Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 07:09 AM

59 posts, read 275,365 times

Advertisements

Hi Eyeryone,
I have a question but cannot seem to find the answer and I'm hoping that someone here can help..Thanks for reading...

Presently we do not have an HOA. We have no swimming pool, tennis courts or child play areas. Our sub-div is one house away from being completed, The developer is responsible for maintaing the sub-div for 1 year following the conveyance of the last property/lot.

A small group of people want to form an HOA after the developer relinquishes his responsiblities

Question.. Because there wasn't an HOA when we moved here and have not signed any papers, are we legally obliged to to join the HOA if one is set up...

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 07:20 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,407,799 times
I'm not a lawyer, but I don't see how you could be.

Perhaps you need to get involved and try to convince them an HOA isn't the way to go. For some reason so many people think you have two options: HOA or no HOA.
There is in fact a middle ground: a neighborhood association. The nonbinding, voluntary type. Most of Raleigh's older neighborhoods have these, and they're certainly as effective as an HOA if not more so, since they don't go around acting like "Big Brother" and trying to force people to do things.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:52 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
You CAN be forced if the covenants are written up that way.

Usually the covenants state that the builder is going to manage the HOA for a specific amount of time. Once that time comes, the covenants state how the HOA is to be managed and or changed. These covenants are recorded in NC, so they are public record.

Hope that helps...Vicki

Old 02-21-2007, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
I'm not a lawyer, but I don't see how you could be.

Perhaps you need to get involved and try to convince them an HOA isn't the way to go. For some reason so many people think you have two options: HOA or no HOA.
There is in fact a middle ground: a neighborhood association. The nonbinding, voluntary type. Most of Raleigh's older neighborhoods have these, and they're certainly as effective as an HOA if not more so, since they don't go around acting like "Big Brother" and trying to force people to do things.

Thanks for the reply...

We have a had 'conversations' with the group and they are hell bent on creating one ...I like your idea about a " neighborhood association", I suggest that approach. We are a year away from the formation of the HOA

Old 02-21-2007, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
You CAN be forced if the covenants are written up that way.

Usually the covenants state that the builder is going to manage the HOA for a specific amount of time. Once that time comes, the covenants state how the HOA is to be managed and or changed. These covenants are recorded in NC, so they are public record.

Hope that helps...Vicki

Yes it helps thank you...

So it is LEGAL ?, that amazes me...

So I'm bound to join... I'm not having much luck finding stuff on the web, so would you know anywhere on the web I could find out how all the legal rights and wrongs. I would like to fight against this proposition as would many others in the s/d but I think we are outnumbered.

HOA's are new concept to me as I'm from England and was trying to get away from "Taxes" ...

Old 02-21-2007, 09:20 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Talk to an attorney. Have them look at your deed. It should be easy if you can go to the attorney who wrote the deed.

Like Vicki says, The covenants often lay it out, but vary in how they are written, and how much of a vote it takes to force one on folks who don't want it.
And like Rob correctly said, I'm not an attorney either, and this is one I would want a little qualified legal advice on if I was a homeowner.

Old 02-21-2007, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Talk to an attorney. Have them look at your deed. It should be easy if you can go to the attorney who wrote the deed.

Like Vicki says, The covenants often lay it out, but vary in how they are written, and how much of a vote it takes to force one on folks who don't want it.
And like Rob correctly said, I'm not an attorney either, and this is one I would want a little qualified legal advice on if I was a homeowner.
Thanks again for the reply...I really appreciate your input

I know I should go to an attorney, however was hoping for some "free" legal advice off the web...

Old 02-21-2007, 11:26 AM

315 posts, read 1,256,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexres View Post
Thanks again for the reply...I really appreciate your input

I know I should go to an attorney, however was hoping for some "free" legal advice off the web...

Remember, you get what you pay for.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:02 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Listen to Dave. He knows.
And your closing attorney will likely give you a discussion/clarification of the deed without much expense.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:04 PM

1,484 posts, read 4,155,832 times
Default Look at this link

I am going through the same thing now because a small group in our sub. want to push to be able to police the area. IT will just be a blackhole of money since we also have no amenities. We have covenants but a HOA is not detailed in them, just mention as a HOA. In your sub. where these people are really pushing for it means that you are in for a headache.

Here are 2 links for you to copy into your browers:
http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedL...apter_47F.html (copy both parts)

and
http://www.carolinajournal.com/exclu...e.html?id=3548

I honestly think that if one is created, just move because you can find ones where at least everything is in writing and not created after you buy the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary