Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 09:34 PM

850 posts, read 4,741,310 times

Advertisements

I'm a sucker for Sonic's chili cheese coneys. But nothing compares to the best dogs I've ever had in NY in Westchester Co. They slice them, then put them on the grill and they have their own special mustard. Yum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 04:16 AM

1,310 posts, read 2,940,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeHuntress View Post
I second the Lowe's hot dog guy. I've gone to Lowe's quite a few times only for a hotdog.
Ditto. The first few times I went to Lowe's I was sad not see see a hotdog vendor, but someone told me which Lowe's had dogs and now that's the one I frequent. Had my first southern style dog at a golf course last week (with cole slaw) and it was awesome.
Now, can someone tell me where to get a good Chicago dog; you know, the ones with the neon-green relish, celery salt, and the tiny peppers? Or for that matter, how about some good Italian sausage, beef or a combo?

Old 06-08-2009, 10:02 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,294,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ohzrd View Post
Ditto. The first few times I went to Lowe's I was sad not see see a hotdog vendor, but someone told me which Lowe's had dogs and now that's the one I frequent. Had my first southern style dog at a golf course last week (with cole slaw) and it was awesome.
Now, can someone tell me where to get a good Chicago dog; you know, the ones with the neon-green relish, celery salt, and the tiny peppers? Or for that matter, how about some good Italian sausage, beef or a combo?
The dogs at Lowe's are quite good and cheap. The funny thing is the guy who has the stand at the Lowe's in Chapel Hill is always kind of crabby, so now I call it Grumpy Dogs! Having a hot dog place is something I've always wanted to do and can't imagine not enjoying it.

Sheetz gas stations also has some pretty good dogs and at 2 for .99 you can't miss! I find gas station dogs are pretty good in general and always cheap.

For Chicago style hot dogs there's Cloo's Coney Island in Raleigh in Mission Valley. Even tho the guy is from the Detroit area and does coney island style he also does Chicago style with the Vienna brand dogs and the neon green relish (including sport peppers). He also makes his version of "sliders" which are pretty good. Cloos' Coney Island - Raleigh, NC, 27606 - Citysearch

Another Chicago style is in Clayton at Hungry's on Hwy. 70. Hungry's of Clayton The owner is from Chicago and grew up in the business. Not only do they have Chicago style dogs (although not Vienna brand, but they're still quite good), but Chicago style beef sandwiches and gyro's on the spit. It's the only place I know of in the Triangle area to get Chicago style beef sandwiches. She hopes to open a couple more locations around that area soon.

Enjoy!

Old 06-08-2009, 10:24 AM

250 posts, read 463,981 times
Hardee's hotdogs are very good, 2 for 3 bucks. Also try Cookout - you can get them different ways and their nacho cheese & bacon hot dog is really good.

And on the subject of hotdogs - cooking them at home - I've discovered a great topping on them is salsa.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:29 AM

4,168 posts, read 4,879,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeHuntress View Post
I second the Lowe's hot dog guy. I've gone to Lowe's quite a few times only for a hotdog.
I've passed by that food cart at Lowes 100's of times... and it always smells good, but I usually go to Sam's next door to get pizza or a hotdog for lunch. I'm going to try it out next time I'm at Lowes based on the recommendations here.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:55 AM

4 posts, read 7,338 times
O'Dwyers in Wake Forest has garbage plates. They are good, but they aren't Nick Tahous good.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:56 AM

174 posts, read 570,439 times
I grew up in Pittsburgh, home of the "O." I'm spoiled. A truly great hot dog must have a natural casing that snaps when you bite into it. Grilled all beef dog on a steamed bun. Looks like Cloos is about as close as I'll get.

Even after many years in Chicago, I never got used to that weird relish. But a Maxwell Street Polish is worth a trip out to Hungry's in Clayton.

Thanks for the info!

Old 06-08-2009, 11:04 AM

460 posts, read 1,274,385 times
*gag* I don't like the Lowe's dogs...i think they're too 'thick' or something.
I've always liked Snoopy's and Sonic. Good to hear about Cook Out dogs...assumed they would be good...since everything else is...
For home...I love the dang...can't think of the brand name...but they are the really really red dogs (not Carolina Packers). It's gonna bug me the rest of the day.

ETA: yay....it just hit me! - Jesse Jones hot dogs

Old 06-08-2009, 11:26 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluv View Post
That is the Roast Grill near West and Hillsborough. Look for the sign that says "Hot Weiners" and do not ask for ketchup.
:-) Yeah, don't ask for it, if it ain't on the menu!!!! :-)

Been there, I did not think the dogs were very good, but the "atmosphere" was such that everyone needs to go there at least once. I felt like I was being served by George Kastanza's parents. I liked the pricing chart, carried out to 12 dogs, same price per dog, no matter what....

Another place for a good dog is Blinko's on Glenwood out toward Umstead area....

Old 06-08-2009, 06:50 PM

446 posts, read 1,394,500 times
The [SIZE=2][SIZE=3][SIZE=2]Sabrett[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE] guy on 55 in Apex. That's a Hot Dog!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary