Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 07:49 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,405,822 times

Advertisements

OK OK OK....

We obviously got some Durham Boosters here...and we've got some Durham Bashers, too. That's totally fine and dandy and everything, IF this was a thread with a topic like "Durham, Yea or Nea" or something like that.

BUT...this thread is by someone who said they are already planning to move to Durham. He is asking about areas OF Durham which fit certain things he needs to have while he lives IN Durham.

So PLEASE, let's stick to that topic only. No more anti/pro Durham posts, please. The topic is about parts OF Durham that MrBurns can live in.
(Hate to be a hardline moderator here, but some days I swear....)

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 09:30 PM

3 posts, read 11,054 times
Thanks again for the back and forth - I can see that many of you really enjoy living in Durham. Just learning the names of these different neighborhoods is very helpful.

Like RaleighRob said, I'm already sold on moving to Durham (and very excited I might add...not worried about some of the questionable negatives alluded to by other posters). I should have mentioned that my housing price range is rather humble at this point, probably maxing out around 225,000 or so.

Again, thank you. I am happy to have found such a great source for information.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:24 AM

405 posts, read 1,769,873 times
Mrburns--

Then definitely check out Woodlake--and maybe Woodcroft, though the prices will be slightly higher there. Not sure what kind of house you're looking for, but you can certainly find a 3 BR 2.5 BA for around or slightly under that amount in Woodlake. Hope Valley Farms is also worth a look for that price range.

Old 04-11-2007, 04:11 PM

16 posts, read 28,553 times
Default Apartments in hope valley?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnene2k View Post
Agreed with the last two posts...Cary is where are t[snipped]listened to the negatives about Durham from people before getting here but after checking out the area, the best place I found for me and my fiance was in Durham...We live in the Hope Valley area right off MLK parkway...Great location and very safe as I constantly see women running or walking their dogs by themselves even after dark...Durham, like any other city with culture and diversity has it's "bad" areas but as long as you have common sense, you know not to hang out in the corner of a hot spot at midnight...Another note you should consider is that those people that bad mouth Durham don't even live here and hardly ever come to here to know first hand what is and isn't safe...
Are there nice apartments in Hope Valley area? If so, does anyone have names of any I might check? And what is the zip code there?

Thanks!

Old 04-11-2007, 05:59 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,912,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berijoy View Post
Are there nice apartments in Hope Valley area? If so, does anyone have names of any I might check? And what is the zip code there?

Thanks!
I don't know the name of complexes down there... but if you look at a Durham map and look broadly at the area between, more or less, Fayetteville Rd., University Drive/Old Chapel Hill Rd., MLK Jr. Pkwy, and the Southpoint mall, you'll get the Hope Valley area plus environs.

Old 04-11-2007, 06:12 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,054,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berijoy View Post

Thanks!
Check 27707 (the same zip code for the Hope Valley Country Club). You might also find something in 27713 (the zip for Southpoint Mall & some neighborhoods north of I-40).

Old 04-11-2007, 06:32 PM

16 posts, read 28,553 times
Thanks much, Bull City Rising and Mrs. Steel!

Old 08-14-2007, 07:09 PM

5 posts, read 27,586 times
Default Teacher's input on Durham Middle Schools

I was a teacher at Githens Middle School for awhile, and I would not send my children there. Carrington has the best reputation among teachers and community members, and I think it is safer. Githens has significant gang issues, a large teacher turnover (about 80 percent over the past three years,) and a large proportion of students with behavioral issues. They lose excellent teachers year after year because teachers there are treated quite badly by administrators and working in a rough, stressful environment. I was fortunate to be offered another job in Orange County in the middle of the school year, and left at that time. That is how desperate teachers are to leave.

If it continues to fail, I think (and hope) that the entire administration will be replaced by the state. For the safety and success of their students and teachers, it needs to be.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:22 PM

12 posts, read 12,400 times
I would also recommend these areas of SW Durham which is where I live. I feel very safe here, having moved from Boston. We were initially planning on moving to Raleigh and everyone in Raleigh went on about how dangerous Durham was. Thank goodness I came and looked for myself because now I am so glad I live here and not Raleigh! Of course, it's a personal choice but I love this green, vibrant city!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Check 27707 (the same zip code for the Hope Valley Country Club). You might also find something in 27713 (the zip for Southpoint Mall & some neighborhoods north of I-40).

Old 08-14-2007, 07:41 PM

959 posts, read 4,492,274 times
Thank you for the heads up. Before I moved to this house I was told Lowes Grove had discipline issues, and not Githens so we only looked at schools districted to Githens - Jordan, which is where we ended up. Now after we moved I've been hearing the occasional disconcerting comment about Githens. We still have a few years before we have to think about middle school but I'll definitely be monitoring the school. As others have said, it's nice there is a liberal transfer policy within Durham, as well as some magnet/charter options.

It really amazes me what kinds of things can go on in middle and high schools. Granted by the time I was at those ages I was in a private religious all girls school so I had a very sheltered school experience. But am always blown away when I hear about things going on.

This weekend I was chatting with someone in Chapel Hill who said that a neighbor's teenager was beaten into a coma while on his way home from his Chapel Hill high school for dating a girl of another race (he and the attackers were black, and the girl was Asian). And back in Texas a cousin of mine was beaten up to where she needed hospitalization by a group of girls who discovered she was hispanic (she's very light skinned so they didn't realize she was) and wanted to punish her for having all white (non hispanic) friends

It's just really really sad to hear these types of stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurhamTeacher View Post
I was a teacher at Githens Middle School for awhile, and I would not send my children there. Carrington has the best reputation among teachers and community members, and I think it is safer. Githens has significant gang issues, a large teacher turnover (about 80 percent over the past three years,) and a large proportion of students with behavioral issues. They lose excellent teachers year after year because teachers there are treated quite badly by administrators and working in a rough, stressful environment. I was fortunate to be offered another job in Orange County in the middle of the school year, and left at that time. That is how desperate teachers are to leave.

If it continues to fail, I think (and hope) that the entire administration will be replaced by the state. For the safety and success of their students and teachers, it needs to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary