Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 02:07 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,974,466 times

Advertisements

As long as this is being discussed, where would residents say is the best RC liturgy in the Triangle, irrespective of language used (I guess by "best", I mean traditional, dignified, stately, reverent, musically competent)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 04:11 PM

260 posts, read 545,291 times
St Rafael's is a very good parish with wonderful Jesuit priests. If looking for the "old school" Catholicism, however, you won't find it there. It is a more progressive parish with lots of youth programs and a very large Hispanic population. It's easy to feel at home there - and absolutely no lack of activity in the parish.

Just MHO.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:40 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,026,401 times
I just started going to the Cathedral when I moved here about a week ago, but I really love it there. I did go to the noon mass which has a wonderful African American flair to it (the hymns are great!), but I find that I prefer the more traditional feel of the other mass times. I think you would enjoy it there.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:09 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,974,466 times
Yeah, there are lots of things that can make a particular parish a good, wonderful, or not so good place. I'm only asking about excellence in traditional liturgy. Unfortunately, in many smaller or medium sized American cities, liturgical excellence may be pretty much lacking entirely. The best one might hope for many places is simply liturgical inoffensiveness: the mass celebrated reverently and with care, in an aesthetically worthy environment that hasn't been wrecked by stripping it bare or more recently constructed of cheap materials and furnished in a tawdry and tasteless manner. Further, I think the excellence of liturgy (or lack of it) tends to be an indicator of the overall cultural resources and tastes of a city or community. NYC (Manhattan), for example, has some very high quality liturgy and music represented in all denominations, not just Catholic, and obviously the city in general excells in all the arts. As you can go down from large population centres, however, both the arts in general and liturgical quality tend to decline. In Texas, only Dallas and Houston are real centres of the musical and performing arts and only these cities have churches with the highest quality of liturgy and music. By contrast, a medium sized city like Austin - with a highly educated population overall - provides little civic support for the arts and tends toward mediocrity in liturgy and church music. Since I don't know the situation in the Triangle, I can't comment from experience and wondered how these factors play out there (I'm interested in the Triangle as an eventual place for relocation, hence my interest).

Old 07-22-2014, 03:19 PM

810 posts, read 1,448,997 times
Is anybody up for an update on this question?

I used to like Roman Catholic mass until they changed it a couple years ago, and the new language and attitudes seemed to me so ugly it actually drove me away. You have my permission to insult me. But meanwhile, are there any Latin Masses or even a pre-recent-change Mass anywhere around here in this year of 2014?

Old 07-22-2014, 04:49 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,026,401 times
You won't find pre-recent-change Masses anywhere. But the Cathedral still has the Latin mass monthly and Sacred Heart in Dunn still has it weekly .

I won't insult you at all, but I was turned off by the changes too until I read a thing that talked about all of them. For example, I was like "under my roof... WTF!?" and saw that they changed the language to match exactly what's said in the Bible (one of the Gospels, I think; I forget now but could look it up). Anyway, that really helped me to embrace the changes.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:28 AM

I looked up the outfit in Dunn but I didn't see it. Which certainly could be my fault but I didn't see it.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:15 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
I looked up the outfit in Dunn but I didn't see it. Which certainly could be my fault but I didn't see it.
First result in Google:

Sacred Heart | home

They have a full schedule posted.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:19 PM

I guess I need someone to show me where it says "Latin Mass".

Old 07-23-2014, 03:34 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
I guess I need someone to show me where it says "Latin Mass".
Are you even Catholic? TLM is the standard abbreviation for Traditional Latin Mass. I am not even Catholic and know that.

The calender clearly says:

Wednesday 6:30pm Extraordinary Form (TLM)
Friday 9:00am Extraordinary Form (TLM)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary