Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 09:04 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times

Advertisements

good for you. face to face is where the hiring occurs.
many do not understand this. they also do not understand the concept of 1st impression and expect employers to adjust their perception to see the real you.
employment is 80% attitude. good job good post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 09:10 PM

741 posts, read 3,510,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Lover View Post
Yesterday, I put on a suit and heels and went to places where I would like to work. The first place had an opening so I completed the application for the manager to look at when he returned. Then I noticed another place where I would considering working and sure enough they were also hiring. I completed the application brought it back today and they hired me. The idea to do this was presented to me by one of people on this forum. I'll be working in an office, but not a call center. The pay is more than I expected with full medical and dental benefits after only one month on the job. That was a very pleasant surprise. I never noticed these 2 positions advertised on Craigslist, or on any of the other websites I utilized for my job hunting. So I guess you have to get out there and knock on doors before any doors are going to be opened. Plus, they get to see you right away, and if you present yourself well it will leave them with a very good impression. It worked for me so I hope by passing this information along it can help others who are in need of work and in a scary financial situation as I was. I wish you all the very best of luck pursuing the best possible job. And I want to thank all of you who gave me good advice, the hope to go on, and to have faith.
yeah! I'm glad it all worked out, see what looking outside the box does. I had a good feeling about that tip...

Old 09-16-2008, 09:25 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
I am impressed, Art Lover, and I see that the person that hired you was impressed, as well.

Congrats on your new job!

Vicki

Old 09-16-2008, 09:35 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Wonderful. Your actions showed them you are a go-getter.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:24 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,548,381 times
YAHOO! I am so happy for you.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:26 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,721,235 times
Way to get out there and make things happen

Old 09-17-2008, 07:50 AM

335 posts, read 801,036 times
Way to work that positive attitude! I was hoping you'd update us sooner or later, glad it was sooner rather than later. Congrats and hope you enjoy your new job.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:48 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,171,345 times
Thumbs up Kudos!!!

Way to go!!! I would love to be able to find a job as a "walk in" when I get there, too. Wouldn't it be nice if it was that way for all jobs? Today no one even sees your face or gets to know anything about you anymore...your resume is just scanned by a computer online and there is no other way of applying (no "in person" apps)...computers are a blessing in many ways, but impersonal...

Last edited by onegreatnurse; 09-17-2008 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 09-17-2008, 09:37 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
I had a buyer that got tired of sending in her resume to Wake County Public Schools. She actually chose the schools that she wanted to work at and actually walked into the schools and asked to see the principals. She got to speak to them, face to face, and she also got a job.

I think it says alot about a person when you are that motivated.

Vicki

Old 09-17-2008, 10:35 PM

305 posts, read 713,769 times
I know someone who moved here and wound up in very much the same sitaution as what you were in. After a couple months of aggressive job searching, they unfortunately had to take a job at a Raleigh Walmart for the time being, even though that job is far below their qualifications.

So you are quite lucky. Congratulations, I hope things keep working out well for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary