Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 12:01 PM

577 posts, read 1,901,598 times

Advertisements

Quote from nc tv14,,, “There are so many people that are unemployed. In our area alone -- we serve the capital area, which is Wake and Johnston counties -- the number of individuals that are currently unemployed in our area is over 29,000." wow thats alot of competition,,,,,,,,,, Please keep this in mind if you think this is the best place for jobs,,,,,not good, This area never did have the job growth needed to cover the transplant migration. Ya the whole country is in a mess but this was called in posts over two years ago when others would say he is just chicken little and the sky is falling. Now we are in bad shape compared to job growth in Texas and other still growing areas, Charlotte still shows job growth but who nows with the banking mess imploding. Jobs equal growth not growth equals jobs,,,,,Time sorts out the reality and it has, Think before you move folks,,please take care of your families first before worring about warm weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 02:28 PM

50 posts, read 186,390 times
Is there more on this? The reason I ask is because those numbers don't compute with the unemployment rate at all. I don't want someone scared to look here because of misinformation.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:31 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,051,088 times
Honestly, it's like that everywhere. Although, I heard Texas has more employment. I'm just hoping the economy gets straightened out so ppl can find jobs. I truely believe this is a big part of it. It is a good idea to secure employment before moving there or anywhere for that matter.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:21 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,170,559 times
Yeah, Texas will have lots of employment...it will be called "cleaning up the mess after the hurricane" employment. You couldn't pay me to live there right now.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:45 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,573,449 times
Things are tough all over; likely tougher in other places.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:58 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,157,679 times
well maybe those people and i aren't looking for the same jobs, or they aren't qualified for the jobs i'm looking at. thanks for the random number though?

Old 09-17-2008, 04:02 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,158,405 times
The job opportunities are in certain skills. Others have little to no opportunity here or very poor pay scales compared to other cities.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:14 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,128,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
The job opportunities are in certain skills. Others have little to no opportunity here or very poor pay scales compared to other cities.
Isn't that true every where? The job market is solid in certain areas covering certain industries. The pay scale may stink for a certain job line in the Triangle but pay better for another. I do agree people need to research for their particular situation, but I refuse to believe that the sky is falling.

Regarding the Texas economy being so great; HP is laying of 24,600 people over the next three years. HP is headquartered in Texas. I'm sure some of those eliminated will be in Texas.

We live in a world of ups and downs. In times of economic hardship some industries will suffer BUT others will strive and shine. New innovations will arise and the world will continue to change. Remember change is the only constant.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:43 PM

528 posts, read 1,462,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC man View Post
Quote from nc tv14,,, “There are so many people that are unemployed. In our area alone -- we serve the capital area, which is Wake and Johnston counties -- the number of individuals that are currently unemployed in our area is over 29,000." wow thats alot of competition,,,,,,,,,, Please keep this in mind if you think this is the best place for jobs,,,,,not good, Think before you move folks,,please take care of your families first before worring about warm weather.
When you consider that Michigan's unemployment is pushing 9%, I can take the competition from a mere 29,000 people! Bring it on! (that's my war face...he he).

And for the most part, I do give people credit for thinking about things. For example, my husband is staying with his current company when we move to NC. But we just feel that the tech area (which is hubby's industry) is better in terms of future options for him. I can work just about anywhere.

Maybe I'm an eternal optimist, but I think people think things through pretty well before they make such a big decision. Sometimes it's the wrong decision, but hey, I'd rather make the leap for a better future than stay where I know the road is a long, rough one. Yes we see people on here saying things like "I miss my family, this was a bad choice" or "I'm having a hard time finding a job". But this is part of the learning process and finding out what's most important to us.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:46 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,518,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
That's how most cities are. This area is great in general for many skills if you have a college degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary