Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 10:43 AM

23 posts, read 111,330 times

Advertisements

Del Webb is developing a retirement community next to Amberly which, in itself, is a planned community. Any comments on this area? All I hear are the positives. I'm wondering how far the mountains/touristy day trips are from Cary? Any locals wishing to share their wealth of info w/me are welcome. We are interested in Costco, Super WalMart, VA, banks, grocery stores, Starbucks (or Seattle's Best), deli/sandwich shops, etc.etc. How much to go to the movies (Regals?).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2006, 11:59 AM

212 posts, read 922,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmJake
Del Webb is developing a retirement community next to Amberly which, in itself, is a planned community. Any comments on this area? All I hear are the positives. I'm wondering how far the mountains/touristy day trips are from Cary? Any locals wishing to share their wealth of info w/me are welcome. We are interested in Costco, Super WalMart, VA, banks, grocery stores, Starbucks (or Seattle's Best), deli/sandwich shops, etc.etc. How much to go to the movies (Regals?).
Del Webb has also opened a SC retirement community that looks very nice on the border of NC and SC - The houses appear to be less expensive than those in NC.
"Sun City Carolina Lakes is located in Lancaster County, South Carolina just 5 miles from the North Carolina border and only a short distance from the Charlotte Metropolitan Area"

Old 07-10-2006, 05:00 PM

Looked into Sun City in Lancaster, SC, but it's absolutely in the middle of nothing and a major schlep to get to stores, etc. which we desire. Yes, homes are pricing about 40K less, as well, lower property tax/lower insurance pricing. The Triangle area is interesting to us for a wide variety of reasons, although it's a tad pricey. We are active seniors with interests in travel and cultural events plus being close to a Veterans Administration medical facility is important. I'm hoping to get a little insight from Cary folks that might have inside info on the Carolina Preserve. It all sounds wonderful, but nothing like living there to really comment on: what are the favorite day trips from Cary? any bug/varmit problems? crime (gangs?) ? Movie theatres (pricing? good facilities?) Weather patterns (tornados?hurricanes?floods?snow and/or ice?) I've lived in Atlanta and spent most of my life in MD - seniors don't like to shovel snow and we stay inside when it's icey outside. DH and I are attracted to Carolina Preserve, but really trying to find thoughts of why "you wouldn't want to relocate there" (so far, everything except the pricing is positive). It's hard to think about moving to a 7% sales tax state when most of what we purchase is at 0% (Delaware is tax free, but one does have to shovel snow up here).....

Old 07-13-2006, 05:37 PM

bouncing this back up to the top - hope some locals w/inside info respond

Old 08-14-2006, 07:10 PM

1 posts, read 13,195 times
Default Love it in Cary and Amberly

Hi, I just read your thread about your interest in the Carolina Preserve by Del Webb at Amberly. I live in the Arlington Park neighborhood within Amberly. I highly recommend the community and Cary NC. The ocean is about 2.5 hrs away, the mountains about 3 hrs. Lots of Starbucks around, their is a Costco in Durham (about 20 minutes away) but I just heard a rumor they may be building one near the community. This area is in the process of a big development boom. Get in at Del Webb while you still can. Im sure it will be a great investment.

Old 08-14-2006, 08:30 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,236,574 times
I just sold a home in Carolina Preserve by Del Webb, which is the 55+ active adult community. Its actually located in Amberly.

I showed my clients quite a few homes in the area but the Del Webb community was wonderful. They spent about $250,000 and got a cute ranch style home...about 1200 sq. ft.

They also get to use the Amberly clubhouse and pool. When Carolina Preserve clubhouse and pool are finished, they can use that too but only the folks in Carolina Preserve get to use that facility.

Looks great to me!

Vicki

Old 04-11-2007, 09:03 PM

229 posts, read 1,054,023 times
Here are details on the most recent release at Carolina Preserve by Del Webb. These homesites have sold SO FAST that the next delivery is Q12008!!! Prices start in the low $200's and go up to $400s.

The current release for new Cardinal, Dogwood and Emerald homesites occurred on Monday March 19th. Here's what is available in the second phase release of homesites:

Cardinal Collection:. The time has come to release these much anticipated cul-de-sac and oversized homesites. These highly sought after homesites are walking distance from Bradford Hall, the 30,000 square foot amenity center. Homesites range from $5,000-$15,000. Estimated timeframe for home completion is January-April 2008.

Dogwood Collection: This release features private wooded homesites as well as oversized corner sites. The Dogwood Collection continues to be a favorite! Interior homesites range from $7,000-$15,000. Wooded homesites range from $30,000-$42,000. Estimated timeframe for completion is April-July 2008.

Emerald Collection: The lifestyle for which Del Webb is famous will be just a short walk from these conveniently located homesites. Interior homesites range from $5,000-$25,000. Wooded basement sites range from $62,000-$70,000. Estimated timeframe for completion is Nov 2007-February 2008.

I have also received requests on details of the realease of the Villa Townhomes. The Villas will be two bedroom, two bath townhomes with approximately 1,200 square feet. These sites will be released in Phase Three which is due for release in the September/October timeframe with delivery in late 2008.

Just received an email today that Carolina Preserve has 3 lots with FREE BASEMENTS (3/25)!!! Send me a PM for more details.

Del Webb has sold over 400 homes in Carolina Preserve in only 10 months!

Old 04-11-2007, 10:24 PM

115 posts, read 596,179 times
Thumbs down Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
They spent about $250,000 and got a cute ranch style home...about 1200 sq. ft.
$250000 for 1200 sq. ft. isn't very good no matter how "cute" it is. I saw the models and was disappointed in the quality of workmanship. If the models lead to questions, the "real" houses are probably worse.

I removed this location from consideration.

Old 04-12-2007, 05:42 AM

229 posts, read 1,054,023 times
Arrow Carolina Preserve Villas

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitneylion View Post
$250000 for 1200 sq. ft. isn't very good no matter how "cute" it is. I saw the models and was disappointed in the quality of workmanship. If the models lead to questions, the "real" houses are probably worse.

I removed this location from consideration.
The Villas will be less expensive--for the same square footage, much less than $200k. I hope this helps.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:52 AM

478 posts, read 2,045,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmJake View Post
Looked into Sun City in Lancaster, SC, but it's absolutely in the middle of nothing and a major schlep to get to stores, etc. which we desire.
And massive tele-evanglism compound, City of Light. Not everyone's cuppa, that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary