Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 05:00 PM

17 posts, read 26,943 times

Advertisements

I would like to move to the Triangle region for many regions. But, to be completely honest, I am seriously put off by my perceived feelings of residents' enthusiasm/hysteria for sports and religion. Seriously, would I have trouble making friends there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 05:08 PM

11 posts, read 30,407 times
There are all kinds for all kinds no matter where you go... I'm not really into those (mostly for lack of available time perhaps) and have made some great friends here. Have you ever checked out Meetup.com? There are some great groups on there for everyone.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:09 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
It would be easier if you went to church or watched sports. But it's not impossible otherwise.

We have survived.

However, we are not "seriously put off" by anyone's love of religion or sports. If it bothers you that others find joy in those things, perhaps you would not be happy here.

But it IS a large region with lots of people, many from other places. I'm sure you could adjust and find people who share your interests.

(Just have a job first, of course.)

Old 04-14-2009, 05:13 PM

646 posts, read 2,050,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaireSD View Post
I would like to move to the Triangle region for many regions. But, to be completely honest, I am seriously put off by my perceived feelings of residents' enthusiasm/hysteria for sports and religion. Seriously, would I have trouble making friends there?
You'll make friends if you are worth having as a friend.

Yes, sports (especially college) can be common topic, but it's not like the only thing people talk about. If you aren't interested, don't get snotty, just tell them you don't follow sports and find a common interest.

Yes, you are going to come across religion as well...but it's not as bad as it used to be, and it's an easy enough one to side step as well.

Visit the area and find out if it's for you, but letting your stereotypes get in the way isn't good for anyone.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:19 PM

4,168 posts, read 4,881,444 times
Given all the local colleges in this area, sports is a big deal to many people here, but I would not consider it overwhelming as long as you don't live in or near Chapel Hill where most of the celebrations and mayhem takes place on Franklin Street.

Not everyone who lives here is a die hard sports fan or religious fanatic, so your concerns are mostly non-issues except during peak playoff seasons like March Madness.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:19 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,397,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
(Just have a job first, of course.)
Good Lord this statement is way past getting old. The question was about sports and religion. It has nothing to do with getting a job first. It's like the movie groundhog day, over and over and over and over with the same line.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:22 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,159,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaireSD View Post
i don't give a rat's ass about either, and i'm moving down. if people don't like that, i guess i'll be lonely. oh well.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:44 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,308,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
Good Lord this statement is way past getting old. The question was about sports and religion. It has nothing to do with getting a job first. It's like the movie groundhog day, over and over and over and over with the same line.
This is the same way many people here feel about the endless threads carrying on ad nauseum about how "perfect" Cary is, yet more are created every day.

It's a valid warning to advise people to have a job before they move - not just here, but anywhere. The job market in my field was going strong when I moved here seven years ago. Just after I got here, the bottom fell out, and most jobs in my field were being outsourced overseas. It took me six months to get a contract job, and much longer to find a permanent position - and that required a career change. Fortunately, my husband already lived here, and was able to support both of us until I found a job.

As far as the OP, I think you'll be fine. I don't care much for sports (except hockey, and I don't follow it very much), and I'm most definitely not religious. I have no collegiate affiliation whatsoever. It hasn't prevented me from making friends; in fact, I've made several who feel the same way I do on these subjects. We're also friends with our neighbors who happen to be religious, but they've never asked about our religion (or lack thereof), and we respect their right to believe what they want. It hasn't gotten in the way of our friendship; we've bonded over gardening and dogs.

I second the recommendation for meetups.com. My 75 year-old mother moved here three years ago, and has made lots of friends through that site. She has a more active social life than I do.

Last edited by Claire_F; 04-14-2009 at 06:56 PM..

Old 04-14-2009, 06:58 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
You'll be fine here. I'm also not a "fan" of either and have plenty of friends! We do go to occassional Canes games, but that's usually because we got free tickets, LOL.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:03 PM

850 posts, read 4,741,689 times
As other posters say, you can certainly find a great social life around those things, but what concerns me as someone else said is your mention of being "strongly put off" by them. Even though you're not interested in taking part in them, you will still hear about them and it will be a part of life around you. If you already have such strong feelings and aren't open to being around it (not necessarily a part of it), this may not be the right place for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary