Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 03:17 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't give it a second thought
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 03:20 PM

206 posts, read 596,655 times
I saw a Mini cooper the other day with the Union Jack painted on the roof. My fiancée remarked that it looked like Austin Powers' car. We laughed. End of story.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:20 PM

502 posts, read 1,391,525 times
Lovebrentwood, you most likely go back further than you think in England, it just needs to be discovered :-)

Old 04-07-2009, 03:24 PM

185 posts, read 575,550 times
Most Scots and Welsh have no love of the Union Jack and what is stands for, hence their own Parliaments and Nationalist parties. They would much prefer the Eng-er-lish stuck to St Georges flag. The empire is finished.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:27 PM

502 posts, read 1,391,525 times
The exciting thing about moving to NC is the family migrated down from the Jamestown area to NC; the farmhouse from the 1700s still stands there and was restored. It's thought to be the second oldest house in Gates County built c. 1731... somewhere on Highway 13. So in a sense, I'm not totally going to be a transplant, but a "re-plant"

Old 04-07-2009, 06:36 PM

26 posts, read 79,082 times
Like so many posters, I wouldn't think anybody would be offended either.

However, I am just a bit curious: is the 1400 English pedigree a rare thing in the US? Mayflower came from England after all, though the No. 1 heritage seems to be German. Once you know you are English your family history must be able to be traced back to the Henry VII era (and earlier), as a family can't be born out of nothing in the 1700s ...

Old 04-07-2009, 09:42 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
Of course. Everyone goes back. Everyone goes waaaaaaay back. All races to Africa, I believe. (According to a PBS documentary about DNA and the origins of everyone.)

Too bad the paperwork doesn't go back that far. One descendant who did searching suggested we were previously Vikings. Must be why I need to live near water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itscolduphere View Post
Lovebrentwood, you most likely go back further than you think in England, it just needs to be discovered :-)

Old 04-08-2009, 01:39 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,918,830 times
I certainly don't find it offensive . . . I do find nationalism a bit silly though, considering that it was completely random as to where we happened to be born on this earth.

Putting a sticker on one's car is harmless enough, but nationalism as a concept seems a bit primitive to me.

No offense intended of course.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:43 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,163,520 times
Quote:
I guess I was thinking that some Scottish or Welsh may think, "Well what's that, then? Why not a Union Jack"? Don't know... you never know... so I asked.
Well then, you'd better avoid driving through the Welsh and Scottish ghetto parts of town. I hear they wield haggis like a baseball bat and will scald you with cawl!

Old 04-08-2009, 08:05 PM

715 posts, read 1,038,510 times
Quote:
Hi
Well, I'm moving to the Triangle soon, and have an unusual question:
About a year ago, I stumbled upon my complete paternal English heritage straight back to the 1400's. This bowled me over and my husband got me a little St. George's Cross flag decal for the back window of my car. Not because I think my heritage is better than anyone else's, but just because I had no idea I was English, let alone had this pedigree back to the reign of Henry VII. So it felt nice to put the little flag on my back window corner...

It didn't occur to me until lately, as we're getting ready to come down to the Triangle, that since it's such a diverse area, maybe some would find this sticker offensive? I hope not, but I thought I would ask some of you locals if this would raise eyebrows. I haven't had any negative reactions to it up here in CT. Do many people have little country stickers on their cars there?
Would people think it was a political take-it-personal sort of thing?

(Being a Yankee transplant will probably be negative enough? )

I've seen these flag decals in the rear windows of several cars around the Triangle, now that you mention it (I didn't pay them much thought).
I don't think most people would see a problem with them.
Go for it. And congratulations on learning about your English heritage!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary