Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 09:03 AM

65 posts, read 266,922 times

Advertisements

Hi this is something that has been bothering me for some time. Why when I put my trash out every Friday do I see that very few of my neighbors bother with recycling?

My little recycling container is always full to capacity and often not big enough. My neighbors have on average very few items in the container if any. Should I even bother?

I also have noticed driving around our area that the more affluent and or liberal (I can tell by the number of Obama stickers) an area is the less likely that there will be any recycling put out. I bring up the liberal thing only because this is one small part where we can help bring about change and do our share!!?????

Talk is cheap!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 09:07 AM

43,295 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A10ACE View Post
Hi this is something that has been bothering me for some time. Why when I put my trash out every Friday do I see that very few of my neighbors bother with recycling?

My little recycling container is always full to capacity and often not big enough. My neighbors have on average very few items in the container if any. Should I even bother?

I also have noticed driving around our area that the more affluent and or liberal (I can tell by the number of Obama stickers) an area is the less likely that there will be any recycling put out. I bring up the liberal thing only because this is one small part where we can help bring about change and do our share!!?????

Talk is cheap!
Maybe... They really really care, and are eating their recyclables?
Other than that theory, hmmmm.

I see all my neighbors piling recyclables out at the curb every week, regardless of political views.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:10 AM

65 posts, read 266,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Maybe... They really really care, and are eating their recyclables?
Other than that theory, hmmmm.

I see all my neighbors piling recyclables out at the curb every week, regardless of political views.
LOL ,

lets drop the political thing quickly before it overtakes the thread. It was only my small observation, we all should care.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:13 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,734,102 times
I see everyone putting out their recyclables every week in my neighborhood. Pretty liberal area too.

I'm actually astounded that, in a week, I've got two bulging full recycling bins plus some corrugated cardboard on the side, and our trash output from a family of five (including lots-'o'-diapers) is just two large black bags full. (That doesn't count the shredded stuff or additional cardboard that I take separately to the recycling station.) We don't even come close to filling our Chapel Hill-standard issue 68-gallon roll cart.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:17 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,060,029 times
A10ACE, where do you live? Your experience is very different from mine, so I'm curious.

Recycling is really popular in my neighborhood. I haven't consciously checked the recycling habits of all of my neighbors, but I'm sure a high majority of homes put recycling bins on the curb on trash day. A number of us put out more than one bin of recycling because the regular bin is just too small to hold it all.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:19 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Almost everyone in my neighborhood in N. Raleigh recycles. I'm bummed becuase last week my green recycling tub was not on the curb when I got home from work. I guess somebody has "recycled" my recycling bin.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:19 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,842,401 times
We were finally upgraded a couple months ago to the full size roll-out containers....love them!

Old 02-13-2009, 09:21 AM

460 posts, read 1,274,502 times
same here...almost everybody in my neighborhood recycles. They might not put theirs out every week b/c it isn't full...but they do recycle.
Voting for Obama doesn't make you a liberal...or a recycler.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:28 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,645,432 times
This is something that also has bugged the heck out of me since moving to this area. I am accustomed to recycling everything possible that the city program will take.

The first apartment complex that I lived in here in NW Raleigh only had a cardboard recycling container for the entire complex. I would collect my glass, plastic, and aluminum and haul it to a neighboring condo complex in order to recycle those items. Neither complex had a receptacle for newspapers. It was a pain, especially considering that multi-family complexes can supposedly get mass recycling receptacles at no cost from the city. Not to mention, I was paying for recycling service in my water/sewer/trash bills!

Now that I don't live in a commercial complex, each apartment has its own curbside bin. My boyfriend and I are the only ones that put our full bin out since we've lived there. A few of the businesses on my street put their bins out, but the neighbors in our building and the house next door never do.

It also frustrates me that the local recycling program only accepts plastic "bottles" and won't take other types of plastics, such as food tubs or yogurt cups. Not to mention, a monthly used battery pick-up with the normal recyclables would make proper battery disposal so much easier.

I understand that there are costs associated with recycling different types of items, but I think the cost benefit would improve if more people would participate in recycling. I guess the city needs to work on this before they can accept more types of recyclables.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:45 AM

190 posts, read 1,075,723 times
Sad to say, but I wish we had bigger containers.... Wish I generated less garbage! I do find that all my neighbors seem to put their bins out on Friday though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary