Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 06:42 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,031,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
I have to ask. Are CH/Carrboro schools experiencing any of this? Long bus rides? Redistricting? Losing tech funds? High teacher/student ratios? Etc.?
They are not, at least not that I have heard. Because the growth is extremely limited in the chapel hill carrboro area (there just are not many places to build, and the towns have been quite strict with new construction) the schools do not have the problems that wake county does. When I was in school there, there was only one high school (chapel hill high) now there are three, and the last two have happened in the past 5 years (east chapel hill, then last year carrboro high school). So they have been able to build new schools to accommodate students. They don't have a redistricting situation that I have heard of, simply because the growth is not as exponential as wake county. Plus, in chapel hill the school system is broken up into chapel hill carrboro city schools and orange county schools.........two different systems. Wake county is all one system, and think about how many towns that encompasses!

Leigh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 07:04 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,086,083 times
Thanks. One of the reasons I like the CH/Carrobro district so much is exactly that--they are their own district. The suburbs of Boston are like that: each town is its own district. At first I thought that was weird, coming from Fairfax Cty VA but I like it. The downside is that funds are limited but the upside is that you feel more than just a number and a warm body.

I have to hand it to Fairfax Cty though--talk about a large school district! We were only there for a year but things seemed to run more smoothly. I don't know if they are set up differently from WCPSS or if we were in an established area and therefore not subject to the issues of growth in outlying Fairfax Cty and beyond.

But things just seemed to work very smoothly there. My son got the mid-day bus to Kindergarten (10 min ride) and I picked him up after school since he was technically a "walker".

Old 09-14-2007, 01:21 AM

237 posts, read 915,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
Many schools have a 9th grade center. Wakefield’s is in a converted grocery store. I know that there are others in the county, but those are the two closest I’ve paid attention to.

Wake Forest’s was formally the Forest Pines elementary school (not just kindergarten) last year, before they opened up the new building. Yes, those Wakefield parents complained to….filed lawsuits and everything. They loved the school (they are not run down trailers) and didn’t mind the location by the time the year was half over.

The 9th graders do everything they normally would at the main building (electives, sports etc etc), but are eased into the whole high school stress a bit easier. They are building a new high school in the area, (Heritage) but it won’t be ready until 2010 I believe.

You know…if you don’t like Wake Forest….why did you move here? The plans to convert that campus to a 9th grade center were well known last year…if not before. I spoke to my daughter about it and what she thought. Heck, the local paper has run all sorts of articles.
we rented our apt online from vegas the complex is nice but the homes in our price range 200k are all small on small lots and most like in cimmerron are poorly kept. We would not have picked the area if it was not for Caveness farms being ranked very high. We are moving to clayton and sending our son to west johnson high a huge brand new beautiful school, with know trailers and because it is 4 times the size of wake-forest high with around the same # of kids I do not think they will need to resort to that they accually planned ahead and built a school with the expectation of alot of people moving here. And I can get a much nicer , larger home on 1 acre plus for 200k that is why we moved here , so good luck but wake forest is not for us.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:47 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,158,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Thanks SF, I can count on you to make me laugh. As one of the guys in my office said today...it doesn't matter if you laugh AT me or laugh WITH me as long as you laugh!

Is "kvetching" the same as "venting"???

Vicki
Pretty much the same, complaining w/o any steps to solve the problem.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull136 View Post
we rented our apt online from vegas the complex is nice but the homes in our price range 200k are all small on small lots and most like in cimmerron are poorly kept. We would not have picked the area if it was not for Caveness farms being ranked very high. We are moving to clayton and sending our son to west johnson high a huge brand new beautiful school, with know trailers and because it is 4 times the size of wake-forest high with around the same # of kids I do not think they will need to resort to that they accually planned ahead and built a school with the expectation of alot of people moving here. And I can get a much nicer , larger home on 1 acre plus for 200k that is why we moved here , so good luck but wake forest is not for us.
Caveness is owned by the same company as my apt complex, Northridge Crossings. It's a nice community but, of course, has no control over schools.

Hopefully, more folks will stay away from Wake County so the greedy sons of seacooks that allowed uncontrolled growth will be hit in their wallets.

WCPSS used to be really first class.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:50 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,665,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bull136 View Post
Just wait a few years...Clayton is going to ahve the same issue...but more power to you. Wake Forest needs people that are part of the solution anyway.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:53 AM

Yep.

I remember the several mayors griping about year-round school assignments for their towns.

And just what did they do to control growth? Nothing, they encouraged it out of greed.

Argument was that growth would go elsewhere if the towns discouraged it.

Is that a bad outcome?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary