Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2009, 07:51 PM

842 posts, read 2,588,457 times

Advertisements

Well,

My dear wife is a bit disappointed that she did not get into the UNC School of Nursing . She was pre-screened and had all the necessary pre-requisite from New York. However, she waited almost one year only to hear the same crap she did in New York .... more applicants than available space to pursue something she wants very much to do. What angers me about this is how they went about stretching the time out before telling her that she was not accepted, thus wasting valuable time that could be at least spent searching for an alternative . Duke also has an excellent program, but that is financially out of reach. Are there any other accredited nursing schools in the Durham/Chapel Hill area or even Raleigh for that matter?

NC Central wants her to just enroll in anything before even evaluating her credits in order to make a decision, and even at that point there are no guarantees that they will even accept her into the program, which would be a waste of time and money. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 10:57 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
Did you try Watts School of Nursing at Durham Regional?

When I went there for an overview with my daughter, they had a program where, if you worked for a Duke-affiliated hospital for a certain period of time, you'd get your tuition back in increments. Sounded like a good deal.

Did you try Wake Tech? Wake Tech Nursing I think they had a waiting list.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Did you try Watts School of Nursing at Durham Regional?

When I went there for an overview with my daughter, they had a program where, if you worked for a Duke-affiliated hospital for a certain period of time, you'd get your tuition back in increments. Sounded like a good deal.

Did you try Wake Tech? Wake Tech Nursing I think they had a waiting list.
Watts is Duke's nursing school and since my wife does not nor ever did work for Duke or any of its affiliates, this would be a dead end. Thanks for your suggestion anyway .

Old 04-03-2009, 06:09 AM

I don't understand "...does not nor ever did work for Duke..." You don't need to have worked previously for Duke to get into Watts. My daughter was accepted (but chose to do something else).

Anyone can get in. Then you choose to pay, graduate, and leave to go wherever you wanted (so it's not a dead end). Or you put in the time at affiliated hospitals and get your tuition back. I don't understand why working at Duke in the past would make any difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerican View Post
Watts is Duke's nursing school and since my wife does not nor ever did work for Duke or any of its affiliates, this would be a dead end. Thanks for your suggestion anyway .

Old 04-03-2009, 06:12 AM

190 posts, read 1,075,723 times
There are community colleges in Durham (Durham Tech), Granville, Wake, and Johnston, just off the top of my head... I know there are others, and UNC has satellite campuses that might have different requirements... Hope this helps, tell her to hang in there and GOOD LUCK!! It is not an easy profession, but it is a great one!

Old 04-03-2009, 06:50 AM

Quote:
I don't understand "...does not nor ever did work for Duke..." You don't need to have worked previously for Duke to get into Watts. My daughter was accepted (but chose to do something else).

Anyone can get in. Then you choose to pay, graduate, and leave to go wherever you wanted (so it's not a dead end). Or you put in the time at affiliated hospitals and get your tuition back. I don't understand why working at Duke in the past would make any difference.
Lovebrentwood,

My apologies, I misunderstood your quote stating "they had a program where, if you worked for a Duke-affiliated hospital for a certain period of time, you'd get your tuition back in increments" . The reason my wife did not apply to Watts is because they are very expensive. However, if there is a less expensive way of attending I would appreciate some information on how to proceed offline. Thanks Lovebrentwood .

Old 04-03-2009, 10:26 AM

Sorry I wasn't clear. Please contact Watts Nursing School in Durham for more info. They'll be able to tell you everything; ask about tuition reimbursement programs for students who graduate and who then work for Duke-affiliated hospitals. I don't have any other info. (My daughter now attends dental hygienist school in NYC so she can work with her dentist-to-be fiance.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerican View Post
Lovebrentwood,

My apologies, I misunderstood your quote stating "they had a program where, if you worked for a Duke-affiliated hospital for a certain period of time, you'd get your tuition back in increments" . The reason my wife did not apply to Watts is because they are very expensive. However, if there is a less expensive way of attending I would appreciate some information on how to proceed offline. Thanks Lovebrentwood .

Old 04-03-2009, 10:35 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,344,148 times
Quote:
Sorry I wasn't clear. Please contact Watts Nursing School in Durham for more info. They'll be able to tell you everything; ask about tuition reimbursement programs for students who graduate and who then work for Duke-affiliated hospitals. I don't have any other info. (My daughter now attends dental hygienist school in NYC so she can work with her dentist-to-be fiance.)
Oooh, good idea! My friend is a dental hygienist in Durham and started at $32 an hour. Not bad for a 2 year degree. Plus your daughter's boss will be her husband! Nice

Jamerican, I would also check out the community colleges. Very affordable, but I believe there would be a wait pretty much anywhere you go.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:51 AM

5 posts, read 9,621 times
I have some college credits, but along the way i got a felony for trying to get a car and the check was returned do you know if i can still get into a program with that.I know that the clinicals will be a proble and not the school please let me know before I enroll

Old 09-12-2010, 09:59 PM

932 posts, read 3,097,981 times
Wake Tech and Johnson County don't operate on a wait list. They work off of a point system. You get a certain number of points based off of the base courses...PSY 150, ENG 111 and 112, and Anatomy. You get extra points for being a recent high school grad, or having another degree. The students with the highest points get into the program. I was told that people rarely get into the Nursing and Radiography programs with less than a 4.0 in those classes, but it's possible. JCCC students are required to take the TEAS test and points from that are also figured in. Wake Tech students will have to take that in another year or so. The health care programs are very competitive in the community colleges.

Dottie79 -- You have to pass a background check before entering clinical at any of the local hospitals. They won't tell you either way. You have to pay for the background check, and wait for the result of the check. They can't or won't let you know before you enroll. This is what we were told at an info session for the Radiography program at Wake Tech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary