Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 08:06 PM

104 posts, read 403,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbywan View Post
Really, Experienced teachers? Almost 30 years, rated a master teacher in NJ.

Been substitute teaching in wake county schools the past 4 months. Nothing!

Been told I have too many years. I am too expensive! They can hire two teachers for my salary.

Wake County is just like all other districts, Money is the bottom line. Not the best teacher but the cheapest.
I have also heard that they are looking for teachers right out of college because of the pay. I've been out of college for 3 years but only subbed since then (I'm from NJ where the job market SUCKS).

How does subbing work in Wake? I know for NJ they call you within the district but our district only had 6 Elementary Schools. Do you just work in a certain area or are you called throughout Wake Co?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2007, 09:41 PM

67 posts, read 285,305 times
Sorry, but you are just flat out wrong.

Schools could care less where you are on the pay scale - the State pays teacher's salaries, so it does not affect the school's budget one bit to hire a veteran teacher over an inexperienced one.

Old 05-04-2007, 10:35 PM

104 posts, read 403,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelcoach View Post

Schools could care less where you are on the pay scale - the State pays teacher's salaries, so it does not affect the school's budget one bit to hire a veteran teacher over an inexperienced one.
I just said, that is what I heard from several people, including principals from Wake Co. Is it true, I don't know. That is why I said "that is what I heard"

Old 05-05-2007, 04:43 AM

709 posts, read 934,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelcoach View Post

The principal still has a fixed amount in his budget.

Now tell me do I hire a guy on step 28 at 55 K or two at the 1st step for 32K each??

I have been told by two principals why they might go with the new teachers.

Old 05-05-2007, 04:45 AM

709 posts, read 934,224 times
Substitute teaching, You could sub everyday. Phone system, I am signed up at 14 schools and I have 20+ jobs avail daily.

Old 05-05-2007, 11:02 AM

76 posts, read 272,210 times
Default Chapel Hill Schools?

Some of you mentioned Chapel-Hill schools. Now is the district for these schools Chapel-Hill Carbarro City schools? I was considering applying there - have done a little research but wonder what are the reasons they are well known?

They seem to have good incentives for teachers to relocate as well and also have a 12% supplement like Wake County.

Maybe the changes and the lawsuits the school district is dealing with right now is causing delays in hiring - who knows. I have a contact in HR - if I hear anything from her regarding these issues I will let you all know

Old 05-05-2007, 11:19 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,054,971 times
Urbywan, how much are you making as a substitute? Does the income compare to taking a permanent teaching position? Why are you unwilling to accept a lower pay rate? Just curious about your reasoning.

Old 05-05-2007, 01:59 PM

67 posts, read 285,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbywan View Post
The principal still has a fixed amount in his budget.

Now tell me do I hire a guy on step 28 at 55 K or two at the 1st step for 32K each??

I have been told by two principals why they might go with the new teachers.
Nope, sorry. Schools are allocated a # of teachers - regardless of the pay/experience of those teachers. It's simply not a monetary amount - it's a position amount - e.g. 35 regular ed teaching positions in my school's case.

The only time a teacher's experience would matter is if a school has some locally paid positions. But most schools get around that by simply listing their most inexperienced teachers as their local teachers.

Old 05-05-2007, 07:08 PM

95 posts, read 286,584 times
Default Part time teaching?

Are any of you looking for part time teaching jobs? I am more than willing to take a part time job. I would actually prefer it. How hard are they to get?

Old 07-21-2008, 08:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,303 times
I am a new teacher with no experience aside from student teaching. I have been on seven interviews in four different districts. I have an interview on Tuesday but am a little worried it will be a waste of gas money because the principal informed me there are three other contenders but it would be "helpful" if I could come. Does that mean she is simply required to interview a fourth person before she can make a recommendation for the position?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary