Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 11:46 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,384,360 times

Advertisements

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...595245,00.html

Here's an interesting article about whether to buy organic or local produce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 12:12 PM

110 posts, read 332,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhouse View Post
I have to find out where I read it, but the gist of a recent report was that these days it almost makes no sense to buy "organic" except for a few vegetables that are on a hot list of those that suck up toxins. The actual difference in "organic" and "non-organic" items has shrunk to almost nothing. In other words Whole Foods etc are making money hand over fist less legitimately than they used to. It was interesting. If I can find the report I'll come back with the link.

Well darn. I can't find it, maybe I heard it on the radio on the way home from work. Anyway there is much interesting reading out there. The Wikipedia entry on organic foods has much to say on both sides of the coin. Hmmmmm....

Old 04-25-2007, 12:34 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,859,938 times
I totally agree with buying locally and skipping Wal mart. As far as buying organic goes, dairy and eggs are a good place to start. I think it's more important to eat the right things rather than get stuck on organic labels because cookies are cookies. Buying organic cookies isn't going to make you healthy. Stock up on fresh produce and pass on the prepackaged stuff. The trans fats in the organic cake will kill you faster than the pesticides in your strawberries. We buy organic when we can, but we just can't afford to shop at Whole Foods all the time.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:55 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,962,065 times
Thanks so much for this information - makes me happier about moving to Durham! Also I did have Pepper's pizza last week on my apartment hunting trip and it was top notch!

Old 04-25-2007, 02:42 PM
gen

39 posts, read 207,709 times
Anyone know of a co-op in Raleigh?

Old 04-25-2007, 04:11 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Along these same lines. . . . . we have a damn fine microbrewery right here in Holly Springs! Switch from your Bud/Miller/Coors and you'll never look back.

Old 04-25-2007, 06:42 PM

548 posts, read 2,647,149 times
I joined Timerwoods Organics. They are a local farm (outside Carrboro). You pay once, and they deliver whatever is in season (to the entire Triangle region). A big box of stuff, and you don't go pick it up--they deliver it. I get the small box (you can get small or large) on purpose--I don't want to end up throwing things away and I don't want to feel obligated to eat enormous amoutns of something I may not particularly like but which shows up in my box that week!

I don't get everything I need from them, so I still buy from the Farmers Market as well. But one thing I love about it (besides that it shows up on my doorstep, which w/3 kids, is always a plus!) is that if I buy things myself I always end up with the same foods. I go w/the tried and true, and never really venture out. This way, when something shows up which I have never cooked (and would never buy), I get out the recipe book, and try something new!

Plus, for all the hype Carrboro Farmers Market gets (Top 10 in the nation I kept reading) it's not all that impressive. It's ok...but really options are pretty limited. I've lived a lot of places with much better, more varied farmers markets. I have no idea where this "top 10" thing got started or how!!

Love it!!

Old 04-25-2007, 06:52 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,384,360 times
MaimounaKande,

I am so disappointed to hear that the Carrboro Farmer's Market isn't amazing! I guess I had built it up in my mind to be the best Farmer's Market ever.

Have you received your produce from the farm yet? If so do you like what you've received?

Jackie

Old 04-25-2007, 07:14 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Along these same lines. . . . . we have a damn fine microbrewery right here in Holly Springs! Switch from your Bud/Miller/Coors and you'll never look back.
Absolutely right!
Carolina Brewing Company:

From my Carolina Pale Ale bottle label:

"At CBC we have no interest in national distribution of our beer or global domination of the Brewing industry. We are just a couple of people doing our very best to bring the local area some fine fresh beer-Enjoy!"

The Octoberfest brew is a sublime event in the fall.

Do they still do the Saturday tours?

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 04-25-2007 at 08:16 PM..

Old 04-25-2007, 08:15 PM

607 posts, read 2,430,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Hear! Hear! I will do my part and help support the community

Cheers,

Liz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary