Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 04:32 PM

392 posts, read 1,375,192 times

Advertisements

Just curious if anyone has moved to the Raleigh area after living in the Lehigh Valley. Looking for comparisons, thoughts, etc.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 08:53 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,694,803 times
My wife's family is from Lehighton, what would you like to know?

Old 09-20-2008, 09:39 PM

Well, whats it like compared to the valley? We are moving due to my wifes transfer, and I have yet to checkit out. I'm coming down next weekend to see. How does it compare in pretty much all aspects. I know its pretty broad, but I'm just looking for overall feel I guess. Is it slower paced than the valley? I can pretty much figure its going to be better, but I was looking for someone to just give some comparisons of what they like and dont like compared to the valley. Hopefully this makes sense!

Old 09-21-2008, 07:44 AM

49 posts, read 200,384 times
Default Raleigh a bit more expensive than Lehigh valley

I moved here from Lehigh Valley 3 yrs ago. The pace of life is a bit slower but it does not crawl. I think the housing prices are a bit higher in the Triangle. The Triangle cost of living seems to be a bit more. Now inflation may contribute to some of that but it seemed that identical grocery items at Walmart in Lehigh Valley were a bit lower.

The better Wake county schools are similar to the Parkland, Upper Saucon, Emmaus school districts in the Lehigh Valley.

Now the triangle is much larger than the Lehigh Valley so you get much more variety in terms of stores and shopping and things to do. Many more restaurants and food variety in the triangle. The Philly restaurant scene is a better than the Triangle but that is an hour plus from the Lehigh Valley.

The weather s obviously warmer so the summers are more uncomfortable and the winters are much more tolerable.

You don't have the proximity to Philly or New York like you do in Lehigh Valley so you may miss that.

The local media is probably one area you see the slower life. The local news is not as upbeat as the Philly/New York local news you can view in the Lehigh Valley.

The distance to the beach is about the same for both locations if that is important.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:52 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltank View Post
My wife's family is from Lehighton, what would you like to know?
My daughter was born in Lehighton! Raleigh is much better than Allentown. What area were you in? Do you want suburbs, city or country? I think Clayton is more like Lehighton. North Raleigh is more like Allentown, maybe a bit bigger. Rolesville is like Blakeslee. You have all the convenience but it has a different vibe. The weather is better too. You'll love it here.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:25 PM

21 posts, read 76,338 times
Beckycat,
How old is your daughter, I am 28 and have been living here for the past 10 years. I grew up in PA and lived there my whole life before moving here.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:29 PM

21 posts, read 76,338 times
I grew up in Lehighton and moved here in 1998. I love it here except for no snow. You may love that, but I do not. I moved when I was 18 so I was not around it my whole life. Now my mom moved here 4 years ago and loves not having the snow so I think it depends on the person. I never lived in Allentown so it is hard for me to compare since Lehighton is so much smaller. This area is great for jobs, housing, shopping, things to do. The beaches are beautiful compared to Jersey beaches. I have not met one person who moved here from the North that does not love it. I think you all should come down for a visit. Where are you all planning on looking to buy a home? I know a lot of people in real estate and new home sales and would be happy to point you in some directions of nice homes. Do you know what price range you would be looking in?

Old 09-21-2008, 04:12 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napa2004 View Post
Beckycat,
How old is your daughter, I am 28 and have been living here for the past 10 years. I grew up in PA and lived there my whole life before moving here.
She's 18. She was born in Gnaden Hutton Hopsital. We only lived in Albightsille until she was about one. We moved back to the Poconos where we were from. Where are you living?

Old 09-21-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
My daughter was born in Lehighton! Raleigh is much better than Allentown. What area were you in? Do you want suburbs, city or country? I think Clayton is more like Lehighton. North Raleigh is more like Allentown, maybe a bit bigger. Rolesville is like Blakeslee. You have all the convenience but it has a different vibe. The weather is better too. You'll love it here.
Right now we live in Salisbury Township which is pretty nice. We have set ourselves up with a realtor to show us the areas and some homes, so we are set there ($225k to $270k). I guess we are just looking to be around people who value their community.

Definitely want to be near Greek Restaurants as I am Greek!

It always surprised me that with the amount of Greeks in the valley, there arent any true Greek restaurants Plenty of Diners with Greek food, and then beyond that Minsi Trail Inn and Gus's, and both of those arent full greek restaurants.

Proximity to Steak and Shake is important-love it!

Also, any good diners down there?

Old 09-21-2008, 04:51 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,294,327 times
Not much in the way of diners like up in PA, Jersey, etc., imo, but there's an excellent Greek restaurant in Durham called Spartacus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary