Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2021, 09:15 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,767,831 times

Advertisements

I always preferred clockwise/counterclockwise to inner/outer. Always felt like my brain needed an extra half-second with the inner/outer thing. Once 540 came about, it got obvious real quick that the inner/outer wasn’t gonna work anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2021, 07:12 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
What’s so aggravating about it? If I’m going somewhere once I’m not going to break out my map which I do have in my trunk. Living out west and camping taught me to always have a back up plan. For everything else, I’ll just use my phone or my car’s built-in GPS, if I have no service. There is nothing wrong with that. I appreciate people who live out giving detailed directions, everyone else? Why? Give me your address and I can look it up in 2 minutes and will know what your driveway looks like and may tell what color your door is. Honestly, out of all types of tech - mappings, GIS, etc. is one of the most useful ones.

The aggravation is the lazy agent who breaks the MLS rules they have agreed to abide by and doesn't post turn by turn directions to addresses.

GPS.
I beat plenty of clients using GPS to homes, because I know neighborhoods.
LOL
Who would hire an agent who doesn't know how to find their listing without GPS?

Old 05-10-2021, 08:33 AM

58 posts, read 56,154 times
Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
I always preferred clockwise/counterclockwise to inner/outer. Always felt like my brain needed an extra half-second with the inner/outer thing. Once 540 came about, it got obvious real quick that the inner/outer wasn’t gonna work anymore.
True, I agree...it always used to confuse me when I visit.

Old 05-10-2021, 08:36 AM

Any suggestions on the best banks and credit unions with safe deposit facility, minimal fees, etc.,? Thanks

Old 05-10-2021, 09:27 AM

1,204 posts, read 776,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
The aggravation is the lazy agent who breaks the MLS rules they have agreed to abide by and doesn't post turn by turn directions to addresses.

GPS.
I beat plenty of clients using GPS to homes, because I know neighborhoods.
LOL
Who would hire an agent who doesn't know how to find their listing without GPS?

Who cares if the agent can tell directions turn by turn? Especially in this area where things are changing constantly. That's probably the last thing I am looking in an agent I'll be hiring. I hire an agent so that she/he can help me negotiate things and walk me through all the confusing laws. More so if I am buying in a state that is new to me. My agent is not my driver. Some people are directionally challenged. They can get from point A to B however they want to. But, they should be able to recommend an inspection guy, have an idea about schools, read the inspection, prioritize things, and when needed to pick up the phone and get things done. Other crap?As I said I am not looking for a driver. I do not care if she/he beats me to homes. What I care that she/he shows up on time, and answers my questions.

I've lived here for two years, and due to all the trees and no grid system, I still get turned around when I drive. It takes me a second to go "oh yeah, turn right to get to Erwin/Cameron/University, etc". I do know Durham and CH very well. But, drop me somewhere like Carrboro or Hillsboro and I am getting my phone out.

As for MLS, they do not strike me as an organization that's very innovative or tech-savvy. I wouldn't surprised if they ask you to have a back up abacus to do your calculations, just in case.

Old 05-10-2021, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
Who cares if the agent can tell directions turn by turn? Especially in this area where things are changing constantly. That's probably the last thing I am looking in an agent I'll be hiring. I hire an agent so that she/he can help me negotiate things and walk me through all the confusing laws. More so if I am buying in a state that is new to me. My agent is not my driver. Some people are directionally challenged. They can get from point A to B however they want to. But, they should be able to recommend an inspection guy, have an idea about schools, read the inspection, prioritize things, and when needed to pick up the phone and get things done. Other crap? I am not hiring a driver. I do not care if she/he beats me to homes. What I care that she/he shows up on time, and answers my questions.

I've lived here for two years, and due to all the trees and no grid system, I still get turned around when I drive. It takes me a second to go "oh yeah, turn right to get to Erwin/Cameron/University, etc". I do know Durham and CH very well. But, drop me somewhere like Carrboro or Hillsboro and I am getting my phone out.
As for MLS, they do not strike me as an organization that's very innovative or tech-savvy. I wouldn't surprised if they ask you to have a back up abacus to do your calculations, just in case.

Yes, it is common for intolerant people to bicker about rules they don't understand or don't see as necessary for them.

Pro Tip:
If you make an agreement with me and decide to lie or cheat later, whether for convenience or because you think you are superior, you are just a liar or a cheater.
That is actually how it works in life.

And, EVERY MLS member who enters listing has made that agreement to abide by the rules in place as a responsibility of membership.
Yes, we have liars and cheaters as members of the MLS.
And, lazy and untrained and unsupervised members, too.

But, "Who Cares" about liars and cheaters? Honest people do.
Case closed.

Old 05-11-2021, 08:11 AM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
FWIW...

I always input "turn by turn" directions to my listings in MLS...especially because about 1/3 of the listings I've had are in a condo development where locating specific addresses within the community is exceptionally challenging...

HOWEVER.

I also almost always use Siri for directions when showing properties. She's especially helpful when it comes to finding alternate routes when there is heavy traffic/an accident. No shame to be had for that. I also have Siri set to an irish accent so hearing her say "go pawst these lights, and at the next set, turn right into the car-park".... brings joy.

Last edited by TarHeelNick; 05-11-2021 at 08:49 AM..

Old 05-11-2021, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
FWIW...

I always input "turn by turn" directions to my listings in MLS...especially because about 1/3 of the listings I've had are in a condo development where locating specific addresses within the community is exceptionally challenging...

HOWEVER.

I also almost always use Siri for directions when showing properties. She's especially helpful when it comes to finding alternate routes when there is heavy traffic/an accident. No shame to be had for that. I also have Siri set to an irish accent so hearing her say "go pawst these lights, and at the next set, turn right into the car-park".... brings joy.

You have made two choices.
1. To honor your MLS agreement to abide by the rules.
2. To take an alternative approach yourself.

Well done.

Old 05-11-2021, 01:04 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelangov View Post
Any suggestions on the best banks and credit unions with safe deposit facility, minimal fees, etc.,? Thanks
You might try posting this in the main forum instead of on a guide of local terms etc. You should get a response there.

Old 05-12-2021, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
You might try posting this in the main forum instead of on a guide of local terms etc. You should get a response there.
Good idea, Zitsky! Will do. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary