Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 12:58 PM

446 posts, read 1,394,578 times

Advertisements

My house is looking a little tired because the sun has faded my fiber cement siding. I've got no peeling or chips though. So i've gotten a few quotes and they range from $5600 and $3200 for two coats of hand brush....and as low as $1300 from another guy for two spray coats. I think my house was originally done with spray when it was built back in 96. Obviously i'm attracted by the lower price of spray. Just wanted to get some advise here. All jobs include power wash and caulk as needed. My soffits and window surrounds don't need paint, as they are PVC. I googled and got a lot of hits saying that it's ok to spray Hardiplank because of the cement nature of the product. BTW, all quotes were for Sherman Williams or Beher paints. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I'm located in Fuquay if anyone could recommend a painter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 01:33 PM

494 posts, read 1,388,811 times
not sure about spray vs brush other than more labor intensive.I would think if it is prepped good than both ways would adhere well.I do know that there are different grades of paint within a brand,so just because it's sherwin doesn't make it good paint.There is high quality and low quality,within sherwin .Don't be taken be the name brand.fyi

Old 05-07-2009, 01:44 PM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
I think you are showing fade to some degree because the spray is too thin.

Talk to Sherwin Williams about how to measure the mils of paint on the siding, and if they certify paint work.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:05 PM

130 posts, read 390,837 times
Strongly advise you not use Sherwin Williams paint. Consumer Reports has a recent issue on exterior paints you should read.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:22 PM

871 posts, read 3,018,814 times
IMO, spray on hardiplank is just fine. We had it done 2 years ago on our 1998 house, and it looks great. The foremost thing you want to insist on with the painter is that he not spray the soffit vents shut. He needs to tape them off before spraying or it negates the benefit of the vents. Our painter didn't do that and I am still mad.

Just make sure they are neat and you get solid references. You can get it done SO MUCH CHEAPER if you shop around and they do spray. We had our huge house done for about $2400.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:59 PM

446 posts, read 1,394,578 times
Thanks for the feedback. The soffits don't need to be done....they are vinyl. I'm really leaning towards spraying the same color and insisting they do an excellent tape/mask job or I will not pay them. It's SO much cheaper and money is tight....and i'm not going to be in this house 5 years from now anyway.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:14 AM

532 posts, read 2,845,621 times
Default Question for Eloyfan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloyfan View Post
We had our huge house done for about $2400.
Eloyfan, did this price include powerwashing and caulking in addition to painting?

We just had a company out to take a look at rotten wood replacement and he gave me a quote for wash, caulk and paint 3300SF Hardiplank house $4100. I didn't think to ask him whether it was brush or spray or the brand of paint (but I will now because of this thread). House is 11 yrs old with the original paint - sprayed on I think.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:22 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
I built my home and since it is 19 years old, I've had the exterior painted twice.

I prefer BRUSH instead of spray. I think it holds up longer and you get a thicker coat. I have lovely masonite and I keep it caulked and clean and I have to paint every 8 years, although my neighbors seem to paint every 6 years. They spray instead of brush.

Vicki

Old 05-09-2009, 08:59 AM

147 posts, read 427,679 times
Spraying applys a thin coat of paint that is not always the best bet. Hardi board needs to be chaulked and painted to continue to do the job. The stuff is awesome, but can be an expensive nightmare if you let it get away from you, just like the Masonite siding. If you are not certain it was brushed the first time, I would suggest having the whole thing brushed. You can do spray to maintain later, but it is important to make sure you have a really good seal on the siding. That's my two cents...good luck on the project.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:26 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Most builders SPRAY the original coat on. That is what makes me think that is the less expensive way to go.

The first time I had my house painted, I had 3 estimates from 3 painters. Two recommended brush and 1 recommended spray. So I chose brush.

I paid about $4500 (3100 sq. foot house) for them to replace a few of the rotted boards, power wash the entire house, caulk, brush the entire house and the trim and the shutters and doors. I THINK it was one coat on the house and 2 coats on the trim but I could have that reversed.

My painter was not the cheapest but I felt like he was the best! So much so that I called him back when it was time to do it all again!

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary