Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 04:38 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times

Advertisements

I had the urge today to take a few pictures so I drove through Oakcroft on my way home from work today and snapped a few in case any out of town folks are interested in getting a feel for what that development looks like. I fear my pictures don't really do it justice as I only took a few quick shots of a small portion of the overall development. I will try and post more when I have more time; I just did a drive by today because it is a bit cold out! It is a very nice looking neighborhood adjacent to Bedford. I believe it has entrances off both Falls of The Neuse Road and Dunn Road and that the homes start somewhere around $400K and up. I noticed several kids riding around on bikes and the area seemed to have a nice family friendly vibe. Hope folks find the pictures useful! These pictures were taken on 2/9/07.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2007, 11:13 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,401,410 times
Thanks for the pictures. It helps to see the actual homes and neighborhood.

Old 02-10-2007, 11:51 AM

579 posts, read 2,863,427 times
Gee thanks! They are gorgeous and now I know what I can never have!
lol

Old 02-10-2007, 12:33 PM

54 posts, read 217,046 times
Great pictures,NRG. Your efforts are much appreciated.
Appromately how old is this subdivision?
THX

Old 02-10-2007, 12:57 PM

286 posts, read 946,394 times
Thank you Raleigh Guy- i love your pixs

Old 02-11-2007, 11:20 PM

359 posts, read 1,838,381 times
Yes, we really love the pictures. Especially since we will not be able to visit before we move. Thanks for all your efforts.

Old 02-12-2007, 04:45 AM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEJ View Post
Great pictures,NRG. Your efforts are much appreciated.
Appromately how old is this subdivision?
THX

Oakcroft is full of spankin' new homes by some good builders.
You can see permit boxes on posts and in the first one, all the way down the street there is a permit box and possibly a dumpster.
One house has a porta-jon in the yard, and I guarantee you all these nice houses have indoor plumbing.

Old 02-12-2007, 06:04 AM

60 posts, read 288,303 times
Oakcroft is about 2 years old. They are finishing the few remaining houses. We moved there about a year ago. Yes, it is a great neighborhood. Lots of kids, people are great, and indoor plumbing is included in the price.
Our builder, Future Homes, was great to work with. The house inspector we used was really impressed with the quality of the house.
NRG, great pics.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:55 PM

54 posts, read 207,536 times
Why does every house look fake; like a figurine on Mr. Rogers? Is there any architechural creativity in any neighborhoods? Am I just spoiled living in New England?

Old 09-20-2007, 04:59 AM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryon View Post
Why does every house look fake; like a figurine on Mr. Rogers? Is there any architechural creativity in any neighborhoods? Am I just spoiled living in New England?
Does new construction by national and large regional builders in New England offer significantly different design at the prices you see in Oakcroft?

These homes are designed for mass market, to be the safest possible appeal to the largest number of buyers, many of whom put maximum square footage/$$$ and possible future resale above their own daily lifestyle.
On top of that, as you can often see on this forum, a great many people place a very high value on the type of homes around them, wanting their neighbors' homes to mirror their own choices. We feel safest surrounded by that which gives us comfort. That helps create cookie cutter subdivisions.

I guarantee you the designs are studied thoroughly to appeal to a great slice of the buying public. That is an absolute must for publicly-traded builders who must report results to stockholders. They will not take the risks of stepping out of the mainstream.

If you want to make an architectural statement, you can hire an architect. Creativity is certainly available. I could recommend a couple for you.
But you need to carry cash. It is harder to get an appraisal if you are not nearly the same as something nearby. It is hard for that appraiser to find comps and take the risk of saying your custom designed home is worth 25% more per square foot than a proven subdivision home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary