quote:
Being new to this area, having moved here from MA last September, I was curious as to how long the drought has been going on?
Started around June of 2007; last summer was a really serious situation, with most of the state in "exceptional drought" status for a long time. The western part of the state still is.

We get droughts every few years--there was a pretty substantial one in 2002, which made me permanently rethink my water-usage habits. Note the difference between a drought, which is a lack of rain, and a water shortage, which is often the result of a drought but not the cause thereof.

Quote:
People here make a big deal of nothing. Just a long rain storm.
Well, if you'd ever lived through a real hurricane, you would prefer to be "safe than sorry". It's always better to be prepared than not to be (do you wear a seat belt when you drive? Why? Because something MIGHT happen). Do you feel that it was a "waste of time" to wear your seatbelt every time you don't have an accident?

Most people did not go "hog-wild crazy" once it was apparent that Hanna would be a tropical storm at worst, probably a weak one, but we didn't know that for sure until a couple of days ago. If it HAD been worse than projected, trying to stock up when things were sold out of the grocery stores, etc would have been a worse situation. So now people have a few more batteries and jugs of water than they need...still no need to be dismissive of "people here" (let me guess, you're a transplant who thinks everything should be done the way they did it where you came from?)

Old 09-06-2008, 12:15 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,009,135 times
NC drought status map released every Thursday.

North Carolina Drought Management Advisory Council

Old 09-06-2008, 12:27 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,525,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Actually, the western part of the state is who really needed Hanna; they are still in the extreme category of drought after two summers. But all along, they have said "it will take a tropical storm to get rid of the drought". This probably still didn't do it, but will make a dent.

I guess I can get slightly less pissed off when I see guys at my gym gushing water down the drain while they shave/brush their teeth.

Started around June of 2007; last summer was a really serious situation, with most of the state in "exceptional drought" status for a long time. The western part of the state still is.

We get droughts every few years--there was a pretty substantial one in 2002, which made me permanently rethink my water-usage habits. Note the difference between a drought, which is a lack of rain, and a water shortage, which is often the result of a drought but not the cause thereof.

Well, if you'd ever lived through a real hurricane, you would prefer to be "safe than sorry". It's always better to be prepared than not to be (do you wear a seat belt when you drive? Why? Because something MIGHT happen). Do you feel that it was a "waste of time" to wear your seatbelt every time you don't have an accident?

Most people did not go "hog-wild crazy" once it was apparent that Hanna would be a tropical storm at worst, probably a weak one, but we didn't know that for sure until a couple of days ago. If it HAD been worse than projected, trying to stock up when things were sold out of the grocery stores, etc would have been a worse situation. So now people have a few more batteries and jugs of water than they need...still no need to be dismissive of "people here" (let me guess, you're a transplant who thinks everything should be done the way they did it where you came from?)
There was no chance this one was going to do anything. People love to panic and the media loves to feed that fear. We are too far into the state for most hurricanes to do anything. If this storm was hitting FL people wouldn't have done anything because they are educated on hurricanes.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:30 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,173,593 times
Fran sure proved us wrong thinking a storm can't come far inland retaining its power.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:36 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,525,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Fran sure proved us wrong thinking a storm can't come far inland retaining its power.
That is why I said most. So 1 bad one in how many years? 20? 30?

Live in FL 20 minutes from the water and you'll know what it's like to go through bad hurricanes every year.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:51 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,836,713 times
Quote:
People love to panic and the media loves to feed that fear. We are too far into the state for most hurricanes to do anything.
I see you didn't live here during Fran.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary