Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 02:02 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,213,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson919 View Post
In fact, the population of NJ increased by 252,000 people between 2000 and 2008. Of course, the population of NC increased by 1.1 million during that same period. But the land mass of NC is seven times larger than NJ. So if land area is taken into consideration, NJ is actually growing faster than NC.

As for taxes, yes property taxes are high there. But state income tax is much lower in NJ than NC. An individual with $75,000 taxable income in NJ pays about $2,500 in state income tax. That some person pays about $5,200 state income tax in NC.

Plus the incidence of violent crime is lower in NJ than it is in NC.
Crime Rate by State, 2006 — Infoplease.com

And they have lower infant mortality in NJ.
State Rankings--Statistical Abstract of the United States--Infant Mortality Rate (http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/ranks/rank17.html - broken link)

And they have higher public high school graduation rates there.
HigherEdInfo.org: Public High School Graduation Rates

And lower divorce rates.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Don't get me wrong, I love it here in the Triangle. But all this baseless criticism of NJ gets tiresome after awhile.
Bravo.

NC is nice in various ways but no cure-all/panacea, and there are a lot of great places up North. In fact a friend of mine and his wife just moved back - didn't hate it here but wasn't their style, and they had more/better job prospects there.

Last edited by Yac; 05-05-2009 at 05:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 02:08 PM

315 posts, read 1,256,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
That must be a horrible environment, I agree! The question is, whether all the folks moving from NJ are raising their kids the "New Jersey" way (as you define it above) or the Southern way...

Not all parents from NJ are like the ones Campbell21 is talking about. CB21 is from North Jersey. Central and South Jersey is much different than North Jersey.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:26 PM

74 posts, read 219,411 times
No, not all NJ parents raise their kids the same way but, I have always noticed that traveling out of NJ the kids do seem to be more polite and, the southerns more than anywhere else.

I'll be arriving in a week (from NJ) and am sure hoping for more of the "Southern Ways" when I get there.

Last week when I came down for a few days I immediately noticed the 'kinder, gentler folks' and did everything I could to act the same way. I know I'll always be a visitor to the south and never a Southerner so, I'm gonna try and be a good visitor while I'm here.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:13 PM

103 posts, read 211,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manirban View Post
Sometime, just gotta make the move and take the risk... things have a way of working out.. best of luck to you.
thanks very much!! I appreciate your feedback! I think that taking the risk is the scariest part.

Quote:
In fact, the population of NJ increased by 252,000 people between 2000 and 2008. Of course, the population of NC increased by 1.1 million during that same period. But the land mass of NC is seven times larger than NJ. So if land area is taken into consideration, NJ is actually growing faster than NC.

As for taxes, yes property taxes are high there. But state income tax is much lower in NJ than NC. An individual with $75,000 taxable income in NJ pays about $2,500 in state income tax. That some person pays about $5,200 state income tax in NC.

State Rankings--Statistical Abstract of the United States--Infant Mortality Rate (http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/ranks/rank17.html - broken link)

And lower divorce rates.

Don't get me wrong, I love it here in the Triangle. But all this baseless criticism of NJ gets tiresome after awhile.
I certainly appreciate the reality check... Although I wouldn't call my criticism of NJ baseless. My criticisms, or frustrations or whatever, are based on my experiences. On the whole, I LIKE New Jersey. I like the culture and the food and general rush of life that exists here every day. There are things I do NOT like. The expense of BREATHING here being one of them. I'm not wanting to leave NJ b/c of crime rates or divorce rates or infant mortality rates. I was born and raised in Houston, Texas. There are parts of Houston that would make New Jersey's worst areas look like a walk in the park. Heading to the South does not mean less crime. I never thought it did.

I want to move b/c there isn't enough space to spread out here. Houses are smack on top of each other. Houses with any decent space or yard usually start in the 700K range. I want my future children to be raised in a house, with a yard. In North Carolina we could afford a lovely house, with plenty of land in a very nice neighborhood. In New Jersey, our Townhouse was purchased for $450K. We look at a parking lot out our back window. It's just outrageously expensive to live here. Staying here will not allow me to raise my child in the manner I want to see her/him raised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave in jersey View Post
Not all parents from NJ are like the ones Campbell21 is talking about. CB21 is from North Jersey. Central and South Jersey is much different than North Jersey.
This is VERY true. Kids I've seen in North jersey are MUCH more rambunctious and rowdy than kids in Central and Southern Jersey. I think a lot of it is cultural. It's just a different way of seeing behaviors. I was working with a child who was having frequent outbursts at school, starting fights etc. When I had a meeting with his parents his dad said "He's a boy...what do you want? For him to be a wimp? I mean he knows not to hit girls, but if she had it coming..." I had to laugh. It's a different way of life. I was raised so differently. Night and day.

I appreciate everyone's feedback. Moving to a new state is always a massive decision. I am a fan of researching as much as possible so I can make the most educated decision.

Last edited by Yac; 05-05-2009 at 05:42 AM..

Old 04-21-2009, 06:25 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Quote:

And lower divorce rates.

Not baseless.

NJ was awful when we were at Camp Kilmer in 1985.

Horrible traffic. Rude tailgaters.

Ridiculous rents.

Air pollution in Linden where I worked that would make you gag.

Chemical waste bubbling up in parks.

Leaving was like getting relief after years of constipation.

Last edited by Yac; 05-05-2009 at 05:41 AM..

Old 04-21-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Not baseless.

NJ was awful when we were at Camp Kilmer in 1985.

Horrible traffic. Rude tailgaters.

Ridiculous rents.

Air pollution in Linden where I worked that would make you gag.

Chemical waste bubbling up in parks.

Leaving was like getting relief after years of constipation.
LOL...sounds like Linden!!!

Old 04-21-2009, 07:08 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
I'm from monmouth county NJ. I love NJ but I also love living in Raleigh very much. Come for a visit and see if the area suits you. IMHO it really needs to be about more than just cost of living savings. That will only get you so far. You need to want to be in the Triangle, not just "out of NJ". Good Luck.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:07 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,140 times
OP, I have not been to NJ in many, many years thus I can not compare the area to NJ. But I did find the manners of children and even McDonald drive thru workers here in NC to be very refreshing. We moved from Portland, OR which generally on a national level is considered to be polite... people let you in on the hwy for instance in Portland. But I found here a lot more pleases, thank yous, hellos from strangers, and well, mannered children, from both locals and transplants. Now well mannered children do not mean they all are that way all the time, nor does it mean mannered children always behave well. My children are well mannered but they still have their moments. I have met plenty of transplanted parents whose children use good manners. And I've met plenty of Southern born & bred kids who could use some manners. But generally speaking I think kids are well mannered here.... maybe it's because their parents are less stressed. (Just a guess.)

I have found drivers more aggressive here (esp. Cary) than Portland. But I imagine from what I've heard this will be a walk in the park compared to No. NJ.

Come for a visit... bring your hubby. But don't come in the middle of the summer when it's so hot. Good luck.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:12 AM

56 posts, read 209,889 times
Parents relocated to Cary from Portland a few years ago (Dad from NC) and they love it. I have been in NJ for 7 years the NYC Metro for 11 and while I do see some good things here, my personal preference would be VA or NC. Now how does one get there in this economy???

Old 04-22-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I'm from monmouth county NJ. I love NJ but I also love living in Raleigh very much. Come for a visit and see if the area suits you. IMHO it really needs to be about more than just cost of living savings. That will only get you so far. You need to want to be in the Triangle, not just "out of NJ". Good Luck.
thanks so much for the encouragement!! I'm in the process of planning a trip down. I want to surround my upstate NY husband in the atmosphere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
OP, I have not been to NJ in many, many years thus I can not compare the area to NJ. But I did find the manners of children and even McDonald drive thru workers here in NC to be very refreshing. We moved from Portland, OR which generally on a national level is considered to be polite... people let you in on the hwy for instance in Portland. But I found here a lot more pleases, thank yous, hellos from strangers, and well, mannered children, from both locals and transplants. Now well mannered children do not mean they all are that way all the time, nor does it mean mannered children always behave well. My children are well mannered but they still have their moments. I have met plenty of transplanted parents whose children use good manners. And I've met plenty of Southern born & bred kids who could use some manners. But generally speaking I think kids are well mannered here.... maybe it's because their parents are less stressed. (Just a guess.)

I have found drivers more aggressive here (esp. Cary) than Portland. But I imagine from what I've heard this will be a walk in the park compared to No. NJ.

Come for a visit... bring your hubby. But don't come in the middle of the summer when it's so hot. Good luck.
I went to college in Oregon! (Linfield...small private college in McMinnville). You are right about Portland drivers...they tend to be fairly courteous...unless you have California plates...then everyone on the road will be gunning for you! Portland is NOT a fan of California drivers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWS43 View Post
Parents relocated to Cary from Portland a few years ago (Dad from NC) and they love it. I have been in NJ for 7 years the NYC Metro for 11 and while I do see some good things here, my personal preference would be VA or NC. Now how does one get there in this economy???
That is the big question...can we make the move in an economically intelligent way? NJ has the highest median income in the United States I think...it's scary to leave that...but in a way what we would get in a trade off...a house with a yard being my personal favorite...would be worth it!

There are a lot of things I love about New Jersey...but as time has gone on, the things that are frustrating continue to grow.

I guess we'll see what happens. I'm going to "suggest" a trip to NC this evening...see what the hubby thinks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary