Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 02:31 AM

190 posts, read 1,075,423 times

Advertisements

Our two dogs (Chihuahua and a large, LOUD, hound) have never set off our glass break detectors (CPI). We got an alternative to the motion sensors, it is a sensor on an interior door that is closed when we are gone (or home, if we want) that if opened, will set the alarm off immediately...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 07:59 AM

789 posts, read 1,991,344 times
Okay, so ADT said that they will ONLY do a 3-year contract and that it is non-negotiable. The monthly service was $34 if we have a phone line (land-line). It jumped to $47 a month without the land-line, and they were not willing to do it through our internet. Ironically they said that if the modem goes down or the internet is out, we won't have service. I asked what happens if someone just cuts our phone line, and was told that rarely happens and the sound of the alarm scares off my intruders.

We contacted a local company who quoted $27 a month using the wi-fi (or airwaves or whatever they called it), and only require a 1-year contract.

We plan to contact a few more local companies and CPI. I'll update after we get those quotes.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:34 AM

286 posts, read 749,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainLineMommy View Post
Okay, so ADT said that they will ONLY do a 3-year contract and that it is non-negotiable. The monthly service was $34 if we have a phone line (land-line). It jumped to $47 a month without the land-line, and they were not willing to do it through our internet. Ironically they said that if the modem goes down or the internet is out, we won't have service. I asked what happens if someone just cuts our phone line, and was told that rarely happens and the sound of the alarm scares off my intruders.

We contacted a local company who quoted $27 a month using the wi-fi (or airwaves or whatever they called it), and only require a 1-year contract.

We plan to contact a few more local companies and CPI. I'll update after we get those quotes.
Hey...did you ever get a security system? If so , who did you go with?

Old 07-28-2009, 11:47 AM

789 posts, read 1,991,344 times
We have not yet gotten a security system. We haven't ruled one out, but the best prices we have gotten for the monthly rate include some pretty hefty upfront costs (in excess of $300). We're looking into purchasing the hardware ourselves for less, getting it installed by a professional (as a side-job) and not bothering with monitoring. The alarm is only to protect our family, if no one is home everything is covered by insurance, so the monitoring will just call the police. We've spoken to several local police officers who say that alarms are a low priority, so we're going to get the better response time just by calling.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:27 PM

286 posts, read 749,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainLineMommy View Post
We have not yet gotten a security system. We haven't ruled one out, but the best prices we have gotten for the monthly rate include some pretty hefty upfront costs (in excess of $300). We're looking into purchasing the hardware ourselves for less, getting it installed by a professional (as a side-job) and not bothering with monitoring. The alarm is only to protect our family, if no one is home everything is covered by insurance, so the monitoring will just call the police. We've spoken to several local police officers who say that alarms are a low priority, so we're going to get the better response time just by calling.

Thanks for the response. I have an older system that is 20years old, needs upgrading. We do not have it monitored either. I figure if the alarm goes off, the neighbors will call the police. The alarm will time out eventually if we are not home to cut it off.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:44 PM

16 posts, read 33,373 times
Do the math a free system is two doors, motion, keypad. That is not a security system. When I drive around and see a sign from the large national companies the first thing I think of is two doors and a motion no protection. The local companies will install a complete system with no long term constracts and yes you get what you pay for. The large national companies have more overhead than local companies and their presidents are paid huge salaries letting you know that they make up the money in the contracts. If you pay the $30-$40 month fee over a period of time you pay far more for the large national systems. One other thing to consider they install a proprietary system and other companies can not take over the monthly service without replacing equipment. Always ask if the equipment in proporietary or non-proprietary to save yourself headaches in the future.

Two-way voice please!!! For medical it is a great idea but for security??? The last thing I want is somebody standing around the corner listening to me talk over a loudspeaker/mic about what is going on in my home. A private phone conversation with the monitoring company is what should be promoted if the company actually cares about their customer's safety. That's right 90 percent of their alarms are accidental so I guess they are just trying to cut down on false alarms and not be concerned about their customer's safety.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:32 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,245,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbcat View Post
Does anyone know if the glass breakage detectors are really set off by dog barks? I didn't get it because the Vector rep mentioned it (and my dog is kind of yappy), but I wonder if it was true.
It may or may not be set off by a bark, but it WILL be set off if a dog jumps against the windows (toenails on the windows will definitely set off the alarm). Well... unless it's one of those 4 lb dogs.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:47 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy61 View Post
I figure if the alarm goes off, the neighbors will call the police.
Seriously? I've heard many car alarms and house alarms going off over the years, and never once have I thought I should call the police. Relying on your neighbors, who seem more likely to be annoyed than prompted to action, seems like a weak link in the security system.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:56 AM

47 posts, read 129,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post

90% of prevention is the yard sign and window stickers. Casual thieves will see them and move on to a neighbor's house. Any thief that sees the signage and still goes for the house is either incredibly stupid, or professional enough to know how to silence alarms. For this reason, you need a wi-fi alarm if you get anything at all - anything using the standard tele line can easily be compromised.

Alarms are mostly for protecting you while you are in the home, but when people are home, they typically do not have the alarm armed. Locked windows and deadbolted doors will mean anyone breaking in will cause a loud noise, and the only thing that will be of immediate help if someone enters a house with you is a weapon on hand. Police and Fire typically show up too late in those unfortunate situations.

The key is to understand what you want an alarm for. If its for protecting your house while your away, you have homeowners insurance for that. If its for protecting you while you're at home, then there's value.
This is spot on. In our previous residence we had an alarm system, and I feel the money may have been wasted. I suppose I felt a little better when my wife was home alone and I knew the system was there. I honestly think my 2 (Boxer and German Shepard) dogs are FAR BETTER deterrents than any alarm system could ever be. I'd hate to be the person to break into my house and face those two.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:30 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
It's interesting that those who have or use alarm systems focus only on the intrusion aspect. Does no one find value in the carbon monoxide, fire, or other monitoring features?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary