Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 04:16 PM

266 posts, read 1,052,681 times

Advertisements

Imagine my surprise when I went online this evening to my Road Runner home page and a maximum security alert popped up. My spyware program let me know that Time Warner has purchased a Spyware progam, apparently from Google, as indicated from the URL and is using it here. Has anyone else experienced this? This company has a monopoly here at the pleasure of the Triangle local governments and this is a travesty, if not downright illegal. Please let me know if you have seen this as I am planning on calling local officials, and possibly every media outlet in the area, about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 04:26 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,734,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by House Lady View Post
Imagine my surprise when I went online this evening to my Road Runner home page and a maximum security alert popped up. My spyware program let me know that Time Warner has purchased a Spyware progam, apparently from Google, as indicated from the URL and is using it here. Has anyone else experienced this? This company has a monopoly here at the pleasure of the Triangle local governments and this is a travesty, if not downright illegal. Please let me know if you have seen this as I am planning on calling local officials, and possibly every media outlet in the area, about this.
Please provide the name of the security program you're using, the version of your operating system, and what the warning actually says. Without these details it's really hard to evaluate the scope of this alleged breach of trust. (Moreover, I'm not sure what you mean by "using it here".)

Also, if I'm not mistaken many folks in the triangle can get high speed DSL through AT&T, so it's not quite a monopoly.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:51 PM

Default Time Warner...

is not the only high speed provider, but they are the only cable company and are operting by virtue of an exclusive deal with the local governments or would not have been be in this market in the first place. Otherwise it would not be illegal or even unusual to see this and I would not be so irate.
Trend Micro PC Cillin
OS - XP
http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/p...va=true&dtd=31

Old 01-08-2009, 04:59 PM

519 posts, read 982,217 times
I am confused by this as well. Your spyware program told you that TWC had purchased its own spyware? How would your program know the dealings of another organization? Could it have possibly been an alert from TWC making sure your spyware was turned on?

And if I am not mistaken, spyware is to protect you from the spying of another entity. For TWC to actually "spy" on consumers, they would need a Trojan horse or worm embedded in an email or download and then you would 'activate" it by opening the email or download.

I just went onto Road Runner's home page and I do not see what you are referring to. TWC has a spyware program they are offering to its consumers.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
is not the only high speed provider, but they are the only cable company and are operting by virtue of an exclusive deal with the local governments or would not have been be in this market in the first place. Otherwise it would not be illegal or even unusual to see this and I would not be so irate.
Trend Micro PC Cillin
OS - XP
That link just led me to a blank page with a simple ad. Also, while they used to be the only cable company, ATT's U-Verse has now opened up in this market. For it truly to be a monopoly, this would have never started to take place. Even Verizon is looking to start FOIS in this area.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:17 PM

Default You are getting off tangent...

with the monopoly thing. That is only to say why the company is licensed by the grace of local government.
Look through the URL. You will see the reference to Google ads and News14. It isn't a link to anything, just a tag.
My spyware program does indeed alert me to sites which have specific spyware attached to them. You can look up the function of spyware online so that you can understand it better, but, believe me, it does not protect you and is at best a problem in that it slows you down considerably. The "spyware programs" you may see advertised to purchase are to ALERT you to the presence of spyware like the one I have. Companies buy and insert these programs to see what you are looking at online and God knows what else. Try An explanation of Spyware (http://baunji.com/default.aspx - broken link) for an explanation. This IS a link.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
with the monopoly thing. That is only to say why the company is licensed by the grace of local government.
Look through the URL. You will see the reference to Google ads and News14. It isn't a link to anything, just a tag.
My spyware program does indeed alert me to sites which have specific spyware attached to them. You can look up the function of spyware online so that you can understand it better, but, believe me, it does not protect you and is at best a problem in that it slows you down considerably. The "spyware programs" you may see advertised to purchase are to ALERT you to the presence of spyware like the one I have. Companies buy and insert these programs to see what you are looking at online and God knows what else. Try An explanation of Spyware (http://baunji.com/default.aspx - broken link) for an explanation. This IS a link.
I apologize for getting off onto a tangent, but you raised two separate points: spyware on Road Runner and TWC's suppossed monopoly on cable services in the Triangle.

I know the function of spyware. I don't need a link. (And I don't like being talked down to like I know nothing about computers and technology). But thank you for sending me to a site discussing programs for Windows in 2005. This is even more fascinating since there are much more reputable spyware programs than Windows Defender. Of course, you could just use a Mac like I do. My fiancee has a PC with spyware and her computer and connection is quite fast.

Also, a firewall is more important that spyware. She and I are on the same network with the firewall activated and our password is WPA-Personal protected. I don't care what some company suppossedly has, there is no way they are getting through.

But please, keep going with the conspiracies. I'm going to make some hats out of aluminum foil.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:10 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,734,102 times
Quote:
Trend Micro PC Cillin
OS - XP
That's an... advertisement. Served up by Google/Doubleclick. I'm not sure I see the spyware that's allegedly been installed on your system.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:13 PM

746 posts, read 2,248,112 times
http://diver.net/elaine/uploads/b/Chamber/0406/030.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-08-2009, 07:17 PM

Default Is there anyone out there...

with a good spyware alert program (Spysweeper, etc.) that is willing go to News14.com and see if you get an alert if you have your settings to give alerts? Thanks in advance.
Geoff2v, you have only a small part of the line. It is definitely not an advertisement. It was part of an alert from Trend Micro, which labeled it as dangerous spyware from the News14.com site. This alert arrived the moment I opened the home page. It could not even been caused by one of their advertisers as I did not open any other link or page. Also, I just scanned and found a number of cookies from the spyware. I must keep my security on medium to low in order to be able to use some sites I need for my work, so I have the PC Cillin to alert me rather than block all cookies.
Is there anyone out there with a good spyware alert program (Spysweeper, etc.) that is willing go to News14.com and see if you get an alert? (especially if you have medium to low security) Thanks in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary