Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 10:39 AM

174 posts, read 570,255 times

Advertisements

I second Danadana. Moderator cut: link not permitted

Also, a reminder that trianglegrrrls.com has a good listing of lesbian events, happenings and discussions.

Last edited by autumngal; 12-27-2007 at 05:49 AM.. Reason: no links that contain blogs or forums please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 11:47 AM

550 posts, read 1,486,668 times
Not only am I straight, but I'm also oblivious. However, even I noticed a substantial lesbian presence in Carrboro when I lived there. Particularly at the Spotted Dog, which is a pretty small restaurant/bar. Not much of a meet market, but if you're looking for a place to have a drink or a meal with your SO where you won't be stared at, I recommend that place. Haven't been back there in ~2 years though, so it might've changed.

Old 12-26-2007, 01:01 PM

1,515 posts, read 6,981,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starla View Post
Not only am I straight, but I'm also oblivious. However, even I noticed a substantial lesbian presence in Carrboro when I lived there. Particularly at the Spotted Dog, which is a pretty small restaurant/bar. Not much of a meet market, but if you're looking for a place to have a drink or a meal with your SO where you won't be stared at, I recommend that place. Haven't been back there in ~2 years though, so it might've changed.

Spotted Dog is lesbian owned & operated, plus the food is really good. They have an excellent selection of vegetarian food.

Its a great mix of everyone, I highly recommend the burgers.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:35 PM

2 posts, read 65,638 times
Default club blue steel

hey i looked into Club Blue Steel for new years and its a private club and you need to be 21 to get a membership..unfortunately im only 20. have any other suggestions?

Old 12-27-2007, 05:18 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,981,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert831 View Post
hey i looked into Club Blue Steel for new years and its a private club and you need to be 21 to get a membership..unfortunately im only 20. have any other suggestions?
Visions in Durham. Its 18 and up.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:38 AM

3 posts, read 18,895 times
Default Durham Lesbian Hang outs...

Ditto. I am mid 30's, and would like to meet some other lesbians in the North Durham area. I do like to hang out and have drinks with friends, but am a little hesitant to go to bars looking to meet people. Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 12-28-2007, 09:51 AM

319 posts, read 1,478,472 times
For Club Blue Steel, you can pay the non member rate. I am not a member. It is $20 to get in on new Years Eve if you are under 21. You will find that all the clubs in town list that they are private clubs. It has something to do with liquor laws. Feel free to call the clubs and ask questions. They are really good about answering any questions.

Emmemac8- I live in North Durham as well. My single friend says Sirens is a good place to hang out to meet other ladies. It is right off of Broad Street across from the Family Dollar Store. I think alot of women like to go there before Blue Steel on Saturday nights.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:16 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
As other are saying, Durham is the core of womyn for this area, but that's not to say you won't find plenty of company in any other Triangle city.

Once here, to break into a "community", go by White Rabbit Books & Things, the GLBT "everything store" and ask for suggestions. Pick up Q-Notes, NC's gay newspaper, although it's mostly Charlotte-based (the Triangle's paper The Front Page folded a couple of years ago). Go to http://www.trianglelocalevents.com/, and get on their email list--they send out a weekly newsletter of GLBT goings-on in the area. Hear the Common Woman Chorus sing, and join them if music is your thing. join one of the local GLBT Bowling of softball leagues, or attend one of the MANY gay-friendly churches in the area (including a couple of BAPTIST ones, Pullen Memorial in Raleigh and Binkley in Chapel Hill--others known to be especailly GLB-friendly are Calvary Methodist in Durham, Eno River Unitarian Universalist in Durham, Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Raleigh, and of course two Metropolitan Community Churches: St John's in Raleigh and Imami in Durham. I've left several off the list, I'm sure).

There really is QUITE a community here, it just takes a little tapping into. don't miss the Gay/Lesbian Film Festival at the Carolina Theatre of Durham every August or NC Pride the last week of September--both of these events have booths from nearly every GLBT organization in the area, a great way to find out info about them all (though not so helpful advice at THIS time of year!)

There is also a monthly "gay/lesbian Happy Hour" email list for each city of the Triangle--I can get you on the Raleigh one but don't know the specifics of the Durham or Chapel Hill ones. Basically, one bar or restaurant every month is "taken over" (the organizers let the restaurant know in advance) by a group of some 200 GLBT folks for a very merry time.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:39 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
I think you got those two backwards...CC was around since the 70s, Legends since the early 90s (but is now the larger one).
I should say so! The CC is celebrating its 33rd year or so, while Legends was built in 1991. That may be "forever" by many standards, but the CC is a "generation" older!

Old 01-12-2008, 09:33 AM

3 posts, read 18,895 times
Default Lesbian Hang Outs

Thanks so much, you all are a great help and resource. Thanks for your input, and I'll try to give some post scoping feedback!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary