Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2020, 06:05 PM

781 posts, read 743,426 times

Advertisements

Nope! On my way to NC, I also lived in some expensive west coast cities and south of here. It's been a good fit for us and budget friendly. Not cheap in Raleigh, but not ungodly expensive either. My only gripe is that about 3 months of summer are miserable, but the other 9 months are great! The hot weather is my biggest complaint, otherwise I'm content.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2020, 07:02 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,068,264 times
Honestly, I think you could do much worse than Triangle summer heat and humidity. It’s not that bad! Is it a lot worse than the Northeast? I’m sure. It’s also a lot better than Birmingham, Charleston, Tampa, Jacksonville, Memphis, New Orleans, etc. Moving from St. Louis, it’s been a slight break for us. We left essentially the same (or slightly worse) summers for Fall and Winter that is ideal. Seriously...Fall in the Triangle feels like cheating. Love it.

Old 10-26-2020, 02:09 PM

888 posts, read 804,898 times
I’m regretting them moving here but couldn’t find that thread

Old 10-26-2020, 03:59 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,868,871 times
Just search for CapitalBlvd. Or is this the new CapitalBlvd?

Old 10-26-2020, 05:33 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
I moved from SoCal, the land of “perfect weather”, and I love it here and enjoying the change of seasons. My only issue has been my sinuses are acting up a lot. But, I see more fires are exploding today in SoCal with 4% humidity, it’s dry as a bone with high winds (Santa Ana’s). Over 60,000 evacuated, homes lost. No thanks...I’ll take the rain and humidity any day.

Old 10-27-2020, 02:15 PM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andibo View Post
I've only been here a few months (since late August) and so far, the humidity has been so horribly intolerable that I'm having a hard time appreciating anything. Even when it's a perfect 72 degrees I start sweating after 5 minutes outside and after a rain, I feel like I've walked into a sauna. Does it ever get better? I don't mean the humidity, which I'm sure will only worsen over the years as global warming proceeds, I mean one's tolerance for the endless heat? Like, will I some day walk out into the 90&90 (90F, 90%) and say, "ah, what a lovely summer day, good time for a walk?"
If you want to acclimate to the heat, you will. I say that as an overweight person who moved from the midwest, that walks a lot outdoors, all summer, and does yardwork, fishes, etc...

Old 10-29-2020, 05:11 AM

55 posts, read 62,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andibo View Post
I've only been here a few months (since late August) and so far, the humidity has been so horribly intolerable that I'm having a hard time appreciating anything. Even when it's a perfect 72 degrees I start sweating after 5 minutes outside and after a rain, I feel like I've walked into a sauna. Does it ever get better? I don't mean the humidity, which I'm sure will only worsen over the years as global warming proceeds, I mean one's tolerance for the endless heat? Like, will I some day walk out into the 90&90 (90F, 90%) and say, "ah, what a lovely summer day, good time for a walk?"
I agree with this 100%. In general I love the triangle area, but the heat and humidity is so bad from May through October that I'm really not sure if this place is a good long term fit for me. Even now, in late October, we are getting days in the low-mid 80s with high humidity (dewpoints at 70+). Last year we had a day or two that hit 99 degrees in early October! Anybody considering moving here from a place that has shorter, milder, and less humid summers should really come visit in July or August and see if they really want to deal with the heat and humidity for as long as we do.

I suppose maybe its a "pick your poison" scenario. Up north I have to stay inside from November through March because its so cold. Down south I have to stay inside from May through September because it's so hot and humid. Hah.

Old 10-29-2020, 06:36 AM

34 posts, read 57,524 times
I moved to Raleigh from CT and stayed about 10 years. About a year in, I realized it just wasn't a good fit for me. But I stayed anyway, made the most of it, made some friends, met my husband and had some kids, all the while saving money here and there to one day be able to move. We did eventually move north, and couldn't be happier. My husband is an NC native and doesn't miss a thing about it. We have no desire to ever live in the south again.

Old 10-29-2020, 06:44 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizharlow View Post
I moved to Raleigh from CT and stayed about 10 years. About a year in, I realized it just wasn't a good fit for me. But I stayed anyway, made the most of it, made some friends, met my husband and had some kids, all the while saving money here and there to one day be able to move. We did eventually move north, and couldn't be happier. My husband is an NC native and doesn't miss a thing about it. We have no desire to ever live in the south again.
It might be helpful if you explain why it wasn't a good fit, and why the north was.

Old 10-29-2020, 09:37 AM

119 posts, read 81,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizharlow View Post
Good for you. I wouldn’t live up north if you gave me a million dollar home and paid my taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary