Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 03:41 PM

596 posts, read 729,896 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! First, I apologize if this topic has already been discussed before. I did do a search before posting but I didn't find anything. I'd like to know if anyone has any first hand knowledge of the Kensington Trace condos in Chapel Hill off of Weaver Dairy Rd. I am thinking of renting a condo there, and just wanted to know if anyone is familiar with the neighborhood and/or the condos themselves. Of course I am going out there to take a look around myself, but I won't have time until the end of the week, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to get some opinions and info before I go. Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 03:54 PM

413 posts, read 1,254,796 times
I know Kensington Trace fairly well (or at least did when it was 1st built). We used to call it Disney "in the Hill" because of it's colors (pastel, but not like most other houses in Chapel Hill, which has rather restrictive guidelines). Anyway, specifics to Kensington Trace, I've never seen before on this site so I'll fill you what I do know that's still pertinent.
It's on the busline (free in Chapel Hill) and very convenient to 2 grocery stores (within walking distance), a movie (indy) theater, coffee shop, and some other small restaurants (including sushi bar if you like), 2 banks, drs office, post office, gee what am I forgetting??? Anyway--all within walking distance.
Kensington Trace from what I recall is typical of many condo units geared toward students; flimsy build (you could easily hear the folks next door from my friend's unit back then). Not sure how the utility bills may be. :0
I'd try for an end unit for that reason though. As far as I know Kensington Trace has never been targeted with any of the petty crime stuff in other parts of Chapel Hill...I guess most folks know to hit the homes further down Weaver Dairy for the good stuff so they don't bother. Seriously, no crime that I have ever heard there. There was an issue though recently of a person being hit near there, but further up Kensington Trace closer to Airport Rd/MLK, so do be careful if you do decide to live there and walk!

Old 09-15-2008, 07:39 PM

1 posts, read 8,298 times
I've lived there for the past 4.5 years and have enjoyed it very much. Ausmerika covered why it is in a great location; I'll add that it is about 2 minutes from I-40. There are less undergrads and more professional students than there were in the past. The condo's themselves range from very nice to mediocre depending on what upgrades have been done. Feel free to PM me with any more detailed questions.

Old 09-16-2008, 02:37 AM

596 posts, read 729,896 times
Thanks to you both for responding. So far, I've only seen pictures of the particular unit that I'm intersted in, and it appears to have been updated very nicely. I'll know more when I see it in person this weekend. I am a little concerned about the flimsy build though, for noise reasons. I am well beyond college age, so I'm glad to know it doesn't cater strictly to the undergrad crowd. Great info! Thanks again.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:37 PM

2 posts, read 7,790 times
Fast forward to 2014! I am new to the area and am interested in Kensington Trace as well. Has anyone lived there recently? Are the units still flimsy so far as noise is concerned? I would be looking at an end unit. Any idea what the HOA fees are?

Thanks!

outatime00

Old 08-07-2014, 07:33 PM

1 posts, read 3,863 times
Default hoa fees

OutofTime. You likely have an answer by now. The monthly fees are $145.00.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:00 AM

2 posts, read 7,790 times
Thanks!

Old 08-09-2014, 09:46 AM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
I have seen listings for these online and they appear to be a very good value for Chapel Hill. Does anyone know if they have any of the townhouse-style units that are not on top of a one level garden unit?

Old 07-18-2019, 09:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,143 times
Hello,

I am considering renting a townhouse or a ground floor condo at Kensington Trace, I see that there are sound issues between walls, and that does concern me, anyone who lives there currently have an opinion of this community?

Thanks!

Old 07-18-2019, 08:14 PM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
I have seen listings for these online and they appear to be a very good value for Chapel Hill. Does anyone know if they have any of the townhouse-style units that are not on top of a one level garden unit?
As a matter of fact 25 year old Nick who was still debating buying a home in Chapel Hill and did two years after this ...

Kensington Trace does not have any units in that style. Only ground-level garden units with two-story units above them

You've also shown several units in there to clients since becoming a Realtor yourself and see why they are so cheap. Half of them are right under giant power-lines and the floorplans are tight and awkward.

Good thing you bought in Finley Forest instead which has appreciated much higher and now you're the top listing agent there!

PS...you're metabolism is about to hit the wall like you wouldn't believe ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary