Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 04:49 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,864,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
The relevant difference is time, and time change. Most flights to Europe, out of any hub, leave in the evening. A business traveler who wants to travel RDU to LHR can work almost the whole day, then head over to the airport at 4 or so. If she (or he) takes a connecting flight then she loses the majority of the day of work in flying to the connecting hub. A whole day of work is lost. So for a traveler leaving RDU, the non-stop is the best option.

For a traveler returning, the full day is already lost. Most flights leave Europe in the morning and arrive in the US in mid- to late afternoon. So for anyone coming from Europe there isn't much benefit to coming in on a non-stop. So you get to RDU at 2 or 3, or you get to CLT or IAD or EWR at 2 or 3 and then connect and get here at 6 or 7. It doesn't make much difference. You still can't get in much time at the office until the next morning.

That is what changes the competitive picture for business travelers depending on the direction of the trip.
All very interesting coments but the bottom line is that we are being screwed on how much we pay for the direct flight from RDU to London. In the end my friend flew to London via Boston for $650 return compared to the last few days price on the direct flight of $2260, even though half the seats on the direct RDU to LHR flight were empty - great for me as I stretched out on the 3 center aisle seats and had 5 hours sleep

On my return flight the person sitting next to me paid $550 return to travel from London to JFK via RDU including overnight at an RDU airport hotel and the 6am flight from RDU to JFK. Net effect is that American Airlines is encouraging passengers fly routes that require changes - don't they realise that increases their cost? they have to move bags twice instead of once etc and increase the chances of delays and other costs - seems crazy to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 08:36 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,703,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermat View Post
All very interesting coments but the bottom line is that we are being screwed on how much we pay for the direct flight from RDU to London. In the end my friend flew to London via Boston for $650 return compared to the last few days price on the direct flight of $2260, even though half the seats on the direct RDU to LHR flight were empty - great for me as I stretched out on the 3 center aisle seats and had 5 hours sleep

On my return flight the person sitting next to me paid $550 return to travel from London to JFK via RDU including overnight at an RDU airport hotel and the 6am flight from RDU to JFK. Net effect is that American Airlines is encouraging passengers fly routes that require changes - don't they realise that increases their cost? they have to move bags twice instead of once etc and increase the chances of delays and other costs - seems crazy to me.
Did that person get a refundable vs non-refundable ticket? Do you realize that it also depends on if someone made a reservation X amount of days in advance? Do you realize how many times a day I get a call to CHANGE that reservation? Although the seats might have been over half sold when the person paying more called initially to make the reservation, the next 20 calls I get is to change that to another day? Also what is found online sometimes will be cheaper than calling? Also there is a FUEL surcharge in London that we have to charge, and we just found out the computer was NOT charging this, and it is being fixed.

PS I am an American Airlines employee - and I thank everyone who flies AA on helping me feed my family and I do in turn contribute to the economy locally as well. Plus I probably get paid a lot less than most of you, and I could never afford a flight overseas on my salary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary