Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 04:16 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times

Advertisements

Now that the weather is warming up I am looking forward to getting out and taking more pictures in the upcoming spring and summer months. Although I already have some ideas in mind of areas in Raleigh / Durham that I plan to photograph, I am also interested in hearing suggestions from the good folks on this board.

I love reading the posts here on this forum, but I am often surprised at what I feel are misunderstandings of what some of the places here in the Triangle are truly like. While it goes without saying that everyone is entitled to their opinion, it seems all too easy for an anonymous poster to make sweeping generalizations about specific areas in the Triangle that some people unfamiliar with this area seem to interpret as hard facts. This seems to be the case most often with posts discussing both Cary and Durham.

For these reasons, I am particularly interested in taking pictures in both of these areas that give as true a representation as possible of what they are truly like. Although I recognize that a few pictures can never really capture the true essence of an area, it may help some folks who have not yet had the chance to experience them first hand get a better feel for what they are actually like.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 05:30 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
WOW! What a great thing to do! Thanks!

Maybe some pictures of downtown Durham. When I was there this summer I was sad to see that it had not been refurbished yet. But I saw SO much potential. Maybe others would like to see that as well. Also, maybe some shots of surrounding historic neighborhoods.

Old 02-23-2007, 05:49 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,061 times
Default Durham pics

NRG, we are seriously considering the Durham area. We are not looking for a new house so would appreciate some pictures of older neighborhoods. So far, all the neighborhoods Bull City Rising has mentioned look appealing but the lots may be too small. It would be nice to see pics of Hope Valley Farms also. Southpointe has been mentioned also. We were influenced by negative comments before we visited in November so we didn't see very much of Durham. The downtown area kind of turned us off. It never occurred to us it was being revitalized. LOL. Thanks.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:05 PM

28 posts, read 81,860 times
Yeah I wish I had my camera the only time I went to Durham. I'm from the Philly area, so I know a ghetto when I see one. I didn't expect to see some guy taking a poo in the middle of Roxboro Road though. That was pretty interesting. But then again I don't read Spanish that well, so I may have missed the sign that said El baño.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:12 PM

286 posts, read 946,122 times
NRG-i just love your pics-thank you, i am moving to charlotte, but find myself on this forum,looking to see what you have photographed this past week
if you ever go by any of the hospitals(i know it is a strange request, but medicine is my passion)i would love to see the medical facilities.
ok -thanks again for all the wonderful pics-love them

Old 02-23-2007, 06:25 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,912,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Now that the weather is warming up I am looking forward to getting out and taking more pictures in the upcoming spring and summer months. Although I already have some ideas in mind of areas in Raleigh / Durham that I plan to photograph, I am also interested in hearing suggestions from the good folks on this board.

I love reading the posts here on this forum, but I am often surprised at what I feel are misunderstandings of what some of the places here in the Triangle are truly like. While it goes without saying that everyone is entitled to their opinion, it seems all too easy for an anonymous poster to make sweeping generalizations about specific areas in the Triangle that some people unfamiliar with this area seem to interpret as hard facts. This seems to be the case most often with posts discussing both Cary and Durham.

For these reasons, I am particularly interested in taking pictures in both of these areas that give as true a representation as possible of what they are truly like. Although I recognize that a few pictures can never really capture the true essence of an area, it may help some folks who have not yet had the chance to experience them first hand get a better feel for what they are actually like.

Any suggestions?
I'd echo some of the other Durham suggestions on here: Trinity Park, Forest Hills, Watts-Hillandale neighborhoods; American Tobacco Historic District and the Bulls ballpark; Brightleaf and West Village; Hope Valley/Hope Valley Farms area, Southpoint; Ninth Street. If you need some streets/areas to go with this just let me know.

Have been meaning to do this myself once the weather warms up! Thanks for getting the jimp. :-)

Old 02-23-2007, 06:37 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
NRG,
I could shoot for hours at Yates Mill County Park.

And when the azaleas and dogwoods bloom... Well, just get outside with the camera and go at it!

I shot a few photos of 2nd Empire Restaurant tonight. Got the brackets and some of the trim on the 2nd level porch, against the perfect blue sky.

If you walk downtown at 5:30-6:00 PM, the setting sun does really neat stuff on the buildings along Fayetteville Street.

How about a study of the Time and Light tower?

Old 02-23-2007, 07:47 PM

88 posts, read 396,930 times
NRG, You are a heroic Samaritan.

If your travels take you through SW Cary, I'm interested in pictures of the development they call Harmony.

Also, the landmarks in downtown Raleigh and Durham sound fun. It would be fun to see generic white-collar office workers (thats me) walking around looking for sandwich shops on a Tuesday afternoon lunch break downtown.

Old 02-24-2007, 05:13 AM

1,790 posts, read 6,515,154 times
^ agree! And some downtown shots of what is to come (construction sites) might be helpful. They have a ton of new housing choices coming online.

Old 02-24-2007, 11:50 PM

359 posts, read 1,838,035 times
Thanks so much!! We too are looking for an older home. I like new construction ok. But no trees, no character , and really small lots, unless you go out some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary